• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would bug spray be needed for a mid June Alaskan cruise?

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I know that the mosquito is the Alaskan state bird, but are they a nuisance in mid June?

I am going on the next Alaskan cruise leaving on Monday and am bringing bug spray. I worked at a kids camp for the last two years in the summer in mid june a little bit away from Anchorage and the mosquitos were absolutely terrible. That was more inland though and I don't know for sure about the coast but I'm bringing it as I am anticipating them to be bad.

I never had any problems with mosquitos when I was in SE Alaska. It never gets that hot in the Summer and the humidity is relatively low. The interior part of the state is a completely different story though.

We were bothered by the pesky critters on a couple of different shore walks during an early July trip. Bring the bug spray (we actually find the packets of wipes more travel friendly).
FWIW, it was very warm the entire week of our trip. We did not pack appropriately and ended up buying a couple of short-sleeved Ts.

We cruised 6/17-6/24/2013 and I had read ahead of time they seemed to be worse on the train going to/from White Rail Pass and this was definitely true! Skagway was where we really noticed them. We made a few stops along the way to the train and they were there and also in the train and we kept swatting them and they were big too! :rotfl2: We also just brought some of the wipes with us and because we did have long sleeves on we were fine. While the ship was in port and therefore still they were also on the verandah so keep that in mind too. We also had unseasonably warm weather last summer for Alaska.

I wouldn't worry too much about them but I'd definitely bring something with you :)

Have a great time,
Heather

Avon skin so soft works really well as a bug repellant, doesn't smell bad and the extra can be used in il your bath :-)

I never noticed any in the ports, but we did an interior pre-cruise tour and they were very thick while we when 4-wheeling near Denali. Like swarms. We are packing a small bottle, just in case for our cruise which leaves Monday.

Any recommendations for a good, kid friendly brand of repellant?

As recommended above, Avon Skin So Soft. It's gentle and works fine.

BTW, in 5 Alaskan cruises, including a land trip all the way to Fairbanks, we've never had problems with the mossies, even without repellant. Maybe we just don't taste good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter