Worried someone will get sick right before cruise!

HoustonMom1

Mouseketeer
Does anyone else get irrationally worried that someone in the family will get sick right before their cruise? Our cruise is a month away, and my anxiety has already set in (fueled by the fact that the flu is going around right now).

Guess that's why some families choose to buy trip insurance. At least you can get the money back to rebook another time.

I don't worry, but I make everyone in the house take extra vitamin c pils starting 2 weeks before a vacation. We all sanitize our hands more often and drink more orange juice. We just make an extra effort to remain healthy.

Yes! It actually happened to us and we almost had to cancel. My son came down with a cough that wouldn't go away and the doctor dismissed it as a virus. Well, the morning we were supposed to drive away, he had deteriorated so much that DH took him to the ER. I didn't go with them because I was at the dentist with DD who was screaming in pain over a toothache!

Seriously, this is a cruiser's nightmare for sure! The ironic thing is that neither of my kids get sick EVER and they both need urgent care the day we are leaving. Thank goodness we had planned to go down a few days early. After both got antibiotics in their system they were good to go and totally fine when we boarded the ship. We never bought travel insurance, but after that experience, I won't take chances again!

I'm sending pixie dust your way that your family will stay healthy and you'll have a great time :)

I am suddenly concerned about this. We sail on SUNDAY and my daughter was vomiting all night/day this past Sat. She still isn't eating but is otherwise symptom free. So far (knock on wood) no one else has come down with it.

I am so glad we bought insurance.

LOL DH sneezed three dats before we left for our last cruise. I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "You WILL not get sick on me before this cruise. Got it?"

Of course his reply was, "Yes, dear."

I think it's a normal concern.

TBMommy said:
I am suddenly concerned about this. We sail on SUNDAY and my daughter was vomiting all night/day this past Sat. She still isn't eating but is otherwise symptom free. So far (knock on wood) no one else has come down with it.

I am so glad we bought insurance.

I am not sure the time frame, but one of the questions you must answer for each person before boarding the ship is, "Have you vomited in the last -----."

Someone who has seen that form way more than me will chime in.

- Dreams

I always get super paranoid in the weeks before we cruise. Like, to the point that if my SIL makes an offhand remark about one of her kids having a runny nose I quarantine us from family events. And that was all cruising from where we live so we just had to worry about cruise fare, no flights or other expenses.

We haven't been on a cruise yet, but I always have this fear before a trip. I have started getting Emergen-C. I also just read that if you drink grape juice every day it helps keep stomach bugs away. Not sure if it works, but it probably doesn't hurt!

Two years ago my DD was in the hospital 5 days before our trip. She got out and was doing somewhat better by the time we went, and we had two days at Disney that she just rested at the resort and then on the cruise she basically stayed with us almost the whole time until the last night she went with her sister to the teen club. But most of the time she was just taking it easy and staying near DH and I.

So it can happen out of the blue. We lucked out that our trip was not canceled. Hopefully all goes well for you, but if you can get your family to cooperate, I think the extra vitamin C and extra hand sanitizing is a good idea two weeks before you leave. My family probably wouldn't cooperate without me doing a lot of nagging.

Dreams: One of the questions is "within 48 hours" and the other is "within 72". I can't remember which one was for vomiting. I guess I need to see that form more too! lol

A few days before we left on our cruise, our DS went into a patch of poison ivy. Of course this was just after I told him to stay away. He looked awful. So our doctor gave him the nuclear treatment and wrote us a letter that said he was Not contagious. He looked like he had a communicable disease and I wouldn't have been offended if you kept your kids away from him. Meds worked and he looked better by the time we boarded.

Melissa S said:
Dreams: One of the questions is "within 48 hours" and the other is "within 72". I can't remember which one was for vomiting. I guess I need to see that form more too! lol

LOL Thank you for clarifying. Since our memory is off on the exact wording, I think we definitely need to take another cruise immediately! :)

- Dreams

I always fear something will happen before our cruise whether it be someone getting sick or breaking a bone. This is why the insurance is good to buy. But what I fear the worst is what the weather is going to be like for the sail away party. Lol. Nothing worse then a thunderstorm to ruin it. Insurance doesn't buy a sunny day :)

Yes! On our cruise last June, I was really worried that one of my 3 kids would get sick. If one of my kids gets sick, they usually spread it to my other kids and it stays in our house for like 2 weeks.

So a few weeks before we sailed, we started giving the kids gummy vitamins with echinachea. And I stopped taking them to indoor germy places (like my gym daycare, indoor mall play areas, etc.) I also made sure the kids washed their hands a few times a day and before all meals and snacks. We kind of cocooned ourselves a week before the cruise. And it worked.

Our next cruise is in February, which has me a little more worried since it's winter. But my plan will be the same--start the vitamins, no indoor play areas, etc.

Good luck!

I ALWAYS get insurance if we would be upset if the trip was cancelled. For instance, on our last trip, we insured the flights but not the cruise. We were going to greece anyway to see family and decided to add on a cruise. The extra insurance was about 300$ and our thoughts were that we could still take the trip and go to Greece regardless at another time if we had to. The insurance wasn't worth it to us. Mostly when travelling since having kids, though, we do get insurance. Before we never did. We could have afforded pay for the whole trip again if we had to cancel or we would just not take it. I have never had to cancel a trip before.

HoustonMom1 said:
Does anyone else get irrationally worried that someone in the family will get sick right before their cruise? Our cruise is a month away, and my anxiety has already set in (fueled by the fact that the flu is going around right now).

I always have that fear.

The whole family got flu shots this year for that exact reason! Hope it works!!!!

Neither kid will take vitamins. :(

I always have that fear.

The whole family got flu shots this year for that exact reason! Hope it works!!!!

Neither kid will take vitamins. :(

not even the chewables? There are liquid vitamins you can put in juice or something.

my wonderful, just love her, goes above and beyond disney travel agent hooked me up with an insurance carrier that do not charge for kids. our 8 night cruise has insurance for only $100

HoustonMom1 said:

I was super worried about it before our 11/3 cruise! I made everyone wash their hands all the time!! We got lucky and none of us got sick! :). We did come home with a cold! LOL

Yes! I am worried!!! We will be going into lock down mode a couple weeks before the cruise!! The kids are pretty sick right now so I am hoping this builds up their immune system a little bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter