Would this be offensive?

Beth76

DIS Veteran
My son takes Tae Kwon Do and is having his birthday party at the studio this weekend. TKD is a Korean martial art. I'm looking for gift bag things and at the party store they had little boxes like the ones you get from Chinese restaurants. They had different colors and some said "Happy Birthday". They didn't have any Chinese characters on them. Now I'm not getting them because of the Asian tie-in. I just thought they were cute. Do you think that would be tacky?

I wouldn't think it was offensive at all. I have used them and have seen them used at all kinds of birthday parties.

Denae

they sell them at wedding supply places. I think they are cute :)

cute idea...I used them for housing DD's birthday party favors at Halloween, got them off Oriental Trading.

Not tacky at all! I use the chinese food containers all the time for gifts! That's b/c I have a ton of them! When I wanted them, they weren't popular or easy to find in the stores so I had to go to a restaurant supply store and buy 200 of them. I only paid $8 for 200, so figured I was getting off cheap. Since I have so many of them, I use them for everything. They're white and have no other markings, so I decorate them w/stickers appropriate for the occassion I'm giving the gifts for.

I think it's an adorable tie-in to the party!

I just depends on how politically correct you want to be. TKD is a Korean art and you are giving gift bags out in Chinese take out containers. While I agree they are cute. I'm thinking that this may not be the proper venue for the containers.

I know that if I did this, I'd think that some moms would be like "what an idiot she is. Does she think that everything Asian is Chinese."

I would save the containers for another party.

TKD is a Korean art and you are giving gift bags out in Chinese take out containers.
Think of it this way - she isn't giving out gift bags in Chinese Food take-out containers - she is giving out gift bags in Koran Food take-out containers.

I am half asian and find them morally disgusting and reprehensible! How DARE you?!

I kid. I've been looking for those suckers for a future party for the longest time. I think they're cool!

I go to the Korean grocery store and they don't use those containers in the store. When I get take out, there are clear lids with black bottoms

I'm not one of those mothers who would notice that Chinese/Korean but you know there is always one at every party that makes the rounds with tidbits of info....

I'm sure someone, somewhere would be offended. But they'd probably be an American deciding to be offended for someone else. I seriously doubt any Korean or Chinese folks would give a hairy rat's butt.

I think it's sad when we have to be so careful about everything. Yes, we should always consider other people's feelings. Yes, we should always be sensitive to others. No, we shouldn't have to agonize over every little thing. I know where you're coming from, OP. I always worry that I'm going to hurt someone's feelings. However, if anyone is offended by generic packaging, they can return the gift and be done with it. Happy birthday to your son!!!!

I think it would be fine. Some nitpicker would definitely notice but unless it is stressed every day that TKD is a KOREAN art very few will notice at all. Frankly, I would notice but I wouldn't care.

I can't really see that as being offensive. It sounds cute to me.

I'm not so much worried about the other parents as I am about the Korean guys who will be running the party. I'll have to talk to my DH anyway. He takes classes there as well and I'm guessing he won't want me to do it--just in case.

I am half asian and find them morally disgusting and reprehensible! How DARE you?!

I kid. I've been looking for those suckers for a future party for the longest time. I think they're cool!

:laughing:

I am part Chinese and I don't see a problem with it either.

If you feel you need to, I would ask those guys, but I can't see any harm. In martial arts, I believe they all share part of their cultures, part of their histories, and overlap anyway, kwim? Maybe integrate it as such - an Asian infusion.

Party sounds exciting - GL!

:laughing:

I am part Chinese and I don't see a problem with it either.

If you feel you need to, I would ask those guys, but I can't see any harm. In martial arts, I believe they all share part of their cultures, part of their histories, and overlap anyway, kwim? Maybe integrate it as such - an Asian infusion.

Party sounds exciting - GL!

Asian infusion... guess that means you and I are invited to the party! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter