Worried about my dog. I'm feeling very anxious (VET CALLED WITH A DIAGNOSIS post #91)

heidica

Hooked on Disney!
I am really scared about my dog. Something is wrong. I called the Vet this morning and the first available time they can see her is tomorrow at 1:45pm. The receptionist did say she would call if there was a cancellation and they could get me in earlier.

My dog Tiffany is acting really weird. She seems lethargic, confused and weak. I don't know what is going on, but she is not acting like my Tiffany. Her gait seems ok, but she seems weak. Then she isn't begging like she normally does. She didn't come sit by the table for lunch like she normally does. Then she was standing by the sliding glass door just zoning (for lack of a better term). She stood there for a few minutes doing this, just standing there staring at the corner. Also, she normally follows me around the house but she isn't today. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, I have seen her drink water and a little food, but not her normal amount of food and I have seen her go outside and go to the bathroom. Also, I haven't seen her wag her tail all day. She doesn't seem in any distress, is breathing ok, but I am really worried. I don't know if my nerves can wait until the Vet appointment tomorrow. I don't know Tiffany's exact age because we adopted her 5 years ago. But at the time of the adoption the vet made an educated guess that she was about 5. So that would put her around 10 yrs old, making her a senior dog. All this seems to have come on really suddenly. She did have a "zoning" episode last week but came out of it and seemed like her normal self. She wasn't like this yesterday. I'm so worried.

Oh I'm sorry. I know how I'd feel if it were my dog. Hopefully all will be ok. Do you have an emergency vet clinic if you need it between now and your appointment tomorrow?

Let us know how the appointment goes. :grouphug:

When mine are sick like this, I don't even call for an appointment. I just take them and wait. After hours, to an emergency vet. Check your area for a 24 hr emergency vet clinic.

Nana Annie said:
What breed is she? Or what mix? Is she a large breed dog with a deep chest?

Some of the symptoms (not all so don't panic) could possibly suggest the onset of bloat. If bloat, she would need to see the Vet ASAP.

I would look up an emergency vet near you and give them a call. Describe the symptoms and the dog and see if they feel they need to see her.

And if you are very worried, just take her to an emergency vet. Trust your instincts.

She is a mixed breed small/medium size (35 lbs). She definitely isn't a big dog with a big chest. There is an emergency vet I can go to if necessary. After my first post, I did call the vet back and did a consult over the phone, to go over the symptoms. They had me check her gums, to make sure they weren't pale, as that would be a sign of circulation/lack of oxygen problem. Her gums are pink. Also, they confirmed her breathing was ok and it is. The vet said they will be sure to do some blood work tomorrow and go from there and to keep an eye on her tonight. I keep going in and out of crying I'm so stressed, but after talking to the vet over the phone I feel like waiting less than 14 hours for the appt tomorrow will be ok, but will go to the emergency vet if the slightest thing changes.

I'm not even close to a vet, so take this for what it's worth, but I have a Beagle that is very allergic to bee stings. She's been stung a couple of times and this is exactly how she acts. She zones out, even drools with her head drooping low. The only other thing that gives me a clue is the next day she breaks out all over in some kind of (hives?). You can tell she's broken out because her fur raises up where the welts are and if she's stung on her muzzle, her nose really swells up too.

Just a shot in the dark. Hope your dog is feeling better soon and you get some answers.

Glad you called the vet. You should rest easier now.

It is probably just something minor. I know when I have a 24 hour bug, I am not myself. And I certainly don't want to get out of bed, let alone follow the kids around :goodvibes

Get some rest, follow your vet's advice and just keep an eye on her. If you have any concerns during the night, the emergency vet option is always there. :grouphug:

Nana Annie said:
Glad you called the vet. You should rest easier now.

It is probably just something minor. I know when I have a 24 hour bug, I am not myself. And I certainly don't want to get out of bed, let alone follow the kids around :goodvibes

Get some rest, follow your vet's advice and just keep an eye on her. If you have any concerns during the night, the emergency vet option is always there. :grouphug:
My gut is telling me it is something neurological, not a stroke, but something affecting her "thinking", not sure what, but she isn't showing signs of a stroke. (ok that sentencing was really bad grammar, sorry)

Praying she is ok. I'm dealing with a sick furbaby too and I am worried sick.

I sure hope your dog feels better soon. I had a small poodle - 40 pounds that at the age of 11, had similar symptoms to yours. It turns out after many tests that she had Alzheimer's.

mmausse said:
I sure hope your dog feels better soon. I had a small poodle - 40 pounds that at the age of 11, had similar symptoms to yours. It turns out after many tests that she had Alzheimer's.
This has crossed my mind.

I hope she's okay. It's so hard when our furbabies are sick. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times that I've looked Chloe in the eyes and told her that I wished she could talk.

Prayers coming your way for a good diagnosis for Tiffany. I recently went through a strange incident with Chloe and know how frustrating and scary it can be.

Give her an ear scratch for me and please keep us updated!

I hope things look up tomorrow...I have a furbaby named Tiffany too!

Keep us posted and hang in there Mom!

heidica said:
My gut is telling me it is something neurological, not a stroke, but something affecting her "thinking", not sure what, but she isn't showing signs of a stroke.

That's what I'm thinking too. I wonder if she's having seizures. Sometimes seizure activity is like this, kind of "zoned out". They don't always thrash around. Her activity level is so different and she's not paying attention--something is definitley wrong. Wonder what they'd do if you just showed up with her first thing in the morning- :confused3

minkydog said:
Wonder what they'd do if you just showed up with her first thing in the morning- :confused3

My thoughts exactly. Show up when they open and wait. I bet they can find a way to work you in first thing, especially if early appt. people are running late (which happens very often).

DemonLlama said:
My thoughts exactly. Show up when they open and wait. I bet they can find a way to work you in first thing, especially if early appt. people are running late (which happens very often).

Ya, I may need to consider that. So far she hasn't gotten worse. She has followed me around a little bit more this late afternoon and evening, so for me that is a positive sign. I doubt I am going to be able to sleep tonight.

:grouphug: I hope she is ok. We have a new puppy and just yesterday we had to rush him to the vet he was so hot and lethargic...had a 105 degree temp when he got to the vet(came home with $320 bill and some pills). I hate it when my fur babies get sick...I will make sure to keep you guys in my thoughts tomorrow.

So, I was able to get into the vet earlier than the 1:45pm appt. But this is the first chance I have had to post. So the vet said he is concerned that Tiffany might be anemic and he's concerned she might have a clotting problem. When they were drawing blood, he said her veins blew really easily and that was a concern. He definitely thinks something is going on and that we will start will the blood work and go from there. I will probably have to come back so xrays can be done. He should call me no later than tomorrow about the lab results, but we made it just in time for the lab pick up today, so I may know by later today. He give her a vitamin injection and gave me some high concentration vitamin liquid to give her twice a day. I do give both our dogs a vitamin tablet once a day, but it might not be enough. And lastly, he gave me some high calorie concentration dog food to feed Tiffany. She was eating the canned dog food I got for her yesterday but only a few bites, so this high dose food should help. I gave her some already and she ate it right up. Also, I was happy to learn Tiffany's weight was the same as it was in March during her yearly physical. I was concerned she had lost some weight. So, I will continue keeping an eye on her and doing what I can.

I slept really poorly last night, worry about her and I kept getting out of bed to make sure she was OK and to know where she was. Hopefully, I will sleep better tonight. Thanks for all the DIS support out there. It is really appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter