Would it be weird to start using Facebook now?

deedeetoo

DIS Veteran
The other thread on Facebook got me thinking. I have never used Facebook and I periodically think that maybe I should to find old friends or keep in touch with relatives, but the privacy thing has always scared me away.

Full disclosure - I have a Facebook account that I opened a few years ago but never really used. Actually, I use it now for one purpose - to sync Candy Crush across my devices. I have never filled in any of the data and have all the security settings set so that no one else can see anything. I have had a couple friend requests that I have just ignored - I have no idea how anyone found me.

So I am thinking about going in now, filling in some basics, easing the security settings a bit, and starting by inviting some relatives. But how weird would it be when they look at my account and find that I have no friends (if they are first) or only a couple if they are a little later. What would they think? Would they realize I was just starting and not a complete social reject? Would it be weird if I didn't post anything? I'm just so unfamiliar with this.

I think you're overthinking this, personally.

I doubt anyone's going to see a friend request from you and think, "Hmmm, that's odd, why wasn't she on Facebook before?" or "Why doesn't she have more friends?". Truthfully, I don't think they'd think anything.

I think you're overthinking this, personally. I doubt anyone's going to see a friend request from you and think, "Hmmm, that's odd, why wasn't she on Facebook before?" or "Why doesn't she have more friends?". Truthfully, I don't think they'd think anything.

Totally overthinking, but I will say since you're new to FB, "easing up" on your security settings is neither necessary nor advised if you want to get friends. If you know who you want to find, you can do so without easing your settings. Also FB can look up your email contacts and find friends that way. I have my security on the highest settings - you can't search for me by name and you have to be a friend to see my page.

Yeah, you're overthinking it. :)

I've never looked to see how many friends anyone has on FB. I couldn't even tell you how many *I* have. I can't imagine caring, and if anyone's shallow enough to judge me based on my friend count, well, I'd think they were pretty immature. Or needed to find a hobby. :rotfl:

I haven't posted anything on FB for years. I would say, probably 95% of my FB friends post something every couple of months. Some only post a couple times a year. I know of at least one friend who's never posted a thing, and doesn't intend to. There are no 'rules' on how often you post.

I think many people post a lot when they first get an account, and then quickly get bored with it and keep the account open with little or no activity.

LOL!

Don't perceived FB as the cool clique in high school. EVERYONE is new there once! I just joined 2 years ago because of my family reunion and I know darned well my 70 something year old cousins had never been on there before but all of a sudden were! It's just nice to connect again! I even found a cousin I didn't know existed which was a special treat. She was a child my uncle had and never told us! She had our last name and she looked just like us.

I questioned her and she told me the connection. No surprise, my uncle was a mess! He's also been dead for over 40 years. All she wanted to know is everything about him. She sounded like a little girl asking for her daddy. :p

There are some blessings in FB, not just drama.:thumbsup2

Jump in, feet first, and SWIM. You might be happy you did! :cheer2:

Ditto the others - you're overthinking. If you want to join, you have to start somewhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter