Would Anyone like to Share.....

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by lionqueen, Mar 5, 2013.

  1. lionqueen

    lionqueen Mouseketeer

    Mar 27, 2001
    ....their tricks for finding a good deal on a resale? We are looking to add on at SSR, somewhere around 150-200 points. We have bought two resales at OKW in the past but, our family is expanding hence the "need" for more points! I've been looking for a few weeks but it seems like all the contracts are stripped. I've seen some nice contracts that some of you have gotten recently and wondered if there is anything special I should be doing? A time of day or specific day to be looking for the newly listed contracts? Is a certain time of year better to be looking? Our last resale we bought in August and there seemed to be a bunch to make offers on. Right now there are not many loaded contracts. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. TIA
  2. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

    to hide this adverts.
  3. pmaurer74

    pmaurer74 DIS Veteran

    Apr 29, 2010
    I wonder the same thing. Some of the contracts I have seen on here I have not come across and I get the emails from a few brokers.
  4. disbound09

    disbound09 Mouseketeer DVC Gold

    May 23, 2009
    I'd looked over the normal big three and went with another broker TBS. I found them by searching for DVC timeshares for sale. I found a contract with UY we wanted and offered 50 on what they had listed at 68 settled at 53. TBS should stand for TOTAL BS as it has been a gong show ever since. So I would say if you have time to wait offer low and wait for a contract that works for you thru the major three. It's been three months so far and I see another month in the future. So be really really patient if you go with the second tier brokers. Its a numbers game both in offer and ability to wait things out.
  5. Sandisw

    Sandisw Moderator Moderator

    Nov 15, 2008
    I just kept my eye out daily once I decided I was ready to buy. I knew what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. When I found something that had the UY I needed at the resort I wanted, I made an offer. When buying BWV, it took until the 4th contract to get a yes. For my newest one that I am in the process of closing on, it was the 2nd contract.

    I have found that TSS seems to have updated contracts more often so I typically started there.

    Good luck!
  6. dbs1228

    dbs1228 DIS Veteran

    Feb 24, 2010
    I too kept my eye out wanted BWV and when I saw a contract for 55.00 PP feb UY all points this year forward I jumped on it asking price is great! It was sent to Disney today for ROFR hope we pass!
  7. fortheloveofminnie

    fortheloveofminnie Earning My Ears

    Feb 2, 2013
    When we were ready to buy I checked the major sites daily, sometimes more than once. I had a price point in mind -- I was in no rush and figured I could wait for a good deal. When I saw something I liked I offered what I was willing to pay, regardless of asking price. I eventually agreed with the sellers to a price $14 less per point than asking. I also had several offers rejected -- I expected it and was OK with it. So my secret was to be patient and expect rejection if you want a really good deal. I used Fidelity and they had no problem submitting my offers to sellers even if far below asking price.
  8. zavandor

    zavandor DIS Veteran

    Jul 22, 2011
    A time machine bould be useful. Unfortunately in the last months, resale prices have increased a bit. Good for sellers, bad for buyers.

    If you look at the ROFR thread, you'll find many good deals, but those can be one year old. Also people getting good deals are more likely willing to post on that thread, while people getting an average deal or even overpaying a little for the right UY or contract size are less likely to post.

    Also the more time you want to invest, the easier to get a good deal. If you are anxious to get a contract to book a stay as soon as possible, you must be ready to pay a little more.
    If you are willing to wait months for the right contract you can find better deals. Write to the major brokers and ask to be added on their mailing lists.
  9. Fan of Figment

    Fan of Figment Couldn't imagine life without WDW!

    Aug 9, 2012
    We are in the process of closing on our first contract (SSR). We knew the amount of points we wanted and when we saw one come up, we just offered what they were asking. We did pay on the high end, but being a DVC newbie and it being just what we wanted, we didn't feel like going back and forth on price and risk losing it. If we ever add on we will definitely take our time and offer below asking price.

    But anyway, I don't know that there's any rhyme or reason to it. I think it really just comes down to watching the resale sites closely and when you finally see one you want, jump on it! Like others said, if you don't want to risk losing it, you may want to be willing to pay a higher price.

    We really lucked out on ours because after we signed the contract, the seller decided to cancel the vacation they had planned and then we got those points as a bonus. So it went from a somewhat stripped contract, to a pretty loaded one. Did they cancel because they got their asking price or would they still have cancelled anyway, we'll never know. In any event, we feel very fortunate.

    Good luck to you!
  10. WMorganS

    WMorganS Flapping My Ears

    Feb 4, 2013
    There is one tip I heard directly from a broker. I'm not sure I should post it openly, and I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it's supposed to work really well, so here it is: be patient.

    Seriously though, a broker told me that the start if the year is always busy because dues hit in January, and after that may slow a bit because people that were considering selling have just sold. But there are *always* contracts coming up regardless of the time of year. There may be times when there are more resales available, but the only real "secret" is patience.

    But the other thing I'd suggest, which completely disagrees with the above, is don't get TOO hung up on getting the very best price per point. Spending an extra dollar per point can save you a lot of ROFR headache, and even save you money if waiting for a better deal would mean you pay cash for a vacation while waiting.
  11. erin1715

    erin1715 DIS Veteran

    Apr 1, 2006
    Just a quick question, but when you all are making offers, do you call every single time you make an offer or can you email the offer? I'm at work during the day and it would be much easier to just email my offer than making calls all day long. I know on the TSS they say to call as soon as you see something you want to make an offer on, but honestly we are not in a rush and willing to be patient to buy into DVC.
  12. bobbiwoz

    bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

    Aug 26, 2003
    I e-mailed an offer yesterday, and haven't heard back except that the e-mail was acknowledged. Usually we have called. I must say that when we have called, we have always heard back something within 24 hours, sometimes within 4-6 hours. I guess these sellers aren't motivated!

    PS...Just saying within 5 minutes of posting this I heard from the realtor!
  13. automaticsoap

    automaticsoap Mouseketeer

    Oct 22, 2012
    I think you get a faster response if you call -- your inquiry is immediately answered rather than sitting in an inbox. After the seller accepts your offer, you can move all your communication to email.

Share This Page