Would I be mad to book a trip at such short notice? Advice please

It'sASmallWorld

Earning My Ears
Hi,

Our family has had an incredibly difficult few months. Our third dd was born in September a month early, and sadly, she was born severly disabled both mentally and physically. Her condition is described as life limiting :sad1: We are all devestated, but my older girls aged 4 and 6 have been fantastic and understanding that dd3 has had to come first and Mummy has to rush to the hospital at short notice or stay away for a long time. I'm so pround of them. :lovestruc

Anyway, I usually take the girls to DLRP once a year and they have begun to ask when we are next going. I am usually restricted to school holidays as I am a teacher, but being on maternity leave this year I can look at other times.

I saw the offers, and had a little look and I can get a fantastic deal leaving the day after my 30th birthday- leaving in 12 days... It would just be the older girls and I, dh would stay behind with dd3. But would I be mad? I'd have to get permission from the head teacher, dh would have to book holiday, I'd need to book and pay for the ferry and Disney, book travel insurance. All possible, but would need to be done quickly. I've never driven in France without another adult in the car- would it be hell?

On the other hand, I could do with the break, dd3 is stable at the moment, the price is unbelievable and the girls deserve the treat.

What would you do? To Disney or not to Disney?:confused3

I'm so sorry about your third born. How heartbreaking :sad1:

I'd would say if your familiar with DLP and the booking process of insurance etc and the school won't give you grief for the short notice, then go for it. It would be a rush but certainly do-able and what a wonderful treat for your daughters. You certainly deserve a bit of Disney magic :wizard:

Sorry, I can't help with driving info but i'm sure some of the wonderful people on the board here will help.

So sorry to hear your sad news.

It sounds like you and your older DDs deserve the break, and organising the trip in that short time is certainly possible.

If you are worried about driving alone could you look into taking the Eurostar for this trip?

I'm so sorry to hear about DD3 :sad1: It is a very difficult time, and I would think a trip would do you and the girls a world of good, although it would be tinged with sadness for you.

The practicalities are easily do-able. All can be done on-line - the tunnel is particularly easy in terms of flexibility with times etc. if you would consider that. I'm just thinking that on your own, it may be a little easier than the ferry, but if you're more used to the ferry then that may make a difference.

If your dd's are typically well behaved in the car, you shouldn;t have a problem with the driving, although you may have to get out of the car on some tolls to walk around to pay (further north they usually have British versions) I think you can buy a TAG thingy on-line which means you can drive straight through. Do you have a sat-nav, which would realy ease things?

You could do all the booking in half an hour, so don't let the thought of that stop you.

I think I'd go if I were in your place, and certainly don't think you're mad, but understand it's a lot to think about on top of everything else.

Thank you. I knew here would be the best place to ask, I'm sure 'normal non-Disney obsessed' people would think it was impossible and mad!

I think the Eurostar would be out of my price range, but I'll have a look.

I guess it's just booking and printing out the documents, hardly anything difficult is it? I think I'm just rubbish at making big decisions.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. As the father of a disabled child myself (though not as severely disabled as yours), I can understand a little bit (no-one understands fully except you) what you must be going through.

I would say go for it, you and your girls sound like you definitely need it. You should be able to get it all booked in time.

I assume you have ruled out the train option, to avoid driving in France?

We've never been to DLP but have driven in France before. I believe driving from the ferry ports would be all or mostly on the autoroutes? If that's the case it should be reasonably OK, albeit you would need to be careful changing lanes, joining the motorway etc, without a front seat passenger to help you look.

Also you will know how well or otherwise your daughters would behave on a long car journey! Would they cope without someone to pass them drinks/food, change the CD or any of the other stuff you can't do by yourself when driving? Or do you have anyone else who could come with you to help out (and can you afford to pay for another person?).

How does your kids school view term time absences? You would hope given your circumstances that the head would agree to this, and would do so quickly. If they didn't agree and your children had unauthorised absences, what would the school do? I'd be inclined if the school didn't authorise the absences to go anyway - I assume it's not the same school you work at?!

Overall I would say if at all possible you should go, if you do go good luck and enjoy it!

Disney trip with out the wait I would already be packing!

So sorry to hear about your DD3

Pixie dust to all your family xxx

sorry to hear about your dd3. Wish you, your dd3 and all your family all the best.

I do think if it's possible, you should do it. It does sound like you deserve it. Just like you other DDs.

Just doing a v quick search, you could be loooking at only £200 - £220 for eurostar tickets for the three of you which would really be cheaper than the ferry plus fuel + tolls.

It would be very relaxing for you.

Best of luck whichever route you choose.

Given all you've been through, if you're considering this at all then you really need it. To focus on something fun would do you the world of good and give your older girls some quality time with you.

It might even be better that it's last minute, because then you don't have too much time to second guess yourself and end up thinking yourself out of it.

I agree with the posters who recommend Eurostar - if you're worrying about driving you're not going to be able to destress at all.

Hugs to your husband for supporting you with this too.

I would say definitely go for it, it will do you all the world of good and give you strength to face whatever the future may hold for you.
We went after a period of sadness in our lives and I can honestly say although it was quite a hard decision to go it was the best thing for us at that time.

If it was myself going on my own I would definitely take the Eurostar especially as the costs look like they'll be similar, a lot less stressful for you and you'll be nice and relaxed to take in the full magic once you arrive.

I wish you and your family all the best and hope you do manage this magical trip. :love:

So sorry to read about DD3 :hug:

Yes, you should go to DLP, it'll do you and DDs1 and 2 the world of good. I agree with the others though that if you're worrying about driving by yourself then go by Eurostar.

I hope you get sorted for the trip. Not sure I would drive over there with my two on my own but if you can do then do go for it.

Sorry to hear about your DD3, it must be incredibly difficult for your whole family :hug:. But your other DDs deserve a bit of a change and so do you by the sounds of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter