• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would someone strumming an acoustic guitar on their balcony bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt read all the replies, but if they were decent (sounds like he is) and if he wasnt rocking out or playing really loudly (doesnt sound like it) I would love it day or night, any hour. I will agree with the singing part, and if they arent very good though, not a fun time. Nice soft jazz or blues or even 'classical-ish' would be cool with me. But again, it would have to be 'easy listening' for me to enjoy it at disney.

I have to ask if he would be leaving the guitar in the room when you all go out to the parks...it definitely won't fit in the room safe and I'd hate to leave anything that valuable sitting around in a hotel room, personally.

Add me to the list of those who it WOULD bother! Sorry - I think no matter how softly he was playing - if I could hear it........... I'd probably find it intrusive - esp. if he was on the balcony right next to me.

Just curious - you said you'd called and were awaiting a reply.......... did you get one?

I have to ask if he would be leaving the guitar in the room when you all go out to the parks...it definitely won't fit in the room safe and I'd hate to leave anything that valuable sitting around in a hotel room, personally.

Yes - it's in it's own case, which I imagine would be stored in the closet. It's a pretty good size guitar, so it wouldn't be carried out unnoticed.

Add me to the list of those who it WOULD bother! Sorry - I think no matter how softly he was playing - if I could hear it........... I'd probably find it intrusive - esp. if he was on the balcony right next to me.

Just curious - you said you'd called and were awaiting a reply.......... did you get one?

Not yet - I sent an e-mail this afternoon. I'll definitely share the reply when I get it. :goodvibes

I have to say that it would probably bother me but it sounds like you are trying to be as considerate as possible by asking for opinions and checking with the GF hotel. However, like everything else, everyone has different likes and dislikes. If he's a great guitar player and plays some soft acoustic (not too late in the evening) I may actually enjoy it!!

It wouldn't bother me at all, I enjoy guitar music! You aren't going in August, are you? We will be at the GF too!

However, like everything else, everyone has different likes and dislikes.

That's definitely true. I'm not a big fan of acoustic guitar. That guy on the home shopping channel (Esteban, I think?) makes me want to stab myself in the ear with an ice pick. So having blues or Spanish guitar playing on a neighboring balcony would not be my cup of tea at all. On the other hand, I'd be tickled pink if someone at my resort had brought their bagpipes or Irish whistles. I could handle the fiddle, for a little while anyway. I'd even enjoy hearing a piano (though that would probably be difficult to fit onto the balcony). Guitar, not so much.

That's definitely true. I'm not a big fan of acoustic guitar. That guy on the home shopping channel (Esteban, I think?) makes me want to stab myself in the ear with an ice pick. So having blues or Spanish guitar playing on a neighboring balcony would not be my cup of tea at all. On the other hand, I'd be tickled pink if someone at my resort had brought their bagpipes or Irish whistles. I could handle the fiddle, for a little while anyway. I'd even enjoy hearing a piano (though that would probably be difficult to fit it onto the balcony). Guitar, not so much.

Oooooo bagpipes!! Now you're talking! :laughing:

Not yet - I sent an e-mail this afternoon. I'll definitely share the reply when I get it. :goodvibes

Please do............ I'm curious to know what they say. Also, since I didn't say it before.......... I certainly appreciate the consideration you (your DH) are clearly giving this - one has to respect you for that!

Either way.......... I hope you enjoy your vacation!

I don't think it would bother me. I almost always listen to music as I'm falling asleep, and it seems as if this would be calming, quiet music. Then again, I currently live in a dorm. I play the flute, but rarely, if ever, practice in the room. Part of it is that I'm self-conscious of others hearing me play, and part of it is that I don't want to disturb others. I have an oboe player down the hall :headache: which when played well is awesome, in this case not so much. We also have guitar/bass players downstairs, who plug in their amps and play very late. Not so much a fan of that. I guess as long as he is willing to stop if asked, it would be okay. I do agree with others though that leaving something that valuable in the room might be unwise, regardless of size. How would anyone know if the person carrying it is the actual owner? If he can live without it for the time you're there, then leave it at home. :thumbsup2

I'm not sure if this would bother me or not. It depends on what mood I'm in. Some posts have indicated that people talking loudly, laughing, children being loud is annoying. Although, I would agree that this type of behaviour is sometimes annoying it is to be expected as this is what most people do, talk, laugh, etc. But, playing a guitar, radio, or any type of music is not a normal everyday occurence on a hotel balcony.

I really think that one complaint to the front desk would stop your husband from playing even if it was being done softly. I agree with another post that said, if you husband asked if the music was bothering me, I would probably smile and say no, it's fine. Even if I was not enjoying it. I wouldn't want to embarrass him or myself. A lot of people are very uncomfortable being put on the spot.

I think its pretty obvious that the hotel would ask your husband to stop playing even if only one person complained. I don't think they would want to have to move other guests around.

I suppose I am skeptical that a complaint to the front desk would bring any consequences - it doesn't seem to when the cheerleaders are cheering late at night or when their are loud people in the "quiet" pool after hours

It's not so much the noise aspect that bothers me, it's the fact that the noise isn't everyday noise (kids, people talking, etc.) it's music. Music is so subjective, what makes it annoying is that you might not like it and might not be able to get away from it. So that's my biggest problem, even in the room I don't know if I'd be able to hear it through the walls but, even if I did I might not be able to put a stop to it. It just depends on what the resort rules are. I probably wouldn't be one to complain about it, unless it was really intrusive, and even then who knows if the hotel staff would or could put a stop to it.

A big question is, if one person complains will that really stop your husband? You already see a lot of people on this thread might be bothered by the music and that doesn't seem to be swaying your opinion about playing at the resort (which is fine, you are more than willing to make your own decisions). If a person asks your husband to stop, would he? If he stops would be just stop intermittently or for the rest of the vacation?

I can tell you what the reply from Disney will be before it even comes back. Unless you personally know the GM at the Grand Floridian, your email is not going to go to that person, it will be rerouted to Guest Communciations where you will get the canned Disney response.

If you write and/or call and ask if you play your guitar quietly on your balcony they are going to say, sure have a good time.

If someone else writes and/or calls and says I do not want to be distrubed by someone playing a guitar on a balcony right next to mine, their reply will be that they will certainly not let that happen.

Disney is going to respond postively to the question asked.

Yes - it's in it's own case, which I imagine would be stored in the closet. It's a pretty good size guitar, so it wouldn't be carried out unnoticed.

You do realize as that anything unsecured in your room risks the chance of being stolen. Just because it would not go unnoticed being carried out, would not mean anyone would know it was stolen.

Someone stole a very large piece of art work off the wall of the lobby of the Wildnerness Lodge. :scared1:

What type of music does your husband play?

A long as you can play, I wouldn't care either. Just obey early morning operational hours, which is no earlier then 7AM.

It is hard to say. It might not bother me, but not having heard him play, I can't say for sure.

I do have to say, beauty/relaxing/enjoyable is in the eyes of the beholder. Would it bother you if someone played say an accordion softly on their balcony next to you. Or whistled? Those are things many might find annoying, unless you engage in those things personally and find it a great way to express yourself musically or unwind.

And I always go back to what my mom used to say: If everyone did that same thing, how it would it turn out. Sure one guy playing a guitar softly who is a talented muscian doesn't seem like a big deal. Just like one person doing anything isn't a big deal. But sometimes, we just have to figure that even if we are just one, its not necessarily apporpriate to do in public.

I am of the mind that if he brings it, it should be played in the room. Those balconies are close together. The man sitting next to me at the Poly was talking softly on his cell phone and it drove me inside quite quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter