Worried for a friend - pregnancy related

I had one done. It was no big deal. It took less than 2 minutes, including stopping halfway through to do a quick ultrasound scan and make sure we weren't compressing his cord. It didn't hurt at all, and I had no pain meds.

I will say that I had a good OB who likes to do ECVs and has a lot of practice with them. She says that you can tell really quickly whether someone is a good candidate or not. She doesn't spend a long time yanking and pulling. Either it works or it doesn't. Although, sometimes if it doesn't work at first, she'll have an epidural administered to relax the woman's tummy muscles and try one more time.

I did a lot of things before the ECV, and I think that they did help a little. His bottom was originally wedged in my pelvis, but he was sideways the morning of the ECV. I did chiropractic adjustments, homeopathic pulsatilla, laying on an ironing board, lots of knee-to-chest positioning, and the typical flashlight, music, cold peas, and heating pad.

A c-section does have risks, and those risks only increase when the baby is breach. Doctors don't like to talk about it (since it's unavoidable), but it's hard to get a breach baby out during a c-section. They end up doing a lot of tugging and pulling. If the baby will turn, everything is much, much better.

I had one done. It was no big deal. It took less than 2 minutes, including stopping halfway through to do a quick ultrasound scan and make sure we weren't compressing his cord. It didn't hurt at all, and I had no pain meds.

I will say that I had a good OB who likes to do ECVs and has a lot of practice with them. She says that you can tell really quickly whether someone is a good candidate or not. She doesn't spend a long time yanking and pulling. Either it works or it doesn't. Although, sometimes if it doesn't work at first, she'll have an epidural administered to relax the woman's tummy muscles and try one more time.

I did a lot of things before the ECV, and I think that they did help a little. His bottom was originally wedged in my pelvis, but he was sideways the morning of the ECV. I did chiropractic adjustments, homeopathic pulsatilla, laying on an ironing board, lots of knee-to-chest positioning, and the typical flashlight, music, cold peas, and heating pad.

A c-section does have risks, and those risks only increase when the baby is breach. Doctors don't like to talk about it (since it's unavoidable), but it's hard to get a breach baby out during a c-section. They end up doing a lot of tugging and pulling. If the baby will turn, everything is much, much better.
Definately!

My mom said the Dr's had a hard time getting DD out. They got her feet out first but her head was stuck. According to my mom, who was in the delivery room, her feet came out at 8:16 and at 8:18 they finally got her head out. She said they were passing her legs around saying "you try." :eek: Anyway, all turned out well. :thumbsup2 :lovestruc

Update - mom and baby are ok. It was a struggle and baby only got moved 3/4 of the way. Mom is in a lot of pain. Baby's heartbeat stayed constant. The doctor doesn't think the baby will flip back because it was so difficult to move. They are hopeful it will move the rest of the way by itself.

She did say it was the worst pain she ever felt, worse than childbirth!

LuvinLucifer said:
I'll definitely opt for a c-section if I'm ever in a similar situation now.

I think the pain must depend on how elastic the mom's uterus is and how big the baby is. My boss's wife had it done, the baby moved with just a little pressure all the way down and the mom had no pain.

However, if I'm in this position in July, I will opt for the c-section. From what I've read and been told by my doctor, the risks of a csection are more for the mother (some for baby of course) but inversion puts more risk on the baby. I know there is risks for both of us in either case, but I want most if the risk to be on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter