• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst Ride Experience..I lost it on Mission Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summit Plummet vs. Humunga Cowabunga...... I had a wedgie on HC so bad that I thought my bathing suit was coming out of my mouth that was in 1990 when I was 13. Later on in 1998 I went on Summit Plummet and when I tell you my legs were crossed so tight you coulda have turned coal into a diamond and still wound up with a wedgie LOL

Believe me, the green Mission Space is intense too, that's all we did and then we never wanted to do that again

Love Mission Space, LOVE ToT, love all of the extreme rides, but, I did Summit Plummet, didn't really scare me, the drop was lots of fun, but the landing... I slammed into the side of the channel and ended up with a really huge bruise on the outside of my thigh all the way up my hip, so, no more for me!
My son got hurt as well. When he landed he hurt his back.

IMO it's a lot of mind over matter, dealing with unknowns or fears. Another possible explanation is your body is just not used to rapid motion like on these rides.

Some people actually ride it without the seat belt. I would like to try it, but it's not worth the risk of being thrown out of the park.

How do they get away with it? While it would certainly make the ride more thrilling I know at DCA part of the CM spiel is to ask guests to lift their arms (so they can check everyone has pulled the belt across, and not over bags) then 'pull on the yellow tab' (to ensure they're buckled in) and this is done after the seatbelt lock is initiated. Not sure if its different at DHS?

Personally I LOVE tot but will never set foot on the swinging cars on Mickeys wheel of death or the tea cups! :)

My daughter was petrified of roller coasters at age 15 but a HUGE Aero Smith fan. Says she wants to desperately get over her fear of them and said the Rock n Roll coaster is the ticket. Right when the harness locked her in she began to have a massive first time panic attack and was trying desperately to break free. I started yelling at the top of my lungs for the cast member to get us off. Thank God one heard us... They shut the whole ride system down after that to stop the launch which I heard take a 1/2 hour to re-boot. She was so calm during the line wait and even stepping into the car as soon as that harness came down she lost it. One embarrassed scared Dad.... The walk of shame thru the chicken exit was not the most magical moment of our trip, but everyone on the ride with us was very sympathetic and understanding...

Last edited:
How do they get away with it? While it would certainly make the ride more thrilling I know at DCA part of the CM spiel is to ask guests to lift their arms (so they can check everyone has pulled the belt across, and not over bags) then 'pull on the yellow tab' (to ensure they're buckled in) and this is done after the seatbelt lock is initiated. Not sure if its different at DHS?

Personally I LOVE tot but will never set foot on the swinging cars on Mickeys wheel of death or the tea cups! :)

You can tuck the belt into your pants a little and it will be enough to hold it. You just fake pulling on the yellow tab. I'm never trying this, but I don't think it would be hard to do. The only issue is if they noticed on the security cameras that you were coming out of your seat a little too much.

Mission Space is my favorite ride in all of Disney World... and I have a year and a couple more months until 30. Does that mean I'm running out of time?! :rotfl2:

No, I don't think so. I have motion sickness generally: planes, boats, cruise ships. I did ride Mission Space Green side this weekend, and I can ride that one no problem. For whatever reason, the Orange side spinning just makes me ill.

Mission Space is my favorite ride in all of Disney World... and I have a year and a couple more months until 30. Does that mean I'm running out of time?! :rotfl2:

I'm 57, was off roller coasters for years, then suddenly rediscovered them! Now the steeper, higher, faster and more inversions the better. The rides at WDW are very tame for what I enjoy. That said, I have never tried M:S Orange. I ride Green all the time, but I have been a little worried about the other side because of what I read. So not sure if I will ever screw up the courage to try that side - and this thread isn't helping much :rotfl:

I’m a total thrill junkie, but I wasn’t always that way! When I was about 8 years old, I totally freaked out while waiting in line for Space Mountain. Apparently, I psyched myself up so much that by the time our rocket returned to earth I was out cold.

Fast-forward four years or so and I’m beginning to warm up to thrill rides. Splash Mountain? No problem. Expedition Everest? Piece of cake. It was time for the final test: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I’ll skip the part about me trying to look brave in front of my family and my friend’s family as the on-ride photo captured the essence of the entire ride. Both moms were desperately consoling my sister and her friend who were bawling their eyes out. One brother was reduced to tears while the other and his friend were screaming that they were gonna die. The dads, totally oblivious to the chaos around them, had their arms raised and laughed like crazy people. And me? I clung to my best friend next to me with a death grip, eyes shut the entire time screaming like a banshee. Fun, right?

I loved it after the third ride.

Ok, this is embarrassing but here goes...last week we were in Epcot. DH and DS's love Mission Space. DD not so much. Her and I had not ridden it in years. This year she decided she wanted to give it another go. I remember not loving the experience (green) because tight spaces aren't my thing. While in line I kept hearing the warnings. DD now 11 was excited so I didn't give it too much thought. Until they shut the door on that tuna can :scared1::scared1:. What the heck was I thinking quickly enters my mind. DD is excitedly chirping away. 'Isn't this fun mom?' Oh yes I manage to eek out. Now my heart is racing and I can't catch my breath. That stupid air blowing in my face is not helping. :rotfl2:. I am in full blown panic attack, I can laugh now. I am on the end and gently rapping on the door. I am caught between not wanting to ruin DD's experience and not wanting an unsuspecting cast member to find my limp body at the end. When my knocks of terror went unnoticed I decided it best to clench my eyes shut, pray to the dear Lord for mercy and go to my happy place ( all the while answering my daughters million questions and hitting my button at the appropriate time). I'm proud to tell the tale- I lived through it and will never ride it again :rotfl: What was you're worst ride experience and why?

I give you credit ! I had all the fears running threw me from all the warnings and at the very end in line i aborted ! i couldn't go threw with it and probably never will ..On a side note though i did have a blast in the lobby with every playing the space station game.

This thread is over a year old and posters are replying to others who were last on the board over a year ago. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter