World of Color - Seating?

SherriA1

Mouseketeer
Hello!

In the summer of 2010, my husband and I went to Disneyland and did a dinner package to see World of Color. I remember it as only having standing room--no seating available. This summer my parents are coming with us on our Disneyland trip, and although my dad should be able to walk around the parks just fine, he has trouble standing for long periods. Will there be any option for him to sit during World of Color (and during the waiting period before it starts)?

Thanks,
Amanda

Hello!

In the summer of 2010, my husband and I went to Disneyland and did a dinner package to see World of Color. I remember it as only having standing room--no seating available. This summer my parents are coming with us on our Disneyland trip, and although my dad should be able to walk around the parks just fine, he has trouble standing for long periods. Will there be any option for him to sit during World of Color (and during the waiting period before it starts)?

Thanks,
Amanda

The only seating that is available is for handicapped. You either need some sort of visible aid (wheelchair, cane, ECV) OR a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to access the handicapped areas. You also need a FP to enter this area as well and each color has a handicapped area with benches. Only the person in need of assistance is allowed to sit and the rest of your party may stand behind. However, if there is extra room, once the show starts the rest of your party may sit on the benches. (But only if there is room)

As far as sitting while waiting in line, there are no seats available. I would rent a wheelchair for that evening if possible. That way you will have a seat and won't have to deal with the benches either. In my experience, either you have a CM that really patrols and only allows the handicapped person to sit, or you get a CM that doesn't patrol at all and entire families sit down on the benches leaving little room for others. If you have a wheelchair, you can wheel right up to the railing and have a good view. Have fun! :goodvibes

I went to see WOC in summer 2010.. I'm young, but even I got tired standing ( think we were there 1 or 2 hours before..)
Last December i was visiting DL and DCA together with my mom and 80-year old grandmom. She is in a wheelchair and about 30 minutes before showtime, we came to the yellow section And my mom and I could sit on a bench next to grandma!
It might be different, because your dad walks, but i'm almost certain that you can ask a cm and get bench seat :D Think the benches is both for the elder and families with a handicapped person.
The view was not the best - but it was fine and we were all happy about it!

Maybe others know more about it..

EDIT: ArchOwls reply weren't there when i pressed reply.. Sorry ;)

The only seating that is available is for handicapped. You either need some sort of visible aid (wheelchair, cane, ECV) OR a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to access the handicapped areas. You also need a FP to enter this area as well and each color has a handicapped area with benches. Only the person in need of assistance is allowed to sit and the rest of your party may stand behind. However, if there is extra room, once the show starts the rest of your party may sit on the benches. (But only if there is room)

As far as sitting while waiting in line, there are no seats available. I would rent a wheelchair for that evening if possible. That way you will have a seat and won't have to deal with the benches either. In my experience, either you have a CM that really patrols and only allows the handicapped person to sit, or you get a CM that doesn't patrol at all and entire families sit down on the benches leaving little room for others. If you have a wheelchair, you can wheel right up to the railing and have a good view. Have fun! :goodvibes

I would suggest something along these lines.

Get a GAC in case DD gets worn out. Consider a wheel chair or ECV, though some are sort of embarressed to admit they need one, so the GAC may be a better alternative to allow less standing later in the day.

Think the benches is both for the elder and families with a handicapped person.
Usually, the CMs will ask the remaining family members to stand behind their family member and not to use the benches until after the show starts to make sure there is room for all that actually need seats. There are very limited seats, and quite honestly, the view from the bench seats is often blocked.

Disney's solution for mobility issues/people who can't stand for long periods is to suggest they rent an ECV or wheelchair. So if he is willing I'd definitely go for the wheelchair. He will be able to view the show from anywhere in the viewing area.

If he absolutely won't/can't do that, then a GAC should get him access to the benches. But bringing your own chair is the better way to do it.

The GAC did get my wife and I into the HC seating area but only guaranteed me a seat. Had there been others needing those seats a CM would have asked her to give up her seat. Also, although that area is centered, it is in the back. Parents with children on their shoulders will block your view.

We went to WOC in June 2011. Grandpa had a motorized scooter and my son is in a wheelchair. When we got the disabled seating area a large family was there with one person in a rented scooter. The family took over the 3 benches and refused to move for anyone. One of the Guest Services came over and very polited mentioned to the family that the benches were for the disabled guests and those with GAC passes. They finally moved. This wasn't a problem for us because my son has a small chair and was able to sit up around the front of the area without blocking any views and we just sat on the ground behind him. Just be prepared to sit in and around others.
Although those sitting ont he benches may not have the best view, Grandpa never complained and loved the show.

I was able to sit on a planter while waiting for the rope to drop, for at least an hour. After I rushed down to the viewing area, I parked my keister on the pavement until the show started, as did all the folks around me. Can you take a stadium seating type backback for him? They're pretty easy to come by and a small price to pay for comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter