• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

World of Color -- worth the wait for 3 and 5 year olds?

nikib808

Earning My Ears
Calling all Disney experts!!

This is our first family trip to the Disney parks. We planned 4 full days in the parks and are on day two. We quickly learned that 4 days is not quite enough with naps midday...

Our dilemma is whether to skip WOC (again)in lieu of doing more of the rides that the kids enjoy. We've had 5:10pm WOC dining reservations but we've cancelled them because it takes up a chunk of the evening.

Anyone feel strongly that WOC is a must see for kids as young as 3 and 5?

Thanks, everyone, for your insight. This board has been a lifesaver on this trip.

Feel strongly? No. Should you think about it? Sure.

One of my co-workers took her DS5, DS3 and DD2 last year for 3 days. WOC was the highlight of her DD5's trip.

It does take a lot of waiting. But so can Fantasmic. The difference with Fantasmic is that you do not need to have the whole group wait. You can throw out a blanket and have one person hold the spot.

I am not sure you are going to be able get a solid yes or no answer. With a four day trip you should have plenty of time to ride all the rides. Even with naps. So with four days I would say for sure do WOC. If you had only two days I would say WOC may not be worth it. My co-worker had three days.

But other people may give different advice because it is not clear cut.

Good luck!

:wizard:

I am by no means an expert. We went in Oct 2010, DS was 5.5 and DD was 2.5. We got our FP early in the morning and ended up in the red section. DD HATED woc and cried most of the way through it. It was difficult for her to see and she kept getting wet from the mist. DS also could not see too well, DH tried to hold him for much of the show. He was not overly interested in it and was frightened in a few spots. He too, did not like the mist. I was super excited to see woc, but the whole experience did not meet my expectations :sad1:

I would spend the extra time doing what the little ones want to do, makes for a happier family all around. :thumbsup2

Enjoy your trip!

Depends on your kids... I took my son 6 and friends niece 9 last year . We ended up leaving half was through, both were tired and couldnt sit so complained about sore feet.. as we were leaving we hit a few more rides and they perked right up..

This year we asked them if they wanted to try again and we got a very loud NO..

some kids will do fine with this and others wont... you know your children..

when we go back next year we may try it again.. but who knows..

Have fun..

When my kids were that age they would have preferred rides to a long wait and then a show. If I were you I would just walk by the back when it was going on and get a taste of what the show is like from the area near the Mermaid ride. Good luck with your decision!

I took my son when he was 3 and I clearly state that while he liked the idea - he could not see well enough to care. Unless you are on the fence and elevated the show is very difficult for a short person to see through all the tall people. It was not worth the wait in my opinion for him.

I have seen the show and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, the last 2 trips we found our spot and DD4 ( at the time) fell asleep waiting for the show! :rotfl: We are going to try again this year, crossing fingers that she can stay awake! Is it a must see for this age group? I wouldn't break my neck to get them there. If you can fit it into your schedule then...:thumbsup2

My DS 6 loved it but DS 3 hated it. He cried and screamed throughout the whole thing. We were stuck in the middle so there was no way out. We called it 'World of Terror' for him. He'll be 5 for our next trip and will probably enjoy it now. I guess you have to know how your kids will do with loud music.

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. We decided to forego WOC for a relaxing dinner and fun rides! We'll plan on WOC for a future trip when they are a bit older and more appreciative of an expensive dinner and long wait. Mahalo nui loa!

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. We decided to forego WOC for a relaxing dinner and fun rides! We'll plan on WOC for a future trip when they are a bit older and more appreciative of an expensive dinner and long wait. Mahalo nui loa!

Am late on this one but I agree with your decision. My 5 year old at the time was so tired from the fun he had all day he slept through it. So different then fantasmic. He loved that!

If I were you I would just walk by the back when it was going on and get a taste of what the show is like from the area near the Mermaid ride. Good luck with your decision!

We actually did this on our trip and LOVED watching it from here. We watched the early show on the railing on the bridge. It was an unobstructed view and was great from there. On our way out of the park, the show was going on and we sat on the ramp of the Little Mermaid Ride. We thought that the view was better here than even on the bridge.

Next week will be DD (3) second trip to DL. When she was 2 we waited for both F! and WOC on back to back nights and both nights DD fell asleep in her stroller 30 min or less before show time. We stayed and watched the show but DD slept through both even with how loud the shows are. We are hoping this year she will be able to stay awake and are planning mid afternoon breaks to help that happen. I know DD will love both shows if she can stay awake long enough to see them.

Everyone is different but I think it's very worth it to see the shows if your kids can handle the wait and staying up late.

Also late response. Also think it depends on your child. We are here now and went to both Fantasmic and WOC. My 4-year-old really enjoyed Fantasmic while he was not interested in WOC at all. We actually left WOC with a few minutes to spare to avoid the big crowd back to the hotel. We had the dessert package for Fantasmic so no waiting. We waited 30 minutes for WOC with still a decent view - just sat on the ground and waited. Unless my son really wanted to go to WOC in the future, we will skip it but I would see Fantasmic all over again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter