Would love a MAGIC pill..... but

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone else has already said, this is a common hot button topic on this board.

Allow me to summarize the entire thread, so that you won't have to read 20 pages looking for people that are flaming you, and having you respond. . .

Brilliant! You just saved the OP a *ton* of reading. :)

Although I will say (this is OT and I am NOT an engineer) that I think the 40" height restriction for Soarin' is pretty silly. I can see it for Test Track or other fast/high/jerky/insert dangerous adjective here/ rides, but Soarin'? C'mon. I understand they have to be careful, but it seems a little extreme to me.

Although I will say (this is OT and I am NOT an engineer) that I think the 40" height restriction for Soarin' is pretty silly. I can see it for Test Track or other fast/high/jerky/insert dangerous adjective here/ rides, but Soarin'? C'mon. I understand they have to be careful, but it seems a little extreme to me.

It has something to do with the way the seat restraints fit.

It has something to do with the way the seat restraints fit.

I figured as much. And I understand Disney's "safety first" POV. I just wish they'd designed the ride so that the height restriction on such an otherwise family-friendly ride wasn't quite so severe.

Now back to figuring out how to get the OP's daughter past those measuring sticks!

Height restrictions have more to do with how the seats are designed and how the restraints fit than the intensity of the ride.

I figured as much. And I understand Disney's "safety first" POV. I just wish they'd designed the ride so that the height restriction on such an otherwise family-friendly ride wasn't quite so severe.

Now back to figuring out how to get the OP's daughter past those measuring sticks!

Yeah, but then, of course, if your seat restraint is specialized to fit a 38 inch child, you’re going to have an issue that it doesn’t fit a 5'9", 300 pound woman. And the complaints roll in.

There’s something to be said for waiting your turn to grown up. Not everything has to be catered to little children.

As someone else has already said, this is a common hot button topic on this board.

Allow me to summarize the entire thread, so that you won't have to read 20 pages looking for people that are flaming you, and having you respond. . .

It's what makes the DIS keep going.

Enjoy.

:rotfl::lmao:

I went with the new angle, the ride is closed anyway. :laughing:

last year we went for our dd3 3rd b-day and she has always been tall for her age. At home before we left she had her 3 yr check up and right at 40 inches we left for DW two days later we also checked at home before we left. She was not able to ride any ride that was 40 inches:sad1: When she was measured at the dr she was in bare feet and dw she was in crocs. So we just assumed they had a it a little higher than the actual 40 inch mark. She actually could have ridden Dinosaur because the cast member wasnt checking at all but we went to the measuring stick and it was the same. So just be prepared because we had all reason(confirmed by dr) that she would be able to ride but couldn't. But, we are going again this year and she will get to ride everything she couldn't before:yay::woohoo:

You: Kid is an inch too short
anonymous poster (ap)1: Buy shoes that will increase height
ap2: they can and will measure barefooted if there is a question
ap1: no they won't
ap2: it happened to my daughter
ap3: it is a violation of DIS rules of usage to recommend or provide ways around disney rules or regulations
ap1 (to ap2): it didn't happen
ap4: just put her hair up in a hat
ap5: the rules are there for safety
ap2: you're right, I wasn't standing there when it happened.
ap4: those rules have wiggle room
OP: um, this is starting to really get out of hand, I don't want to do anything that will get people angry
ap5 (to ap4): are you an engineer? did you design the ride?
ap1 (to ap5): those rules have wiggle room (a lot of times people that engage in side conversations miss what others post)
ap6: I think that OP should be ashamed of themselves for even trying to put their precious little son/daughter/miniture pinscher into a dangerous situation like that. You should be arrested, thrown in jail and sterilized.
ap7: popcorn::
ap8 (now on second page): buy some large soled shoes (person didn't read anything on page one.
OP: you don't know me, where do you get off telling me how to parent

And I think you get the picture from here.

Basically, all the points have already been made in the first page, and then it just becomes a complete free for all. People get called DISney Cops, others lament how the people on the DIS have become so much less friendly. Someone will question why people feel their children are entitled to violate the rules.

Really, the above scenarios can be substituted for several different questions (ie line holding/fp fetching/potty breaks/heelys/re-fillable mugs).

It's what makes the DIS keep going.

Enjoy.

you forgot: taking your young child on Splash Mtn in January is borderline child abuse and/or you will look like a dummy on Splash in Jan with/without your ponchos. ;)

I understand both sides of this debate and am taking neither side in this post.

I know that the height limits are for safety reasons but 40" is not always the same, of course there must be wiggle room in the height requirements that are determined by the engineers because not everyone is built the same. I am 6'0 and have a 30" inseam someone else may be 6' and have a 28" or 32" inseam. I am sure that nobody on this board wants to endanger their child and any decision they make has to be their decision. WDW however is a business and as such has to protect itself from lawsuits because in todays world if someone fudges the height to get their child on a ride and the CM lets the child ride and God forbid that child is injured you can bet that those parents will be in a lawyers office post haste.

Didn't expect the 'GOOFstapo' to be so severe in the criticism. You'd think I was asking about how to sneak in to the MK by swimming across the lake and jumping over the back fence. Nevermind people. But I do appreciate the comments from the majority.

Didn't expect the 'GOOFstapo' to be so severe in the criticism. You'd think I was asking about how to sneak in to the MK by swimming across the lake and jumping over the back fence. Nevermind people. But I do appreciate the comments from the majority.

And there's just another example of mattdragon's summary post! (excellent job by the way mattsdragon - hilarious and accurate!).

OP - don't cheat - the rules are for your child's safety. If you don't want a "don't cheat" answer, then don't ask the question. And if you think the answers in this thread are severe, you haven't seen anything at all. This is one of the nicest threads on this topic I have ever seen on the DIS. But it's still early.:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Actually, you got barely ANY criticism, particularly compared to what the height restriction question normally generates. Try a search for "height restrictions" and read what has been said.

You got many suggestions, some warnings, a few criticisms, some real-world advice. And none of it what I'd call "severe", but YMMV.

As for asking about height requirements vs. say, sneaking into MK ... you asked, basically, how to get around a Disney policy. How to fudge the system. To some, putting one over on Disney is putting one over on Disney, whether you're trying to sneak your kid in for free or whether you're trying to sneak your kid on a ride. But again, YMMV.

:earsboy:

I am not asking for a way to cheat. Examples of cheating that I have read in the past are buying ARD's from other people, slipping the host a $20 bill so you are seated as a walk-in; I could go on and on.

Simply asking if there was a shoe that gives an extra 1" boost in height, IMO, is not cheating. If I had her walk around on circus stilts the whole trip.... maybe.

But I find the "DIEHARDS' hilarious on this site. When the say they are the EXPERTS or VETERANS.... they really beleive themselves to be so. You'd think they were realted to Walt or Roy the way they throw around their expertise.

Sure glad we have such EXPERTS on here that we can rely on when a serious inquiry needs a resolution.

I am not asking for a way to cheat. Examples of cheating that I have read in the past are buying ARD's from other people, slipping the host a $20 bill so you are seated as a walk-in; I could go on and on.

Simply asking if there was a shoe that gives an extra 1" boost in height, IMO, is not cheating. If I had her walk around on circus stilts the whole trip.... maybe.

But I find the "DIEHARDS' hilarious on this site. When the say they are the EXPERTS or VETERANS.... they really beleive themselves to be so. You'd think they were realted to Walt or Roy the way they throw around their expertise.

Sure glad we have such EXPERTS on here that we can rely on when a serious inquiry needs a resolution.

Sorry you feel that other people being concerned about the safety of your child (and others on the rides) more than you do makes you feel bad.

One CM even looked at her feet, chuckled and winked at me.

I will warn you, however, that this is a topic that generates a lot of strong opinions and flaming on these boards. Good luck!

Luck of the CM draw; another wouldn't have wanted to possibly risk their job for your kid getting on the ride.

Yes, strong opinions from me. My son was 40", went on other things that were 40" (not that day), and a second measuring CM (after he righteously made it outside) at Star Tours at Disneyland pulled him aside, pushed down on his shoulder (making him scrunch down), and put a slip of paper between the measuring stick and his head. He wasn't allowed to ride. (meanwhile a tiny girl wearing cowboy boots slipped past with her parents)

So yes, someone actually doing this makes me annoyed. When my own cousin tried to get her 37" 5 year old (yes, 37", 5) onto Soarin' during our recent trip to WDW it changed my view of her and her husband entirely.

A couple of things to consider, from the other side:

1. If you are going to attempt to make your child "grow" in order to meet height restrictions, you will also want to prepare them for the inevitable moment when they are told that no, they are not tall enough. Because it will happen. And when it does, no amount of pouting, yelling, crying, or "but I rode this ten times yesterday!!" protestations will get the kid on the ride. (See #2)

Yes yes a thousand times yes!

The GOOD that came from my son not riding Star Tours was immense. First, he learned to stand up for himself by standing tall and letting himself get scrunched down. Second, he realized that sometimes you can do things correctly but still not get to do whatever it was. And third, he found out that height measurements at disney mean something! He's over 48" now, but he made sure to measure for everything. He wanted to make sure. He never takes that for granted.

So yes PLEASE help your daughter prepare for when she cannot go on a ride.

OP: This sounds like an excellent reason to book a second trip!

I completely agree. :)

After a lot of talk (after my small cousin was denied Soarin', and after her dad went on Soarin' the first time), I think that the height restriction is partially just so that tiny kids don't get stuck up in the air while they flip out b/c they are too young to understand.

Didn't expect the 'GOOFstapo' to be so severe in the criticism.

Seriously????

Just remember that many of those EXPERTS and VETERANS are also the people who told you about things like EMH strategies, sharing strollers, Fairy Godmother cards, using Photopass, how to schedule your days, and all of those other little helpful hints and budget savers that you've gleaned from the DIS. If you're going to take their advice and helpful hints to make your trip go more smoothly, I don't think it's fair to criticize them for weighing in on other things too.

:earsboy:

Sorry you feel that other people being concerned about the safety of your child (and others on the rides) more than you do makes you feel bad.

You can disagree with the OP about trying to get around the height restrictions, but to essentially call her a bad parent is taking things a bit far.

Oh brother, not this again. I am surprised its only 3 pages. I suspect by tonight it will be longer.
That said, one inch is kind of a lot. I can see 1/2", maybe. I can't think of any shoes that will boost one that much. Plus, even if it does work, it will probably only work in the morning. My dd is small, at 7 1/2 she is 46". We went when she was 5 and she was right at 40" if she stood with good posture. She was measured on every ride, sometimes more than once. All was fine until we went to Mission Space around 5 pm. She was a hair too short and they did not let her ride. She knew that was a possibility (we talked about it) and was ok with it. They did smoosh her head down but she was still a hair too short (paper fit between her head and the bar). I was fine with it. The next 2 times she was way over 40" but was still measure a few places.
The point is, if you "get away with it" once, don't expect it to always be that way and just prepare your child for that. There is still sooo much to do. Make sure to visit Toon Town as it will be gone come February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter