Worth the upgrade?

levenhopper

DIS Veteran
So two of my friends and I are taking a seven night cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Wonder, departing 11/30. As of now, we're booked GTY in a category 11A. Due to some weird pricing things/using discounts available to me, we can upgrade to a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom (don't know which specific category) for $90.

Yes, I've double checked, and that would be the total upgrade price. Not per night or per person, but total.

I'm highly tempted to book it now. It almost seems like a no brainer. The only thing holding me back slim chance that they'd fill up all of the inside rooms with reserved bookings, which would give us a free upgrade.

Anyone care to chime in? Even if it's just reassuring me to book the upgrade now, it'd be greatly appreciated!

So two of my friends and I are taking a seven night cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Wonder, departing 11/30. As of now, we're booked GTY in a category 11A. Due to some weird pricing things/using discounts available to me, we can upgrade to a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom (don't know which specific category) for $90.

Yes, I've double checked, and that would be the total upgrade price. Not per night or per person, but total.

I'm highly tempted to book it now. It almost seems like a no brainer. The only thing holding me back slim chance that they'd fill up all of the inside rooms with reserved bookings, which would give us a free upgrade.

Anyone care to chime in? Even if it's just reassuring me to book the upgrade now, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Question: If the price of the Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom at the time you booked your 11A GTY was the price it is being offered for now (what you've already paid plus the $90.00) would you have taken the Oceanview?

Personally, I think that a $90.00 total price for an upgrade is probably worth it - it's only $30.00 each.

Question: If the price of the Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom at the time you booked your 11A GTY was the price it is being offered for now (what you've already paid plus the $90.00) would you have taken the Oceanview? Personally, I think that a $90.00 total price for an upgrade is probably worth it - it's only $30.00 each.

Most likely, we would have. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that we should just go ahead and book it.

If you are in an inside room, you *might* have a chance to be upgraded to an OV. Having a GTY reservation doesn't improve your odds of that happening over someone with a specific stateroom selected. The OVT gives you the opportunity to get put up to a cat 8A, which would cost you more than $90 total to upgrade to that specific category from a cat 11A. Personally, since you don't have a say in where your room is now anyway with the GTY, I would pay the $90 and be guaranteed an OV.

$90 to upgrade; hmmm :scratchin , I'd jump all over it. ::yes::

You also need to remember the upgrades will go to people that have cruised the most. The upgrade program has parameters and a couple of them are times cruised and booking date. the $90 is a sure thing and gets you in a bigger room.

You also need to remember the upgrades will go to people that have cruised the most. The upgrade program has parameters and a couple of them are times cruised and booking date. the $90 is a sure thing and gets you in a bigger room.

And upgrades are extremely rare!

How do you know this?

It's my understanding that anyone can be upgraded, regardless of number of times they've cruised; when/how we book our reservations; paid off early or on time; booking an GTY or a specific room. I've always read that there's no rhyme or reason to who gets the upgrades.

Sorry, but this simply is not true. We were upgraded our first cruise. Others have posted here that they have never been upgraded and have completed 30-50 cruises on DCL. If this was true, they would have surely been upgraded at least once. Upgrades depend on what categories have the most availability. If you are below that category, your chances are improved for that cruise because the higher category may be priced too high to sell, but if DCL shifts people in less expensive categories up to the empty rooms they can sell more rooms at a lower price [still higher than opening day]. This helps them fill more rooms and generate more onboard revenue. It also results in a happy guest who received the comp upgrade.

I would definitely take the upgrade for $90 for seven nights. Not only will you get natural light, but even the lowest cat oceanview will have a split bathroom (which most people seem to like) and more square footage.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

I just booked a 5night on the Wonder for Feb. I had an ocean view booked. Called DCL after I booked and CM gave me an upgrade to Ocean view deluxe with Veranda for $100. Considering this cruise is so cheap $2000 I jumped. We were on the dream in 2012 and our 5 night was double this price. I am so excited to be going soon. Jump all over this.

Pff.. Don't buy it... It's like PINs - nobody knows the magic answer, only the mouse.

Our first cruise, we booked under OGT on the Dream on a 5n double dip. We got a 5E. In fact 8184 - only of the two biggest verandah staterooms.

I just booked a 5night on the Wonder for Feb. I had an ocean view booked. Called DCL after I booked and CM gave me an upgrade to Ocean view deluxe with Veranda for $100. Considering this cruise is so cheap $2000 I jumped. We were on the dream in 2012 and our 5 night was double this price. I am so excited to be going soon. Jump all over this.

I think I just posted something regarding this on another thread. But basically, it depends on availability and category. Today there are 5C verandah rooms cheaper than a 9A ocean view rooms. Even a 5A will be only $40 TOTAL more for a party of 3 adults from a 9A.

Verandah rates are a little higher than oceanview, but again depending on the category.

If you didn't booked at opening day rates (look at cruisefish) then a switch to a higher category that still has opening day rates may result in a lower fare or at least in a very small increase.

We were upgraded from an 11C GTY on the 10/27 Magic to a 9C when rooms were assigned. Did not expect it but was happy for the upgrade.

This is our first Disney cruise.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'm going to wait until rooms are assigned, and see if we get lucky with an upgrade (not expecting one at all, but it can't hurt to wish for some pixie dust). If I don't get one, we'll probably upgrade then.

The only reason for us to upgrade would be for the split bathroom. It'd be nice, but we'd be able to survive without one (assuming we don't get a free upgrade, and the $90 upgrade isn't available anymore).

Not true. Only DCL know the hows and whys they upgrade and it is most likely based on their inventory requirements on any given cruise....not based on times you have cruised. I do agree that booking the upgrade now makes sense for such a low price.

MJ

lauti said:
We were upgraded from an 11C GTY on the 10/27 Magic to a 9C when rooms were assigned. Did not expect it but was happy for the upgrade.

This is our first Disney cruise.

This same thing just happened to us on the 11/10 magic...our first Disney cruise.

I got a killer upgrade on my first cruise and have never gotten one since. It's not too unusual to be upgraded in the lower categories especially during the slower seasons as they can sell lower categories easier than upper ones. Personally, I'd have been all over the $90 upgrade to oceanview. In and inside cabin chances are that a Pixie dust upgrade will put you into an oceanview. But if you are in an ocean view and get a Pixie dust upgrade your in verandah territory. Besides, I love those split bathrooms.

9 cruises and we've never been upgraded. We've even booked VGT rate and got a 7a..which is all we expected...but since it was our 8th cruise it would have been nice to get a 5c at least. My point, is upgrades do not go to people who have cruised the most. My sister is platinum(not sure what number she's at) and has never gotten an upgrade. Seems like everywhere I turn though, there's a first timer getting an upgrade. That seems more likely from a business stand point. Why would they upgrade me? I've cruised 9 times in the past 3 years. I'm sold, they obviously don't need to wow me with a complimentary upgrade.

OP, you could always book the inside and hope for a port upgrade. We've done this several times. There is a charge, but it's cheaper than it would be if you pre booked that room. You may find that at the port, you could pay $80-$100 to upgrade into a 4a which is split bath/veranda and sleeps 5 so it's more sq ft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter