Worst Trip Ever -- HATE the changes!

Zoie

Mouseketeer
LOTS of problems this trip. The lines were atrocious. We always go this time of year and have always walked right on rides no problem and used fastpass for the handful that do get long waits, and have always had a fabulous time.

Not this year!

First, after being assured by phone that our tickets were attached to our bands and activated and we were ready to go into the park, they didn't work, and we spent an hour in a Guests Relations line before we could even enter the park, losing that precious short window of time when lines are short. By the time we got in there, there were 40 minute plus waits for EVERYTHING. In late February?? Really???

About all we got to do in the parks was our fastpass stuff, and we didn't even get to do all of those because one ride was malfunctioning during our fp window and we weren't able to make it back to it, and they sent me an EMAIL that I got when we got home the next day because you know, everyone is at Disney World reading their EMAIL -- NOT! -- that our fastpass had been modified and we could now use it on any ride at any time the rest of that day since our ride was broken down during our time window. Gee, THAT would have been nice to know the day before.

Another HUGE problem we had is our companion in a scooter. We had been to the park many many times before and were not aware of the new changes. I have since read about the new cards you have to get and all that, but there was nobody telling her of the new policy when they saw her rolling in on her scooter, nobody at ANY of the rides told her about it, no signs, nothing. How are people supposed to know that something that has been done a certain way for decades has now changed?? We went to the exits as we had always done and were instructed to park the scooter, get in a wheelchair, and go through the regular standby lines. It was a nightmare, and by 2 pm our handicapped friend was in so much pain and so exhausted from the process that she was ready to go home, and never wants to go back to Disney again. It was that bad. After decades of loving Disney, one day made that big of a change. I don't think people who don't have handicaps realize how tiring and how slow maneuvering through Disney can be, and when one has a painful injury, and has to pedal oneself along in a wheelchair, especially in sloped areas where one has to use one's injured feet to keep the wheelchair from rolling backwards into waiting guests for long amounts of time, waiting in standby lines of 40 minute plus is just not do-able.

We spent two days in the Magic Kingdom and got to ride six or seven things. It was that bad. As a huge Disney fan who tries to go every single year, I currently also feel like I don't ever want to go back. It was a huge waste of money. I tried to make sure my children had fun regardless, but it's hard when all we do is wait in line. That's why I take them out of school to go in February. I understand it's like that in the summer. But it's never been like that in February before. I can only think the new fastpass structure is to blame.

Magicbands were also a problem, not just the not working part when we came in the park, but all three of my kids refused to wear them so I ended up wearing an armful, and three different times I had a band come unsnapped and fall off my arm without my knowing it. Fortunately each time one of my kids noticed it and grabbed it, but it HAS to happen to people where it falls off and it's LOST forever. What then??? And my arm was soooo hot and sweaty under that band. It was also hard to keep track of fastpasses. And we made them in advance and that part was fine but the website is so clunky and requires so many steps that there was no way I was able to make changes to them in the park, so if we missed using one, we just lost it.

Unless major improvements are made, I think the beach will be our new yearly destination. This trip was NOT fun or magical.

I'm sorry you had such an awful time. It sounds like the time you were there was during one of their marathon weekends and those can be very crowded indeed:(

We were there during the week. Touring plans said it would be a 3.

My only positives about the fastpasses are that other than Soarin' which still had a thirty minute wait even with the fastpass which meant we spent over an hour there because we had to do childswap, the rest of the fastpasses we got to use had no wait whatsoever. It was especially nice when my older two children who were hot, tired, and hungry, refused to go see Cinderella, so I went in alone with my baby, fortunately hopping right in to see her and right back out again, and by this time my snacked seven year old had changed her mind, so we were able to go right back in again with no wait for the second visit. If we'd waited in standby or even the old fastpass lines which seemed to usually run around ten minutes I'd have not been happy with the repeat wait, and kids do things like that all the time.

I wish there was a fastpass for Rapunzel. We didn't wait in the line which said 25 minutes, and are so glad we didn't since a family on the bus with us told us they only got to do three things all day because the Rapunzel line actually turned out to be TWO HOURS LONG by the time they finally reached her. Wow.

We were at MK yesterday, and agree, it was very busy. More so than I also have seen it in the past. We were there at rope drop and managed thunder mountain and haunted mansion, but sadly were not able to repeat the rides as we wished. The line times were 40 plus min on all major attractions the remainder of the day. We had a great time anyway, but definitely noticed the crowds! And the end of the day monorail closure wasn't welcome either! Line for ferry was very busy, too!

I hate to be a party pooper but based on your post it seems besides crowds (and again, its Disney World, not 6 Flags Great Adventure) most of your issues were with your party, not the company.

Do you not have a smart phone? All (no offense) non flip phones have easy email access and all rooms (if you were staying on site, and I would say most if not all Orlando hotels) offer free wifi so the ability to check email (even if you don't, doing it through your cell carrier isn't that expensive) to check for an email doesn't seem so outlandish.

And as for the rules, you should always check online or sites like this to see what has changed, lots of things change or rides are closed or things are under construction all year long.

Someone with a disability, tough, very hard, I understand that, but if they are in a wheelchair or a scooter or are unable to move themselves, nobody can push and hold the wheelchair? They also have break/locks so that when you aren't moving they don't roll.

And for your kids who refused to wear their arm bands, aren't you their parent? Don't you have any control? You paid for their Disney vacation, the least they can do is wear what is basically a watch.

It just seems as though you wanted the perfect experience, and didn't do your research, again I am not trying to be an *** or anything, but to consider never going to Disney again because your kids wouldn't wear their bands (do they not hold their phones or keys or anything on their own?) and that there were crowds and that you were with a handicapped person makes it seem like you just didn't plan on something happening, which is silly when everyone in the world wants to go to Disney 12 months a year

We were in Disney from Feb. 12th to 20th. We had no problems with our bands or changing our fast passes in the park. True we could not do Soarin without a fastpass, but we did have them for all the major rides. Yes the parks were crowded (New Jersey has off the week of Presidents' Day, so you probably hit that week)

We have learned to never go to a park that has EMH go to the other parks.

Why didn't you just put your bands in your backpack? My husband doesn't like wearing it either but he puts it on his belt loop and has never had a problem with it.

Sorry you had a bad time, but give it a try again.

I hate to be a party pooper but based on your post it seems besides crowds (and again, its Disney World, not 6 Flags Great Adventure) most of your issues were with your party, not the company. Do you not have a smart phone? All (no offense) non flip phones have easy email access and all rooms (if you were staying on site, and I would say most if not all Orlando hotels) offer free wifi so the ability to check email (even if you don't, doing it through your cell carrier isn't that expensive) to check for an email doesn't seem so outlandish. And as for the rules, you should always check online or sites like this to see what has changed, lots of things change or rides are closed or things are under construction all year long. Someone with a disability, tough, very hard, I understand that, but if they are in a wheelchair or a scooter or are unable to move themselves, nobody can push and hold the wheelchair? They also have break/locks so that when you aren't moving they don't roll. And for your kids who refused to wear their arm bands, aren't you their parent? Don't you have any control? You paid for their Disney vacation, the least they can do is wear what is basically a watch. It just seems as though you wanted the perfect experience, and didn't do your research, again I am not trying to be an *** or anything, but to consider never going to Disney again because your kids wouldn't wear their bands (do they not hold their phones or keys or anything on their own?) and that there were crowds and that you were with a handicapped person makes it seem like you just didn't plan on something happening, which is silly when everyone in the world wants to go to Disney 12 months a year

Agreed! You and your family were able to skip the lines on your past visits, but now that you have to wait like everyone else you don't want to go back??

I wish there was a fastpass for Rapunzel. We didn't wait in the line which said 25 minutes, and are so glad we didn't since a family on the bus with us told us they only got to do three things all day because the Rapunzel line actually turned out to be TWO HOURS LONG by the time they finally reached her. Wow.

There is a Fastpass option for Rapunzel in Magic Kingdom. :)

My children are 2, 4, and 7. No, they do not hold their own phones or cameras, nor do they wear watches. Yes, I could make them wear their wristbands, but then I would also run the risk of them ripping them off and throwing them out of the stroller without my noticing, and then where would we be? I don't even know why my two year old HAD a wristband. The second day after realizing it was completely unnecessary we stopped wearing hers.

My problem WAS with the company. It was with changed rules with no way of notifying guests. Would it really have been so difficult for ANY of the cast members at ANY of the rides where we asked for assistance with how to board the ride given her handicap to have TOLD her she could go to the front and get a card?

My other big problem was with losing an hour waiting at guest relations for a problem that we were assured TWICE prior to going that our magicbands were all set and ready to go and we would have no problems. That was an important hour for missing lines.

And my problem was with lines being long, which I have never seen this time of the year before, which makes me think the new way of doing fastpass must be contributing to lengthier standby lines. It really didn't seem that much more crowded in the park than in years past -- just the lines.

Yes, of course someone could push my friend in a wheelchair. My 2 year old helped. My 7 year old helped. I have three small children to keep track of in line, the youngest who usually needs held to keep her nearby. I can't hold a two year old in one arm, hold a four year old's hand in the other, and push a wheelchair at the same time. We did the best we could, but it certainly wasn't easy. And under the old policy, it wasn't necessary.

Yes, I do have a smart phone. I tried endlessly to change fastpasses using my smart phone while at Disney World holding onto my three children and pushing a wheelchair. Again, as I said, Disney's site is clunky, loads very slowly, and requires going through page after page after page to accomplish anything. And while I could check my email using my phone -- no, I don't make it a habit of checking my email while taking care of three little ones and navigating a busy theme park.

I went a year ago with the same three children, a year younger so even more difficult to deal with, and the same handicapped person, and did have a perfect experience, so it wasn't like I set my sights too high or that the problem was with my family. Disney has changed everything, and my personal experience is that they've ruined a great thing.

I'm so sorry you had an awful trip. That doesn't sound like fun at all. That's frustrating. And to the several posters ahead of me--when did it become ok to speak to others in such a condescending manner? If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything at all.

We weren't given any option for a fastpass for Rapunzel! I checked repeatedly because it had a fp return and there was nothing. We made fastpass reservations a month out so I don't think it was just that they were out.

I hate to be a party pooper but based on your post it seems besides crowds (and again, its Disney World, not 6 Flags Great Adventure) most of your issues were with your party, not the company.

Do you not have a smart phone? All (no offense) non flip phones have easy email access and all rooms (if you were staying on site, and I would say most if not all Orlando hotels) offer free wifi so the ability to check email (even if you don't, doing it through your cell carrier isn't that expensive) to check for an email doesn't seem so outlandish.

And as for the rules, you should always check online or sites like this to see what has changed, lots of things change or rides are closed or things are under construction all year long.

Someone with a disability, tough, very hard, I understand that, but if they are in a wheelchair or a scooter or are unable to move themselves, nobody can push and hold the wheelchair? They also have break/locks so that when you aren't moving they don't roll.

And for your kids who refused to wear their arm bands, aren't you their parent? Don't you have any control? You paid for their Disney vacation, the least they can do is wear what is basically a watch.

It just seems as though you wanted the perfect experience, and didn't do your research, again I am not trying to be an *** or anything, but to consider never going to Disney again because your kids wouldn't wear their bands (do they not hold their phones or keys or anything on their own?) and that there were crowds and that you were with a handicapped person makes it seem like you just didn't plan on something happening, which is silly when everyone in the world wants to go to Disney 12 months a year

Well, you are a party pooper. While we were there wifi worked great everywhere but wdw. It has been a big issue the last couple of weeks, so no, you wouldn't get an email while in the parks if you had a smart phone. And CMs don't give you special FPs if the ride is broken down until they know it's not going to come back up -- they tell you to come back. That's what we were told when they closed off part of new FL to test the new coaster. But we didn't -- we just didn't use that FP at all.

Btw, the OP said they go at the same time every year and they also confirmed their MDE plans in advance by phone. I'm not sure there's more that can be asked of a guest -- and there shouldn't be. I don't even like the idea that all guests should be required to have a smart phone, especially with the wifi down or dropping often. As somebody coming from outside the US do you really expect me to use data just to change a FP? That would add hundreds of dollars to the cost of my trip.

Sorry if I sound a bit critical, but I think your post was pretty nasty. Their experience was their experience. I'm not sure why people feel they have to defend Disney so vehemently that they want to put other posters down.

Agreed! You and your family were able to skip the lines on your past visits, but now that you have to wait like everyone else you don't want to go back??

This 1000%:thumbsup2

Unfortunately for the OP, you can thank guests of the past who abused the system to bypass the lines. The very first thing anyone should do is see if and/or what has changed for people in need of assistance. Just because "it was that way before" doesn't mean it's going to be the same today or even tomorrow.

As for the magicbands not working, it sounds like you're not the only person being inconvenienced by this, hence the long line for getting that fixed as well.

OP, I'm sorry you didn't have an enjoyable experience, but maybe knowing how things are now, you'll be able to better plan for your next visit.

By all means OP, if you feel this strongly about the experience you had, don't let this message board be the only place you vent. Take the time to construct a well written email and send it to the company. At the least, you could possibly have someone contact you and speak with you on the matter.

My children are 2, 4, and 7. No, they do not hold their own phones or cameras, nor do they wear watches. Yes, I could make them wear their wristbands, but then I would also run the risk of them ripping them off and throwing them out of the stroller without my noticing, and then where would we be? I don't even know why my two year old HAD a wristband. The second day after realizing it was completely unnecessary we stopped wearing hers.

My problem WAS with the company. It was with changed rules with no way of notifying guests. Would it really have been so difficult for ANY of the cast members at ANY of the rides where we asked for assistance with how to board the ride given her handicap to have TOLD her she could go to the front and get a card?

My other big problem was with losing an hour waiting at guest relations for a problem that we were assured TWICE prior to going that our magicbands were all set and ready to go and we would have no problems. That was an important hour for missing lines.

And my problem was with lines being long, which I have never seen this time of the year before, which makes me think the new way of doing fastpass must be contributing to lengthier standby lines. It really didn't seem that much more crowded in the park than in years past -- just the lines.

Yes, of course someone could push my friend in a wheelchair. My 2 year old helped. My 7 year old helped. I have three small children to keep track of in line, the youngest who usually needs held to keep her nearby. I can't hold a two year old in one arm, hold a four year old's hand in the other, and push a wheelchair at the same time. We did the best we could, but it certainly wasn't easy. And under the old policy, it wasn't necessary.

Yes, I do have a smart phone. I tried endlessly to change fastpasses using my smart phone while at Disney World holding onto my three children and pushing a wheelchair. Again, as I said, Disney's site is clunky, loads very slowly, and requires going through page after page after page to accomplish anything. And while I could check my email using my phone -- no, I don't make it a habit of checking my email while taking care of three little ones and navigating a busy theme park.

I went a year ago with the same three children, a year younger so even more difficult to deal with, and the same handicapped person, and did have a perfect experience, so it wasn't like I set my sights too high or that the problem was with my family. Disney has changed everything, and my personal experience is that they've ruined a great thing.

We weren't able to make changes to our FPs in the parks on any of the days -- the wifi just is so much worse than what it needs to be to count on doing that. I either did it at concierge (which could give half hour windows -- awesome) or by the pool at our resort.

and I don't think it was more crowded either -- no problem getting a table in the CS restaurants, no problem watching fireworks this week.

I'm so sorry you had an awful trip. That doesn't sound like fun at all. That's frustrating. And to the several posters ahead of me--when did it become ok to speak to others in such a condescending manner? If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything at all.

This. :thumbsup2

Not sure I want to ever start a thread on these boards now. I don't actually own a flame suit.

I really don't get where the OP did anything wrong. It definitely wasn't her fault that they got stuck trying to get the issues with their bands straightened out and lost park time. The same thing happened to us and it was incredibly frustrating! I can't think of anything we could have done to avoid that. You don't know until you get to the park gate that your band isn't going to work. It cost us 40 minutes at park opening, and there's just no making that up. I really don't get why it would EVER take that long to resolve.

I agree that the whole fastpass plus system has put a damper on the way we do WDW. Prices go up, but we now cannot do as much as we used to. We've gone every year (sometimes more) and I'm really thinking that's not going to happen anymore. I no longer feel like a guest. I now feel like a customer, and not a very valued one at that. It's not the CM's that make me feel that way, but the corporate decisions being made.

Tigerlulu said:

This is normal on the dis board. If you have a positive experience with FP you also get condescending remarks. I think you should let the other side of FP know that also.
I hope the op is able to let Disney know of her troubles. Hopefully her issues will help someone in the future.
I am pro FP, but also see changes need to be made. Hopefully we will see some changes soon. I would not hold my breath for the old ways, as I believe those are gone.

You and your family were able to skip the lines on your past visits, but now that you have to wait like everyone else you don't want to go back??

Is that what you really think happened- people in a wheelchair or ECV got to "skip lines"? I must not have any luck because that never happened for me in my 5 years of visiting DW with an ECV. In fact my family and I frequently had to wait LONGER than everyone else.

First, for the OP - so sorry that your trip was certainly less than magical. It can be so disappointing to plan, look forward to, and spend a good deal of money on a trip that does not go well. One of the reasons for this board is for people to give their honest feelings regarding their experience. That being said, I am really disturbed by the nasty trend that is happening here. Why must people be so mean? Do you feel good about yourself at the end of the day that you cyber-crushed someone? Do you get some weird pleasure from it? Get off your Disney high-horse and act like a polite adult!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter