• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

World of Color Superthread

There is a handicap area. I saw it yesday while looking at the map. I'll see if I can find it. If you don't do the picnic then you have to get a FP. The picnic is good because you don't have to go get the fast pass becuase it comes with one. Plus the picnic price is pretty decent considering its DL. You can't do the handicap area if you don't have a FP I would assume :(

*edit* the map is a few post in front of yours lol
Yes, I saw the map... but it only shows a handicap area for FP not for the picnic area. Do you know if there is a handicap area in the Picnic area? Or would the best "seats" we could get be in the regular fastpass handicap area.

Yes, I saw the map... but it only shows a handicap area for FP not for the picnic area. Do you know if there is a handicap area in the Picnic area? Or would the best "seats" we could get be in the regular fastpass handicap area.

From what I thought, and I could be wrong.. you pick up your picnic meal and eat it where ever you want in the park. You would come back later for the show.

There is no picnic area. There is a picnic offer which includes a FP to the show. Either blue section or yellow.

We are going to be in the parks 2/26-3-4 and I we have to see WOC either 2/26 or 2/27 because it's not showing in March. Most likely we will see the 9:15pm show since I hear it should be less crowded.
:confused3 The Disney calendar says WOC will play at 8:15PM March 1-3, and it appears twice nightly on the weekend (at the moment it appears they have typos on the schedule although they do say the shows start at 8 and 9:15). That is what the OP says:

When is World of Color?

Here is a link to the DLR entertainment schedule. Opened in June 2010, the first summer WOC showed three times a night at 9:00, 10:15 and 11:15. DCA hours were extended to 11PM each night.

Now that we are into 2011 and can look back over the half-year, Disney is using the following basic schedule:

o High-Season and Weekends (Fri/Sat/Sun) Year Round - twice nightly at 9:00 and 10:15 (some winter nights it shows at 8:00 and 9:15) - DCA often closes at 10PM on these nights but the second show still runs

o Off-Season Weeknights (Mon-Thurs) - 8:15 - DCA often closes at 8PM on these nights but the show still runs

Again, use the above as a guide far in advance but check the DLR calendar for actual schedules as the dates gets closer.

Note that when DL and DCA "close" that does not mean everyone is forced to leave by that time. The parks actually stay open at least one hour extra for shopping (even when there are no shows like WOC). The rides keep running for everyone in line but the queues are closed. The restaurants which are still open keep serving but stop taking new customers. Guests are still in the parks for at least an hour.

I've looked at the reserved dining deals and while the idea is great, the food leaves something to be desired. No one in my family will eat anything listed and why pay for dinner and a show if you're not going to eat the dinner, right? So that's out...
Most people have had good reports of the WOC preferred viewing dining package food, including us. Ariel's Grotto had delicious food. With tri-tip steak, pasta, fish, chicken and lobster, if "no one in your family will eat anything listed", what do you eat?

By all means skip the preferred dining approach, but I think it is a serious mistake to do it because of perceived poor quality food.

So if I'm reading all this correctly, then I need to get my rear in gear and head to DCA 1st thing for a Fastpass. I've heard talk that DCA does a soft opening 30 mins prior to actual listed opening time, is this true? We will NOT be staying at GCH or eating breakfast their or anything of that nature...So if I heard correctly, I can get into DCA at 9:30am (even though opening time is 10a,) get in the Fastpass line at GRR and then I should be good, right?
You do not have to trust on having heard anything correctly as if it is all rumor. The OP clearly states:

When do the World of Color (GRR) FASTPASS machines open?

o Year round DCA opens officially at 10AM.

o For many years DCA has opened every day unofficially at 9:30AM. Never has Disney published this, but it is a well known fact and it is available to all guests - offsite, onsite or day trippers. During the first 30 minutes only one ride is open - Soarin' Over California. And the Soarin' FP machines are open. Since WOC opened in June 2010 DCA has also offered WOC FPs during this first 30 minutes.

o For guests staying at the DLR hotels DCA allows entry at 9AM to get WOC FPs. This is available through the special entrance to DCA through the GCH. Each guest must show proof of being a DLR hotel guest - namely a room key. This perk is also available to those who eat breakfast at one of the GCH restaurants but are not DLR hotel guests. They must show a receipt for their meal.
So yes, as the second bullet states, you can get into DCA at 9:30AM and get FPs.

Does the FP list a colored section that you have to sit in? If not, where are THE best locations??
This question is answered in the link given repeatedly in the OP by S. S. Columbia:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501719

I've looked at the map here on this thread and I'm confused...does each section have tiers/steps that allow for more elevated viewing? Or is it pretty much all flat like for Fantasmic?
Again, from the OP...

Where is World of Color?

World of Color shows at Disney's California Adventure (DCA) in the Paradise Pier lagoon also known as Paradise Bay. It is designed to be viewed from Paradise Park - a specially designed, terraced viewing area. An excellent post by S. S. Columbia compiles a lot of WOC information including best viewing spots.

Also, since we would probably be seeing the later show, how does the process of lining up work? And where do you line up exactly? Did I read correctly that each colored section has it's own separate que??
That one is not answered in the OP for the simple reason that it keeps changing. It depends on whether you are going to the first or second show and which color FP you have. The first shows tends to line up near the red tower at the far right of the photo linked in the OP:

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/ParadisePark_By_Daniel_K_Lew.jpg

and also has a line at the far left for the red section - which may change because of the construction walls.

The second show tends to line up at any number of places, which also will change virtually daily because of all the construction walls.

The best bet is to ask once you are actually there so you can correct information on your specific day.

I am SO totally lost and just a bit overwhelmed! Please tell me where a family of 3, with a young child should go for the best viewing spots. We won't have any disabled folks in our party, we won't be doing the dining/picnic option and we don't mind waiting in line or getting wet while watching the show.
The S. S. Columbia link tells you this. With numbers, colors and maps:

If you can't picture it with this then I do not know what else to do. You may need to just print it out and when you get there do what I did...walk down there during the day when it is empty and scout it out.

Also, if you are really nervous, think about going to WOC on a previous night without a ticket and asking all these questions of the CMs there and watching what happens. That will be by far the best answer to your question outside of the maps and information provided in the OP.

Is it me or does this whole process just seem WAY more complicated then it needs to be?!? Any advice helps!:goodvibes
World of Color is a new show with a limited viewing area and sustained high demand. I am not saying it is easy (not much at DLR is) but pretty much between the OP, the links in the OP to the Disney website information and the link in the OP to S. S. Columbia's viewing chart thread, you really have everything you need.

- When to get your FP
- How to get your FP
- When to return
- Where to stand to view the show

People have done a lot of work to compile this information to make it as simple as possible. I hope it works out for you.

I'm considering getting picnic lunches for my family so we can easily get FPs to the WOC. My DH and I have 4 kids 10 and under, but plan on being in line early to get good spots.

Which FP color is more desirable (blue or yellow FP) in terms of chances for getting a good "against the railing" spot? From the maps I've looked at, it seems that the yellow area has more options for good viewing?

Is there any part of the blue area that is up against the front rails? Like the wet zone areas for the yellow and red FPs? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a blue wet zone? We wouldn't mind getting wet.

I really don't want to splurge on preferred seating if I feel like we have a chance to get good viewing spots otherwise. :) Any opinions are appreciated.

I'm considering getting picnic lunches for my family so we can easily get FPs to the WOC. My DH and I have 4 kids 10 and under, but plan on being in line early to get good spots.

Which FP color is more desirable (blue or yellow FP) in terms of chances for getting a good "against the railing" spot? From the maps I've looked at, it seems that the yellow area has more options for good viewing?

Is there any part of the blue area that is up against the front rails? Like the wet zone areas for the yellow and red FPs? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a blue wet zone? We wouldn't mind getting wet.

I really don't want to splurge on preferred seating if I feel like we have a chance to get good viewing spots otherwise. :) Any opinions are appreciated.
Surprisingly there is little agreement on this. I personally have seen the show from each color section and the preferred viewing section. There is so much variability within each section it is hard to answer. I think one thing everyone would agree on is that each color section has good viewing spots, and those are more desirable than a poor viewing spot in a different color section.

1. One question you could ask that might have more consensus or possibly have more ability to answer consistently is:

"Comparing the best spots in each colored section, which color is best?"

2. Another question that might get a different answer is:

"Which color section offers more numerous good viewing spots?"

3. And finally another different but good question:

"Which section is easiest to get a good viewing spot?"

As if that is not enough, other wrinkles are:

Do you have kids?

How tall are you?

Are you willing to spend money on the dining package?

Do you care about getting wet?

Are you willing to arrive extra early?

To question #1 my opinion is the preferred viewing spot at the front rail is the best overall spot. It is considered a wet zone. The best non-paid spot is the red section front rail - definitely right in the wet zone.

Note that the wet zone does not mean you will get wet. It means you may. Both times for me in the wet zone I barely got wet.

To question #2 my opinion is the yellow section has the most numerous good viewing spots followed closely by blue.

To question #3 my opinion is that red section offers the easiest way to get a good viewing spot - for the simple reason that most people do not seem to know they should or can go down into the front dead center wet zone.

HTH :wizard:

The red wet zone does look like a great spot! I guess the only way to get red FPs, though, is to wait until later in the morning to get FPs from the GRR machine. Am I right? Thanks for your insights HydroGuy!

:confused3 The Disney calendar says WOC will play at 8:15PM March 1-3, and it appears twice nightly on the weekend (at the moment it appears they have typos on the schedule although they do say the shows start at 8 and 9:15). That is what the OP says:

When I originally started looking at the Disney calendar, WOC wasn't listed at all. I thought it strange that the end of Feb had plenty of shows/events listed but only hours/rehabs for the 1st week of March. Thank goodness that has since changed.

Most people have had good reports of the WOC preferred viewing dining package food, including us. Ariel's Grotto had delicious food. With tri-tip steak, pasta, fish, chicken and lobster, if "no one in your family will eat anything listed", what do you eat?

By all means skip the preferred dining approach, but I think it is a serious mistake to do it because of perceived poor quality food.

Hmm...don't think I mentioned anything about "poor quality food". Just that its not something anyone in my family would eat.

You do not have to trust on having heard anything correctly as if it is all rumor. The OP clearly states:

So yes, as the second bullet states, you can get into DCA at 9:30AM and get FPs.

This question is answered in the link given repeatedly in the OP by S. S. Columbia:

Just wanted to make sure that I read this correctly. When reading through 7+ pages of WOC info (for those of us NOT in the know as you are) it can be a bit overwhelming. And with all the extra info out on all the other boards/websites, it is indeed a "flood" of info and not all of it correct. The last thing I would want to happen was to get to DCA at 9:15 to line up for a 9:30 "unofficial" opening, only to find out that I read the info wrong....I'm sure folks can understand that.;) Didn't mean to upset anyone by asking again.

Again, from the OP...

That one is not answered in the OP for the simple reason that it keeps changing. It depends on whether you are going to the first or second show and which color FP you have. The first shows tends to line up near the red tower at the far right of the photo linked in the OP:

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/ParadisePark_By_Daniel_K_Lew.jpg

and also has a line at the far left for the red section - which may change because of the construction walls.

The second show tends to line up at any number of places, which also will change virtually daily because of all the construction walls.

The best bet is to ask once you are actually there so you can correct information on your specific day. Thank you for the most helpful info! I will definately ask, since we will probably do the 2nd show if we can.

The S. S. Columbia link tells you this. With numbers, colors and maps:

If you can't picture it with this then I do not know what else to do. You may need to just print it out and when you get there do what I did...walk down there during the day when it is empty and scout it out.

That's a great idea! Maybe by simply having the map in my hot little hands, I will be able to picture it more clearly. I think what has thrown me a bit is that I orginally saw a map with a different viewing area that didn't require a FP. Then I've read other folks reports on where they thought the best viewing areas were and it seems that each person had a different account.
I think what I may do is after getting my FP, walk around the viewing area to scout the best spots. Did I read correctly, that if you wait until a certain time of day, you can get a different color FP?? Or is it just luck of the draw?:confused3

Also, if you are really nervous, think about going to WOC on a previous night without a ticket and asking all these questions of the CMs there and watching what happens. That will be by far the best answer to your question outside of the maps and information provided in the OP.

World of Color is a new show with a limited viewing area and sustained high demand. I am not saying it is easy (not much at DLR is) but pretty much between the OP, the links in the OP to the Disney website information and the link in the OP to S. S. Columbia's viewing chart thread, you really have everything you need.

- When to get your FP
- How to get your FP
- When to return
- Where to stand to view the show

People have done a lot of work to compile this information to make it as simple as possible. I hope it works out for you.
I hope so too!:thumbsup2

The red wet zone does look like a great spot! I guess the only way to get red FPs, though, is to wait until later in the morning to get FPs from the GRR machine. Am I right? Thanks for your insights HydroGuy!

Yes, yes...I want to know the answer to this too!:thumbsup2

Would this mean that by waiting until certain times of the day....you can control the color FP you get??

Yes, yes...I want to know the answer to this too!:thumbsup2

Would this mean that by waiting until certain times of the day....you can control the color FP you get??

wet zone is a little to close for my taste imo...
I think it really goes by preference. Ive seen it from the blue perferred dining section.

I personally would like to see it again from the bridge going up towards Ariels Grotto. I think that area is the best seats...

That is what I did. The first time I came by the FP machines they were giving out blue. I came back later and it was yellow. Then I came back one more time and it was red. So I got one. Unless you are happy with blue FPs given out first, the only way for this stratgy I used to be practical is to plan to spend the morning in DCA somewhere near the FP machines on that side of the park.

:wizard:

That is what I did. The first time I came by the FP machines they were giving out blue. I came back later and it was yellow. Then I came back one more time and it was red. So I got one. Unless you are happy with blue FPs given out first, the only way for this stratgy I used to be practical is to plan to spend the morning in DCA somewhere near the FP machines on that side of the park.

:wizard:

Hydroguy...do you happen to remember about what time you were able to get the red FP?

I was planning on heading straight to DCA and the WOC FP lines, but now maybe I'm thinking I should wait?:confused3

im small an my son is small for his age we are doing the picnic is there a better time to line up if we got there early enough should we try to get to the closest front that we can get to? it will be winter time an tho I think we may get cold we dont care bout splash zone. we will get a little wet if its better seats.

im small an my son is small for his age we are doing the picnic is there a better time to line up if we got there early enough should we try to get to the closest front that we can get to? it will be winter time an tho I think we may get cold we dont care bout splash zone. we will get a little wet if its better seats.

The key in any color is not getting there first. It's is viewing from the rail in the front of each tier. The way you or you DS is not blocked by taller people.

The worst area is RED, because a lot of that area has diffuculty seeing the forward screens. Yellow, preferred and blue all have good views if you can see over the people in front of you.

The key in any color is not getting there first. It's is viewing from the rail in the front of each tier. The way you or you DS is not blocked by taller people.

The worst area is RED, because a lot of that area has diffuculty seeing the forward screens. Yellow, preferred and blue all have good views if you can see over the people in front of you.

Ok....just when I think I've figured out the best colored section, I hear something like this!;)

Seems to me that each color has it's good viewing spots and it's bad. So no matter what color you get, you should be able to find a good spot in it, right? There's not a color out there that the ENTIRE section is bad, correct??

Hi! We are doing the Ariel's Grotto dinner next Thursday (1/27), so we'll have the Preferred Dining seating for the 8:15 show (the only one that day). My plan is to stand in the area marked "BEST" on Disneyland_1951's map (right in front of VIP). I will have my 5 year old son with me. If we are in the front of the BEST section, will he be able to see? He's an average size for a 5 year old...about 45 or 46 inches tall.

Hi! We are doing the Ariel's Grotto dinner next Thursday (1/27), so we'll have the Preferred Dining seating for the 8:15 show (the only one that day). My plan is to stand in the area marked "BEST" on Disneyland_1951's map (right in front of VIP). I will have my 5 year old son with me. If we are in the front of the BEST section, will he be able to see? He's an average size for a 5 year old...about 45 or 46 inches tall.

The problem with the BEST spot is it may not exist. On this thread Disneyland 1951 who made the map reported the Blue HA area moved into it.

"NOTE: They have made some recent changes: The section labeled "BEST" on my original map is now a handicapped section. This reduces the Preferred Dining a lot, and makes it much less worth the extra money, unless you are one of the very first to line up and rush to the front."

For you son's case it's going depend on if he is behind people or not. Rails privide a front of tier view. In the PD section the top of the stairs should work too, this is next to the BEST area.

Ok....just when I think I've figured out the best colored section, I hear something like this!;)

Seems to me that each color has it's good viewing spots and it's bad. So no matter what color you get, you should be able to find a good spot in it, right? There's not a color out there that the ENTIRE section is bad, correct??
Read my post #126 from today...

Surprisingly there is little agreement on this. I personally have seen the show from each color section and the preferred viewing section. There is so much variability within each section it is hard to answer. I think one thing everyone would agree on is that each color section has good viewing spots, and those are more desirable than a poor viewing spot in a different color section.

1. One question you could ask that might have more consensus or possibly have more ability to answer consistently is:

"Comparing the best spots in each colored section, which color is best?"

2. Another question that might get a different answer is:

"Which color section offers more numerous good viewing spots?"

3. And finally another different but good question:

"Which section is easiest to get a good viewing spot?"

As if that is not enough, other wrinkles are:

Do you have kids?

How tall are you?

Are you willing to spend money on the dining package?

Do you care about getting wet?

Are you willing to arrive extra early?

To question #1 my opinion is the preferred viewing spot at the front rail is the best overall spot. It is considered a wet zone. The best non-paid spot is the red section front rail - definitely right in the wet zone.

Note that the wet zone does not mean you will get wet. It means you may. Both times for me in the wet zone I barely got wet.

To question #2 my opinion is the yellow section has the most numerous good viewing spots followed closely by blue.

To question #3 my opinion is that red section offers the easiest way to get a good viewing spot - for the simple reason that most people do not seem to know they should or can go down into the front dead center wet zone.

HTH :wizard:

Hydroguy...do you happen to remember about what time you were able to get the red FP?

I was planning on heading straight to DCA and the WOC FP lines, but now maybe I'm thinking I should wait?:confused3
It does not really matter because it can change day to day. In my case it was a Sunday in September right after Halloweentime started. I got my red FP at about 10:45AM for the first show and the wait was less than one minute to get the FP.

We are going to Disneyland resort early February, I was just wondering do they still allow guests staying at a DLR hotel to get in early for a WOC fastpass? I can't find anything on the website mentioning that perk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter