World Wind Software - Pretty Cool

Otter49

DIS Veteran
This probably isn't the correct place for this thread - but didn't know where else to put it. Apologies if this post gets lengthy.

NASA has released a new software called World Wind (Google it, and you'll find download link right away). It's about 54mgb and takes a while to download. Their servers are obviously busy - but it's well worth installing. And of course, Free is always a good thing.

A tip - I found that of their North American servers, New York was a good deal faster than Atlanta.

You get a great tool for viewing satellite imagery of all of your favorite places on the Earth as well as the Moon. This of course would including looking at WDW, which is my reason for posting.

A couple of tidbits from spending a few minutes with World Wind:

The button titled USGS Digital gives the best resolution. You can use your scroll wheel to change your elevation down to as little as a few hundred feet.

I turned on place names and got the following descriptors that I found interesting - Lake Buena Vista Stolport (no surprise there), Epcot Center Ultralight Airport, and the Living Seas Heliport. Discovery Island bears its official name of Riles Island.

And sort of a surprise to me - in looking at Animal Kingdom, there are a few holes of what I presume to be one of Orange Lake's golf courses only a few hundred yards from the west side of KS.

And for those of you who might be familiar with ultra-ritzy Isleworth (where Tiger Woods lives), there's a place name in the middle of the development that says "Isleworth Railroad Station". Any idea what's up with that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter