Worried about getting into Canada

Lando1

Earning My Ears
My family and I are taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise this June. We are experienced international travelers with the exception of going to Canada. My husband had a DWAI (Driving while ability impaired) 12 years ago. I literally just found out that Canada considers this a felony and has every right to deny him entrance into Canada!! We have never had any problem getting into any other country. It is way too late for us to apply for rehabilitation and we didn't purchase travel insurance. So we have to just show up and hope for the best. Has anyone reading this been through this or have any input? TIA

My family and I are taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise this June. We are experienced international travelers with the exception of going to Canada. My husband had a DWAI (Driving while ability impaired) 12 years ago. I literally just found out that Canada considers this a felony and has every right to deny him entrance into Canada!! We have never had any problem getting into any other country. It is way too late for us to apply for rehabilitation and we didn't purchase travel insurance. So we have to just show up and hope for the best. Has anyone reading this been through this or have any input? TIA
I've read several threads over on another cruise board from people in just that situation. Yes, they were denied. I believe I read that some were able to do some sort of "on the spot" rehabilitation (for a price). But I wouldn't count on it. I'd suggest having a plan B for him if he's denied. Are you all going to miss the trip? Or just him? Good luck.

Being from Canada, I can tell you that the same applies when crossing into the US for us!! Very strict even on those driving offenses! :)

That being said, I think both sides have relaxed quite a bit on those "offenses".... there are bigger fish to fry out there now a days! We cross frequently by land and air and have not been asked any of the old "ever been fingerprinted" or "ever been charged with an offence" questions in I can't even remember how long! I'm sure you will be fine! Especially if you have several stamps in your passports already from other countries! :)

I've read several threads over on another cruise board from people in just that situation. Yes, they were denied. I believe I read that some were able to do some sort of "on the spot" rehabilitation (for a price). But I wouldn't count on it. Good luck.

Were they travelling into Canada on these other threads?

I have even read that we can all be denied if he is. It will be our 10 year anniversary on the ship and I know our two kids and I would feel so off kilter if he wasn't on the boat with us. So we would probably just spend our week in Seattle instead. I'm such a planner and I can't believe I missed a detail like this!!

I'm sorry to say but you may very well be denied. I would call the border you are crossing at but I do believe its in the hands of the officer you deal with when crossing. My cousins girlfriend was denied entry because of he DUI

I think the days of waving you hi into Canada are over. That used to be the case. Those who frequently cross the border are sometimes not asked for paperwork, however be sure the plates are scanned and pictures of you displayed, hence no need for them to ask you for passport.

Someone with experience crossing the border via Amtrak should chime in. Does every passenger get checked and scanned or are some waved in?

They wouldn't deny the other people. Only the person with the offence. I would further research it but I googled for you and found that if a person is deemed rehabilitated they will be granted entry into Canada. To be deemed rehabilitated it has to be an offence which the maximum sentence in Canada is less than 10 years and it must be more than ten years since he served his sentence. You say this was 12 years ago. And based on a link I found driving under the influence is a maximum sentence of 5 years.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

https://www.defencelaw.com/penalty-driving.html

Hopefully this will get you started in finding a definitive answer.

ETA- this is a good link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/rehabilitation.asp

How would they know about the DUI? I've heard if it's a felony it comes up on your passport when they swipe it. I'm not sure but curious as to if there's another screening process? Is it expunged? Can he have it removed on this side and if so, will that satisfy the Canada side?

Unfortunately in Colorado, an alcohol related driving offense can never be sealed (expunged) (even misdemeanors). Other states are different though.

When you speak of "offenses" you aren't speaking of driving infractions, like a speeding ticket, right? Just felonies? This is something I never even thought of...

A charge of reckless driving can also make someone inadmissible. Wish I knew what pops up on the border agent's screen when they scan passports. Does a list of criminal offenses automatically appear? Thanks for all of the replies so far.

How would one know if a speeding ticket qualified as reckless driving? Honestly, my only speeding tickets don't show up as point reductions on my license anymore....

I'm pretty sure a run of the mill speeding ticket isn't the same as the far worse charge of reckless driving. Not a lawyer though :o

I just read the Canadian guidelines and it doesn't seem that a driving infraction, unless it was deemed at least a misdemeanor would qualify! Whew!

I work in trucking in the NW. We don't send any driver with anything in their past across the border. It seems to be hit and miss on what and when the find something. There may be different rule for taking the train across vs driving across.

I would do a background check on your husband to make sure it's on his record and bring the background check with you. I'd also read the rules on the border control website. I'm pretty sure it is 10 years and then no problem if you only have one total. We were in the same situation a couple years ago. My husband had two in one day 30 years ago and hasn't drank since. Two is supposedly automatic never entry to Canada unless you get a pardon which is a lengthy process. I did a background check on him and both dui's were on there. I called the border control and they told me he was technically not allowed entry. We tried anyways and had zero problems. We have since flown and drove across the border three times with nothing more than a welcome to Canada. From what I had read when researching his potential denied entry the tourism industry was up in arms about all the lost revenue and so the borders have relaxed their stance a bit. I think it's now something like less than five years ago for one infraction no entry, 10 years and one infraction entry allowed and more than two and zero entry without a pardon. I know the borders have your background check viewable and guess they may have some ability to make a judgement call. The guy like my husband who was a stupid kid who made a mistake and has since become a father and successful member of society with 30 years and no issues is not going to Canada to all of a sudden start drinking, driving and causing destruction.

How would they know about the DUI? I've heard if it's a felony it comes up on your passport when they swipe it. I'm not sure but curious as to if there's another screening process? Is it expunged? Can he have it removed on this side and if so, will that satisfy the Canada side?

Canada and U.S. Customs share criminal data, and Canada takes DUIs very seriously.

I've read a lot of the threads on CC about it, and one thing that was stated several times was "if you are asked, tell the truth, because they have all your info right there anyway".

Unfortunately I did also read that it's very difficult to get a straight answer on a case by case basis ahead of time.

And finally, even on a cruise departing the U.S. And visiting ports in Canada, you may be hassled by Canada customs even if you don't try to get off the ship in Canada.

This is all specifically in reference to US travelers with DUI/DWI trying to enter Canada.

Edit: the post immediately above mine seems to have fresher info. Also since other people are being honest about it: I became interested in the subject because my significant other got a DWI a very long time ago--he was in a bad place after his father died violently/suddenly. (Not an excuse, just context. Some people are multiple offenders, he isn't.) He has a glass of wine maybe 2x a year now. But the Canadian law seemed so confusing and strict (and also arbitrary) that I gave up on the idea of an Alaksan or New Englland/Canada cruise for now. The worst part is that it seems impossible to know ahead of time if you will be denied entry.

Last edited:
The issue is the DUI, even considered a driving offence in some states or a misdemeanour in others, equates to an indictable offence in Canada (similar to a felony)...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp#a4

If time is insufficient to apply for rehabilitation, you may request the issuance of a Temporary Resident Permit by the CBSA officer at a port of entry - there are no guarantees (see link below).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter