• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worth the Wait?

toodles

Earning My Ears
I am wondering what shows anyone might recommend while at DL? Oddly enough, in all my other visits, I have never watched any of the shows! Except the Horseshoe Revue, Bear Country Jamborree -- the housed attractions. I was always put off by large crowds waiting on the lawns hours before showtime. At WDW, we watched Illuminations from a boat, so we didn't need to compete with the crowd. What shows are worth the wait?

I have seen the electric light parade, or whatever it is called, with all the lit up floats. That was spectacular! Our last trip was Christmas '99, so we saw a lot of Christmas shows/parades and went to Mickey's Christmas party at WDW and we enjoyed that.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Toodles
WDW 79, 83, 99
DL 91, 92, 93, 95

The two I'd suggest are Fantasmic (which can have quite a wait if you want a good spot and is much better than the WDW version IMHO) and if they bring it back, the "Believe, there's Magic in the Stars" fireworks show -- best viewed from Main Street between Coke Corner and the camera shop.

-Rajah
tigerbow.gif

mickeymoonsm.jpg

cdrtrisal@aol.com

Rajah and VonDrake's Honeymoon

Rajah's Disneyland Crossword Puzzle

Rajah, thanks for the helpful input. I've heard some implied statements about Fantasmic at DL. The one at WDW gets mixed reviews so it is good to hear someone say the DL show is better. The night we scheduled to go at WDW we decided not to, since we had been to so many Christmas shows and were feeling a bit overdone.

It sounds like we should make a concerted effort to go to it at DL. Any suggestions on arrival time and best seating locations?

:) :)

Toodles
WDW 79, 83, 99
DL 91, 92, 93, 95

Most people I talk to on the DIS and in person agree that the Disneyland version of Fantasmic is better than the WDW version.

The only problem is, there aren't really any seats. The only *true* seats are the hard-to-obtain Dessert Buffet tickets. Do a search on this board for in-depth info on that :D As I usually get the buffet or stand on the bridge over Pirates, I'm not the best one to give tips on where else to watch. There have been many questions about that, though, and I know several people on this board have a lot of good suggestions :D

Another show that I forgot about is Animazement. I've heard a lot of poor reports on it, but I really enjoyed it and would wait up to 20 minutes for the show. However, mid-May DH and I walked up about 5 minutes prior and got good seats so you may be fine at 15 minutes prior. It's a stage show of the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Beauty and the Beast type at MGM.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :D

-Rajah
tigerbow.gif

mickeymoonsm.jpg

cdrtrisal@aol.com

but you mentioned MGM. Is there an MGM in CA now? I wasn't aware of that! I guess this is what happens when you go away for a few years! LOL :D

Toodles
WDW 79, 83, 99
DL 91, 92, 93, 95

No :D I meant that Animazement was a stage show like Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback are in WDW, rather than a show like Festival of the Lion King or Tarzan Rocks :D That's what I meant when I mentioned MGM :D

DL has, however, added California Adventure (DCA) and a Downtown Disney -- I believe DD has recently opened, and DCA (located in what used to be a parking lot or two...there's now a parking garage to handle the traffic) *does* have an area similar to MGM. For more info on DCA, I highly recommend our sister site, www.laughingplace.com

-Rajah
tigerbow.gif

mickeymoonsm.jpg

cdrtrisal@aol.com

You're referring to the theater type, although I really loved that Lion King show -- thought it was terrific and what a great theater in terms of being able to see wherever you sit! Although in January, the open air theater isn't as appealing.

Yes, I've been to the LaughingPlace site and I saw a mention of Animazement too -- or was that at MouseInfo -- anyway, the "more info" links weren't working.

We have preview passes to DCA, so I'm excited about that and someone said they were going to do a thorough trip report on it, but I haven't seen that yet. I really would like the low down on the attractions!

Thanks for all your help!

Toodles
WDW 79, 83, 99
DL 91, 92, 93, 95

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter