World of Color Disneyland / Disabled access

loliepop

Disney's my middle name...really...it's on my lice
Have any challenged guinea pigs attended World of Color? We're going on July 8th (thursday) I'll be in my wheelchair & crutch and my DD w/fibro will be in chair when needed. I'm trying to decide if ordering a picnic meal will put us in a different section then the GAC section? DD can't stand the 3 or so hours I assume lining up and viewing will take. If someone has done it can they lay out where they lined up? Being redirected 20 times when there in a crowd will waste precious precious energy.
:confused3

I am working on figuring out how this works. I know you get passes for certain areas, but I am not sure how it works for wheelchairs or disabilities works within those areas.

If no one here knows, I'll see if my MIL can find out for me (she is a CM at DL)

I'm hoping someone knows, I've emailed disney several times w/no response, which isn't like them at all. I'm afraid calling Guest Services may not give me a consistent response, I've read some CM's are point GAC to Preferred viewing but I don't know if they're requiring a package purchase. I REALLY don't want to spend preferred viewing cash for the same kosher meal I can get through picnic, and would prefer to avoid picnic if poss-

I decided to post this in a new thread so key words would pop up in a search.
Disneyland Guest Relations took a week to get back to me which is highly unusual. Here is their response, it does conflict with other info.:confused3 posted in the official blog

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Guest Assistance Cards will not be honored (they are for Attraction
assistance), but Guests with special needs will be accommodated to the
best of our ability on a case-by-case basis. There is no designated
section -- all sections have accommodation.

I just CALLED DL Guest Services and Rolland (if names help) stated that arriving near FP time will be early enough, we'll be pulled from line and CM will lead us "pretty much ensuring a bench"

I see some disers posts where it all worked out for them, I'm still nervous because my daughter w/fibro can't line up for hours waiting then stand for the show especially after a full day, we may go on our first day july 6th, because we'll only be in the park from 5pm on.

Hi, I've read the threads providing info, thanks to those who have posted the info you have learned :) .

I'm wondering if anyone reading has experienced the show with a disability or with a group member who required assistance? What was it like? Was it chaotic? What do's and don'ts would you recommend?

My mother has MS and travels in a scooter, and my dad has temporary nerve damage in a leg due to a medical procedure and is using crutches, we will be visiting the resort in July and I'm not looking forward to trying to see the show!

Is it pointless to try and see the show if you do not have a Fast Pass? Thanks for any info!

I think it's a little early to get good feedback, but it will come with time.

The Disneyland board, here has a few posts with those with disabilities who have done the show and posted; so, you can learn a little bit that way for now.

There are 2 other current threads on the board discussing the World of Color (unfortunatly, not with much information yet). To make it easier to find the information when it does get posted, I am combining all the threads into one thread and I will go to the Disneyland Board to see what other information I am able to find to link here.

This is a collection of the current threads on the Disneyland Board about Disneyland's World of Color and disability access.
This way, if those threads get updated, we will have access to the information here too.

Link to Disneyland Board World of Color disability information thread started 6/20/2010

Link to World of Color for wheelchairs thread on Disneyland Board started 6/18/2010

Link to World of Color dining thread on Disneyland Board started 6/15/2010

Link to Disneyland Board thread on World of Color - not specifically about disabilities, but includes link to blog about World of Color started 6/13/2010.

Thanks everyone for their insight!
I did have a follow up question that I didn't see an answer to in some of the other threads, forgive me if I missed it.....

What about those non-mobility related disabilities? Such as austism? Will the WOC follow GAC like the people at Fantasmic do?

Thanks!

There is another Disney discussion board which I am with a forum somewhat similar to disABILITES, but usually less traffic in a month than we have in a day. They have this thread which discusses disabled access to WoC, inclding some photo-maps of locations.

We went last night, 10/20, and I felt that area they have designated for "blue" is horrible. The space is so small and by the time that seated people there was no were for my mom to be placed so she would be behind people standing behind wheelchairs. As far as I am concerned they need to do something about people that "need" to be in wheelchairs and people who "choose" to. They also need to figure out the seating as everyone around the sections and people in the sections are standing. Luckily I pushed hard on some CM's and we were moved, but on the whole, I wouldn't of chose to sit there, but had to. I will do something else next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter