Would it be horribly disappointing...

KATIESMOMMY

DIS Veteran
to go from staying onsite to offsite, possibly a pool home?
Here is my dilemna, we decided to cancel our Dec WDW visit this year to get ahead on the bills and money back in savings (long story short, youngest DD NICU stay cleaned out our savings plus some) and i really didn't want to go where we were having to cut it short on money.

So DH told me if I wanted, we could go for 10 days next December and stay Deluxe:banana: :banana:

Well I priced it all out today and had a serious case of shellshock:scared1: And am now considering maybe a villa/pool home and we could stay two weeks for the price of 10 days deluxe and still save loads of money.We can either go Dec 6-20 or 13-27th (and spend Chrismtas in Florida!!) So my question, is it really that hard to commute back and forth to the parks and is it anywhere as nice as staying on property? It is me, DH and DD's who will be 4 and 2.5 next Dec.

Also is it too early to start looking for a villa?

I would totally do it. We almost always stay offsite and rent a car. Lots of freedom to go anytime and anywhere. We like to check out the surrounding area and even check out the local mall. I would love to stay in a pool house sometime. Our next trip we will be staying at the Residence Inn, but it was free so we aren't complaining because it means 2 weeks at disney (1 week is the cruise :cool1: ) I also think onsite hotels are way overpriced. Although I love staying onsite, we need to think of the budget.

It is not too early to start looking -in fact some of the homes will be booked now for dec 2008 and beyond.
As far as the traveling goes it really isn't that bad and if it means you will gwet longer in Florida then surely it has to be worth it.Most of the communities are withing 20 mins drive and I have waited longer than that on property for a bus to go from A-B.Make a list of what you want and make a start it will be one less thing on your to do list.

The last few years we have stayed in a villa, there are many plus points - cooking facilities, extra room, privacy, private pool.
As we usually stay in Kissimmee restaurants, supermarkets, Disney and the I4 are all within easy reach.

From next year onwards we have decided on split-stays, 3 week holidays with a few days in a timeshare type resort, few days at a DVC resort and then the rest in a villa - this way get the best of everything.

The only downside we have with a villa is sometimes you can feel a bit isolated, and often in the evening our son is tired and doesn't want to go out - he is often happier just playing in the pool.
Hence some facilities on-site as it were for part of the holiday are now a must for us.

If you can get a longer vacation at Disney and it helps the budget I would definately go for somewhere off-site :thumbsup2 We have done both and now prefer off-site due to the extra room you get - especially with 2 kids.

The commute as Jan says can be less than 20 mins and it gives you more freedom to try off-site restaurants which will also help the budget :) Maybe even a day at a non-disney park like Seaworld too - which I am sure your DD's will love :goodvibes

If you are concerned about feeling isolated in a private rental just opt for one with nice community facilities so that the kids can perhaps play with others at a tot-lot or kids pool.

Good luck with your decision :thumbsup2 By the way we went from 9th-27th Dec last year and it is a great time with all the Christmas celebrations!

Tracey

Ty all. Actually have been up with a sick baby tonight so have been scoping some of the villas already and have gotten a lot of replies where they are already booked for Christmas 2008! SO gonna have to sit and think about exactly I want to do and get moving evidently!

So my question, is it really that hard to commute back and forth to the parks and is it anywhere as nice as staying on property?

It is really easy to commute to/from the parks from the Formosa Gardens area - Windsor Palms, Windsor Hills & Emerald Island are there and have resort facilities. We have actually done Germany at Epcot World Showcase to Windsor Hills in 20 minutes!

If you are going the beginning of December, then you won't have any trouble driving from offsite to the parks. If you choose to stay over Christmas itself, you may have more difficulties, especially as the parks reach capacity. It can get so bad that offsite guests aren't allowed in. If you decide to go this route, I would book the earlier trip to save yourself the aggravation. Plus, the parks will be less crowded earlier in the month, but still have all the holiday spirit.

Whatever your decision, it seems that December 2008 is going to be a busy one, so book as quickly as you can.

If you have little ones, you might really enjoy staying off site. We have found that many homes offer free baby stuff for your use. I have seen homes that have high chairs, pack n' plays, safety gates, and strollers for their guests use. It is so nice not to have to pack up and lug that stuff with you on vacation. Good luck!

I have yet to stay onsite...but will share that my MIL lives 20min away from WDW and has TWO bedrooms available for us to use, and we are staying at POR for 8 nights!

That pretty much tells you what I vote for! :santa:

It isn't hard to commute, just remember to budget $10 parking fee per day, not per park if you are a "hopping" family. I recommend starting the week of the 6th, because the week that encompasses Christmas is so crazy that you won't get to see much.

It is a different feeling to stay offsite if you aren't used to it, our last trip was free using points from a generous step-mom and we were at Embassy Grand Beach resort. Couldn't beat the money savings, but we missed staying at our DVC Boardwalk. That's what the next trip is for :cool1:

To Minniemouse07: You are lucky, even if my MIL lived 20 minutes from WDW, I would still pay to rent a room elsewhere!

I think it might be nice to try a vacation rental. It is not for every one and if it is not your cup of tea you never have to choose renting again.

Also I would choose the earlier time of Dec. rates are cheaper, accomidations are plentyful and the parks will be less crowded.

I have stayed at the CR, WL and Old Key West. Our last two trips we stayed at the Vistana Villages and Vistana Resort. I will never cram my family of 4 in a hotel room again. There is a slightly different feel. It was more relaxing and I love all things Disney but I can't take it 24/7. My husband prefers staying offsite now and the villas are soooo nice. I like to cook a couple of meals and stay at the resort. Having two bathrooms was great. We always eat in the villa and it saves time and $$$. You will not be dissapointed if you try offsite.
Tara

You'll get the feel of Christmas in Florida even if you go the earlier time. YOu can do mickey's christmas party, and it will be a lot of fun, even though you'll be gone before Christmas itself. The main difference will be the crowds you'll encounter during christmas week!

Staying offsite for 2 weeks will be wonderfully relaxing. You'll love it. :)

We normally stay offsite, not only because of money saving you can make but also the amount of space. Have you considered an all-suite property? That way you could be close to Disney - say LBV area yet still have more space and save money.
We've never stayed in a villa, so I can't comment but we've always shyed away from it because of the isolation. However, staying in an all suite hotel gets you closer to restaurants/ shops etc, whilst retaining cooking facilities and living space (and most suite hotels provide free breakfasts/ shuttles to the parks).
That being said, you do miss out on EMH, shuttles can be unreliable and if you do use a car you pay parking.
Have you considered a split stay - perhaps 10 nights offsite and 4 at a deluxe? Or if you don't spend much time in the room, what about a moderate?
I'd definitely do Xmas in Florida though - it's magical whether you're offsite or onsite!
Good luck planning :thumbsup2

If you go for earlier December rather than the Christmas weeks, there will not be the Christmas crowds but the parks will still be in the Christmas spirit. With younger kids the lines will be shorter and you will get more done in the parks in a day, plus the cost of accommodation should be cheaper.

With a pool home you get the swimming pool outside your door and the kids will love that! Ours do. Get a place with a spa for those time when the kids are in bed and mom & dad can spend some quiet time in the spa together. Just make sure you go for pool & spa heating. Also ask if the owners provide a baby monitor.

well we decided to go ahead with a villa, Dec 13-27,2008. We are thinking maybe the first week crowds wont be too bad and we will get Disney in then and the last week we can go to other places and also relax! Ty for all your input all!

I would go earlier in December. Several folks I know spent Christmas in Florida at WDW and were disappointed. They'd rather have had their Christmast celebration at home. They all said that the parks were so busy that they didn't enjoy themselves as much. If it were me, I'd also stay offsite. You'll have lots of room, and with little ones, you and DH can tuck them into bed and go to another room to watch TV or out to your private pool! :) After spending a vacation in a condo with tons of room, I don't want to stay in a hotel again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter