• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would any villa be nicer than a value room?

SRF

Earning My Ears
I'm assuming yes, and looking at renting some DVC points, but wanted to ask outright to make sure. Thanks.

I have never stayed in a value, but all the villas I have stayed are good. Boardwalk and beach club studios are just ok, but the !!!location!!! Is amazing.

I really like the layouts of the studios at OKW. Studios at AKL provide access to wonderful amenities. SSR studios are beautiful.

Just remember you won't get housekeeping if you are renting.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! We are trying to do disney on the cheap, and it looks like we could rent DVC points for a value studio villa for about the same cost as a value hotel (motel).

Any experience with animal kingdom? Will have a 8, 4, and 2 year old.

I rented DVC points for a 5 night stay at Kidani (studio). It cost a total of $100 more, and for an extra $20 a night, it was WELL worth it.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! We are trying to do disney on the cheap, and it looks like we could rent DVC points for a value studio villa for about the same cost as a value hotel (motel).

I loved Kidani. The pool area is great for kids! They will also love to watch the animals. We spent one afternoon at the Kidani pool, and one at the Jambo pool. We had a great evening watching Hercules lounging by the pool. For the price you can't beat it!

I liked having the kitchenette and the bathroom was huge. Greak for kids.

SRF said:

Just so you know, the AK value studios are difficult to get. Make sure you get in right on the 11 month mark.

One thing to keep in mind, except for OKW, studios are 1 queen bed and 1 double sofa bed. OKW has 2 queen beds. Studios have a kitchenette including a microwave, toaster, small fridge, coffeemaker. If you rent points, you will get limited housekeeping with the option to purchase additional services.

Wow, all very helpful thanks friends. So exciting!

Somewhat related: have you ever seen a place to trade airline miles for DVC points?

The is past summer I stayed at AKV Kidani.

Here is my thread from the trip -
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

I loved the animals and the pool. The only downside was the lack of QS (which I explain in the thread.)

AKLV are really something great to try.

Would I stay there again - Yes - but prob not soon because there are other place I would like to try. :)

As for Jambo House (other AKLV DVC) the pool want as good, the animal viewings were not as good but they has great QS place.

Have fun deciding where to stay and I hope you and your family have a great trip to the world. :goodvibes

-FantasiaMagic pixiedust:

Awesome, thanks!

Does the 11 month window go into 2014 next month or not until new prices have been released?

I'm assuming yes, and looking at renting some DVC points, but wanted to ask outright to make sure. Thanks.

I am zoned in on landing some DVC points myself. We also are looking at DVC AKL value villa vs. Value Resort vs. Coronado Springs. Seeing it's too late to book a value, we will be willing to go for a standard for a small upcharge from value. Curious where you're finding points to rent...have you found someone you would recommend? Thanks!:surfweb:

Somewhat related: have you ever seen a place to trade airline miles for DVC points?

DVC points aren't like loyalty program points (airline miles, etc). In order to own DVC points and use them to make a reservation, you must be an owner in the Disney Vacation Club, Disney's timeshare program.

When we talk about 'renting points' around here, what's really happening is that you arrange with a DVC owner to make a reservation for you using their points. You don't actually get the points, or do anything with them. In a sense, it's kind of like renting someone's beach house at the shore. They own it, they're allowing you to use it, you pay them.

No, you can't trade for points. Points can only be used by a DVC member from their account to make a reservation. Points represent the member's share of ownership in the resort. You would not actually "rent points", you are renting a reservation made by a DVC member with their points. A non-member cannot do anything with DVC points themselves, you have to work through a member or a broker representing a member.

Awesome, thanks!

Does the 11 month window go into 2014 next month or not until new prices have been released?

DVC points charts for 2014 have been released to members.

just to clarify, the value studios' and 1BRs' max occupancy is 4 - so (assuming 2 adults and 3 children) if the littlest is 3 by the time of the reservation, you'd need a standard 1BR or larger to fit everyone...

Also know that the value studios are very limited and go at 11 months very quickly. With 3 young children I would definitely get travel insurance. Most all DVC rentals will have no cancellation and paid in full prior to arrival.

That's a great point. Any places you would recommend for travel insurance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter