• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

World Cup 2014 - Who's excited for it?

Germany looks better, well not better than Messi, of course. The guy with the concussion was scary. The one foul on Germany- way high, spikes up-should have been a red card. I wish someone would score.

I agree that Germany looks better. I am not impressed by Messi tonight.
Argentina's goalkeeper is doing well though and Neuer seems really off his game (it pains me to say that; I normally think he is incredible).

and, yes, the one yellow card was very much deserved. The other was not at all. There was no foul at all there in replays.

Anticlimatic? A last moment goal in overtime, by a player who recently came on. Schweinsteiger toughing it out and continuing to play through after several incidents, including that more or less punch to the face that ought to have pulled a card against Argentina.
Did you see the same game I did? :confused3

In any case, Germany is undeafted in this cup, and the country is celebrating tonight :cool1:

Good goal; I was nervous it would go to a shootout. Congrats Germany!

Liked seeing the players of both teams heading up to greet the Brazilian president, German boss lady Angela Merkel, and the others. I would assume the Argentinian head honcho was there was well.

The actual trophy? Geez, how tacky. 18k gold or not, it looked cheap. Looked like a chocolate Easter Bunny wrapped in that crinkly gold foil. The replicas some fans in the crowd were holding looked better. :lmao:

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. I enjoyed it a lot. It's been a fun 30+ days.

Good goal; I was nervous it would go to a shootout. Congrats Germany!

Liked seeing the players of both teams heading up to greet the Brazilian president, German boss lady Angela Merkel, and the others. I would assume the Argentinian head honcho was there was well.

The actual trophy? Geez, how tacky. 18k gold or not, it looked cheap. Looked like a chocolate Easter Bunny wrapped in that crinkly gold foil. The replicas some fans in the crowd were holding looked better. :lmao:

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. I enjoyed it a lot. It's been a fun 30+ days.
I totally agree--we were saying it looks like Easter candy too :lmao:

and, yes, tahnks everyone for usch a fun thread--and for being nice to us newer and more casual fans who do not know the ins and and outs of the game as well as some of you long time players and coaches :goodvibes

Congratulations to Germany!

I was rooting for Argentina, but I'm OK with Germany winning.

Poor Messi. You could tell he was devastated

I want Germany (obviously :rotfl: ) and if we win 1-0 (my guess) or 2-1 (DH's) we can take back our grocery store receipts from this weekend and get all our money back on the one that had that guess--which is a pretty fun promotion, IMO. (the store recorded our guesses so we can't change them of course)

You guessed right! That sounds like a pretty good prize (depending, of course, oh how much you spent)

You guessed right! That sounds like a pretty good prize (depending, of course, oh how much you spent)

84 Euro--we were just buying drinks for a work BBQ next week--but still a nice prize :goodvibes It should cover the shirts DS and I will want to buy now ;) :rotfl:

Geez, what were you looking for?

Well it was a 0-0 game up until the 113th minute. So perhaps some additional scoring would have been nice. The way Argentina was shooting they could have played for 300 minutes and still not had one in the back of the net.

What's the mood and atmosphere like in Germany today, NHdisneylover?

Surprisingly mellow, actually. Last night, here in our little town outside Heidelberg, there were 20 or so decent sized fireworks that people set off (they are not legal, except on New Year's Eve, so I have a feeling that was all people had).

We walked around and a lot of people were still riveted to watching post game interviews at the Public Viewing areas.

A lot of others were driving around honking horns, waving flags out the windows and cheering, and others lined the main streets to wave flags and cheer back at them. We joined in for about half an hour, then came home. I was up another 2 hours (until about 2) and the honking and cheering was just about as loud as I fell asleep as it had been previously. I have no idea how much longer it lasted.

I took DS out to McDs for breakfast (he loves it for some reason) and there were a bunch of 20 somethings who clearly had been up all night celebrating coming in to load up on coffee and splash water on their faces in the bathroom on their way into work--but none seemed totally destroyed.

Both DH and DS said everyone was on time for work and school and not hungover (drinking age is 16, so some of the students could have been).

There is a lot of "our guys played well; we're proud of them" but not a lot of over the top zealous or super excited stuff going on.

The morning drive DJ on the hip hop station DS likes did play Don't Cry for Me Argentina this morning though, which made me giggle.

The morning drive DJ on the hip hop station DS likes did play Don't Cry for Me Argentina this morning though, which made me giggle.

I watched the game with friends at a sports bar and as soon as the game was over the DJ played that song! Gave me a chuckle. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter