Would this be a wise idea

jockotaco

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are banking points from VGC so that we can go to Aulani. Would it make any sense to sell our points and buy someones Aulani points in order to book at 11 months. Although we will have some fees does this make any Sense from an availability perspective. We will have a 3 month window in which we can travel so I am not sure if availability for a 1 or 2 bedroom will even be an issue.

Would it make sense? Maybe. It depends on when you need to travel. If you have a short window within Aulani's busy season maybe. You have to determine if you will be able to book at 7-months or will it be full with Aulani owners. If you have to travel during Aulani's busy period, you are probably better off renting Aulani points. But...will they be available? can you afford them?

If your travel dates have some flexibility and you think you can book at the 7-month window, then it doesn't really matter. You may want to inquire with member services as to the "likelihood" they would be booked. Truthfully, many people book at the 11-month just to reserve a room (all resorts, not just Aulani) then change their plans.

If you have VGC as your home, you might secure a reservation in February for Christmas week, knowing that no one else can until May. But come June or July, you might decide to switch it to November or February.

Aulani is a much much larger resort than VGC. And, as they are selling more points they are adding new inventory all the time. You should be able to get a 1 bedroom at 7 months especially considering they'll be opening Phase 3 next year, probably even a 2 bedroom though in general 1 bedrooms are the last to book up.

However, if you feel like making someone's day and want the peace of mind you could always post an offer to swap reservations with an Aulani owner ...

I did this for a WDW trip we have planned this December, found two owners who had the resorts I wanted for stays that were similar in points to mine in months nearby, and I made their reservation at VGC at the 11 month mark and they made mine. It was much easier than renting/transferring/finding somebody to rent me points for the 11 month window and I got exactly the dates/room sizes I wanted.

If you have a 3 month window to travel and will try and book exactly at 7 months I really doubt you need to sell VGC points for Aulani. Is it a yearly trip to Aulani that you plan on? If so then there might be some sense to owning there but I still think you'll be fine as long as you have some flexibility on when you go. And if you are open to different views I also think it's doubtful you wouldn't be able to get a room. Just last night I glanced at availability at Aulani for just under 7 months out and could have had most everything. The exception I believe was the standard view studio that was missing a night or two. I looked at 1Br's also but not 2Br's.

I did this for a WDW trip we have planned this December, found two owners who had the resorts I wanted for stays that were similar in points to mine in months nearby, and I made their reservation at VGC at the 11 month mark and they made mine. It was much easier than renting/transferring/finding somebody to rent me points for the 11 month window and I got exactly the dates/room sizes I wanted.

I never thought of this sounds like a good idea and so much easier -

However, if you feel like making someone's day and want the peace of mind you could always post an offer to swap reservations with an Aulani owner ...

taaren, how did you find these other owners -- on the DVC rental thread?

This is a great idea and something to consider. I own BLT points, which could be valuable to someone at 11 months and we would love to stay at BCV at some point, which we have found to be difficult at 7 months (at least in the time frames that we've tried).

If you could find a willing Aulani member, transferring their Aulani points into your membership would give you greater control over those points as well as the ability to bank those points for the future.

Stephen

Aulani is a much much larger resort than VGC. And, as they are selling more points they are adding new inventory all the time. You should be able to get a 1 bedroom at 7 months especially considering they'll be opening Phase 3 next year, probably even a 2 bedroom though in general 1 bedrooms are the last to book up.

From all reports, sales have been slow so that means that DVD hasn't declared a lot of units into the association. Just because a unit is built doesn't mean that owners have access to it.

:earsboy: Bill

VGC is a resort in high demand. I believe you'll not have any problem finding an Aulani owner willing to swap a reservation with you, if you'll ever have problems getting a reservation into Aulani.

I think you got lucky. Taking this approach limits the number of potential players dramatically. I'm glad it worked out for you but I think it's such an usual scenario that I wouldn't think it worth putting a lot of effort into. IMO it'd be much easier and better to rent and pay cash than to try the private direct exchange. Plus for the person going last, the risk is the same or more anyway all else being equal.

How do you find the other renters on this board? I too am wanting Aulani for next summer, I would trade our two different home resorts or transfer points so I could control the booking. D

I found the owners that I traded with on the rental board of the DISboards, as well as on the other forum that shall not be named for DVC owners.

Honestly, I have no idea if it will be easier or not for other people, all I know is I tried to find people to transfer in points for the resorts I wanted ahead of the 11 month mark and deals kept falling through (in the past I have successfully rented/transferred in lots of soon-to-expire points, as well as extra points for my own resort that were not expiring so I thought it would be easy).

As soon as I posted for a swap and responded to a post for a swap, things worked out after several conversations and even though we don't have control over our own reservations, we've done our due diligence and are happy with the decision. Is it for everybody? Nope. Is renting for everybody? Nope. Might it work for other people? Your mileage may vary, but I thought it would be helpful for some to know that it is a possibility to explore at the very least, with its own unique pluses and minuses. So take that with a grain of salt. Particularly for someone who owns VGC points because there are so much fewer of us, and they are that valuable it might be a better use to trade. Or it might not. Totally up to you and not advocating anything, just putting it out there that it worked for me. Mine may be a unique experience, but I doubt it. Unusual, perhaps, but do-able.

So far, I've had good luck getting reservations at Aulani close to what I wanted within the month (in December, got a studio, would have liked pool view but it was there one day and the next day when I was ready to book there were only OV) and the week of a reservation (in January, they had a 1 bdr pool villa for that weekend (on Thurs for Saturday) but my friend decided to go with a hotel room anyways since they had a decent kamaaina rate).
The reservations I wanted were also only for a few nights at a time due to my proximity, multiple night stretches may be more difficult. Summer months will probably be busier at Aulani, and I've seen reports on here of people having a hard time getting what they wanted for June at 7 months ... I'd be curious to know if any of their wait lists came through due to declared inventory. :confused3

To the OP - if you really don't want to go through the hassle and you are open to a variety of units (ie aren't set on a standard view studio or 2 bedroom), and are open to a variety of dates I think the second poster is right in that you don't need to look at renting or trading points. But that's just IMHO and there are lots of other opinions, so feel free not to take it. :goodvibes

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest