Worldwide Annual Car Insurance - Amex?

paulfoel

DIS Veteran
I've had this for a few years with Natwest. It cost about £80 a year and covered hire cars outside of the UK.

So it was great to use when hiring in Florida where, as you know, insurance can be expensive. Used to annoy the hire agents as well though which was fun!

Anyway, you used to have to have a NAtwest credit card to do this and I dont have one any more. I heard that American Express used to do a similar thing.

Anybody know anything about this or can recommend a product?

I'll go ahead and recommend www.insurance4carhire.com :sunny:

We've used it twice for Florida so far and recently purchased a European policy from them.

I believe that it's a similar policy to the Amex one :goodvibes

We've never had a claim for the US but are currently waiting to settle one following an incident where our hire car was damaged in Italy :crazy:

Hi,
I have an Amex card and get travel insurance and car hire insurance as part of the card fee. North America Cover is also available as part of their stand alone Annual Multi-trip Premier Plus Cover insurance package, deatils are on the Amex website. I had to make a claim on my car hire insurance a couple of years ago and Amex sorted everything out without me having to pay anything upfront and claim it back later. Imho this is biggest test of insurance and you don't know how good it is until you need it.

Mick.

:smooth:

alisonbestford said:

We've used it twice for Florida so far and recently purchased a European policy from them.

We've never had a claim for the US but are currently waiting to settle one following an incident where our hire car was damaged in Italy :crazy:

Thanks. I'll take a look at that...

mickg7dyd said:
Hi,
I have an Amex card and get travel insurance and car hire insurance as part of the card fee. North America Cover is also available as part of their stand alone Annual Multi-trip Premier Plus Cover insurance package, deatils are on the Amex website. I had to make a claim on my car hire insurance a couple of years ago and Amex sorted everything out without me having to pay anything upfront and claim it back later. Imho this is biggest test of insurance and you don't know how good it is until you need it.

Mick.

I've got an Amex card as well but I wasnt aware of the travel/car hire insurance. If you dont mind me asking - what type of Amex do u have? I've got a Platinum credit card.

I dont actually need travel insurance since my employer provides this for free for employees and their families (which is cool).

I'll have a look at the amex site as well...

Hi,
I have an Amex Platinum Charge Card and they recently revamped the "perks" this includes the insurance I already metioned and an airport lounge access card (Priorty Pass) for me and a secondary card holder (the dragon!!).

Mick.

mickg7dyd said:
Hi,
I have an Amex Platinum Charge Card and they recently revamped the "perks" this includes the insurance I already metioned and an airport lounge access card (Priorty Pass) for me and a secondary card holder (the dragon!!).

Mick.

I only got the Amex Plat Credit card not the charge card (which if I remember correctly u pay yearly for?).

mickg7dyd said:
Hi,

Mick.

Hi,

Another happy Annual Multi-trip Premier Plus Cover insurance package customer, excellent cover have had to make a couple of medical claims and again no problems paid out in full, and with this insurance you can pay a nominal amount for an excess waiver.
So a big thumbs up for Amex :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

the platinum charge card costs about £300 - u have to decide if the travel insurance, car hire insurance, priority pass card, hilton gold, starwood gold etc etc are worth it for you. I decided it was worth it for me as I take lots of trips every year with the other half and with many different airlines and sometimes we would pay into lounges anyway.

An example of how useful the insurance is - is that we live in Northen Ireland and my wife is from England - normal insurance doesnt cover travel within your own country at all, or unless a hotel room is booked - which is useless to us cos we stay with her folks - but the Amex Plat Charge Insurance covers all journeys where a flight or boat trip is taken.

alisonbestford said:

Hey. Thats cool - thanks.

Anyone know if Natwest still do it though - I cant see anything on their website.

Another vote here for insurance4carhire.com, ive used them in May with no probs and will use them again next month, £100 for a year is a bargin i think!

Yes natwest still do it, i asked the question on here a couple of weeks ago and found out the company name - strategic claims insurance i think. a few days later I got a renewal letter from them, I didn't realise my yearly one was still in force from last time!

I was never quite sure about taking other insurance, but weigh up £300+ from tour operator against natwest/insurance4carhire at £80/£100 and it soon convinces you!

Lynn

I had insurance4 carhire or whatever it is for the last 12 months and it gave me peace of mind but now AMEX have gone back to covering North America for all the extra's in their Insurance (I'm also a platinum charge card member) then I am sticking with that. To be honest though the best deal I found recently for my car hire was with Avis and included insurance so I took that.

arieliwish said:
Yes natwest still do it, i asked the question on here a couple of weeks ago and found out the company name - strategic claims insurance
Lynn

Yes, Strategic Claims is Insurance4carhire too as I've just returned our claim forms for Italy :sunny:

arieliwish said:
Yes natwest still do it, i asked the question on here a couple of weeks ago and found out the company name - strategic claims insurance i think. a few days later I got a renewal letter from them, I didn't realise my yearly one was still in force from last time!

I was never quite sure about taking other insurance, but weigh up £300+ from tour operator against natwest/insurance4carhire at £80/£100 and it soon convinces you!

Lynn

Dont suppose you have a website / phone no for them do you ?

Yes found it - tel: 0845 345 6611, fax: 0845 458 9633, email: info@sis-I.com, and website is www.sis-I.com

They sent a renewal number on my letter which is 0845 458 9677 and they were still quoting £75 for the year.

Lynn

arieliwish said:
paulfoel - sorry its an 'L' !! Thought it was an i - oops!

Try again - www.sis-l.com (WWW.SIS-L.COM!!)

Lynn

I did try ringing them but didnt really get much sense out of them. Appears they are just the claims handlers and dont deal direct with the public.

Anyway, they got insurance4cars to phone me so I did throught them (who use strategic claims it seems !)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter