"Working your way through college"

Man, I just don't think it's do-able anymore. We (dh and I) graduated in 88 from a state school. Back then tuition and rent were right about $4000 a year. I worked at Kings Dominion during spring/summer/fall. I made $11000 gross there a year. Because it was a seasonal job, they didn't have to pay overtime, so you were able to work lots over 40 hrs a week. In the summer, I'd work 60-80 hrs. Then I'd pick up a job delivering papers in the school year. Plus 20-30 hrs a week doing fast food cashier, or retail. I was able to buy a car, and have plenty left over for incidentals.

I do feel like I missed out on a lot of campus activities. But I graduated debt-free. As the oldest of 6 kids, this was really important and helpful. As I said, I just don't think it's do-able now. Which sucks. Tuition goes up every year. Nobody I know gets a raise at the same percentage. College has just become a complete racket.

It isn't fun. I'm blessed and grateful that I didn't have to do it, thanks to a fantastic college financial aid policy, but I literally feel so strongly about paying for college for my kids that my DH and I contribute to a 529 every month, and we don't have kids yet, with none on the immediate horizon.

"But Dana, it's the kids who work like slaves at minimum wage to get through college who really APPRECIATE it."

Not true. The brutal truth is that you can tell which kids are going to graduate from college on time by the time they're in 9th or 10th grade. You can look at your kid's friends now and tell. The kids with internal fire and drive and inquisitiveness succeed. The kids who don't, don't. It has remarkably little to do with how tuition is paid, though there is a correlation between family income and graduation rates, and that probably speaks to a correlation between expectations ("it's not if you're going ... it's where") and the education levels and jobs of the parents.

"But Dana, the kids whose parents just paid for everything all turned into massive alcoholic slackers who failed out of their pottery major."

Not true. The college I went to has about 2,500 kids who qualify for no financial aid whatsoever, with annual tuition, mandatory room/board and fees exceeding $50,000. The university's four-year graduation rate is 97%.

"But Dana, it's just not achievable for most people to pay for this anymore."

Maybe. Maybe not. We're not going to sell and upgrade from this house, which I would love - LOVE - to do - I have fantasies of living on a golf course and getting enough bedrooms to host family Christmas - we could totally afford to do it, but we stay put. We could totally take a year off and travel the world, but we both work extra freelance jobs instead. We drive used Hyundais. We put off kids. We don't get pets so we don't have to worry about working late at night and weekends, whenever we need to. And we invest in the 529s. These are our choices. Others make the choices that are right for them. But I will be * sure that when college time comes, and when its time to launch my kids into the world, tuition will be there, and they will have a tsunami of advantages as their tailwind.

Thanks for fantastic post, Dana!!! Many of the "truisms" (especially about appreciation) that you refer to have little basis in fact, but people spout them all the time. Both of my kids are very appreciative of what we've done to help them with their educations, it was a team effort.
In 6 years my daughter finished her undergrad degree and law school. She wouldn't have been any better off dragging out her education for a few more years. Actually, the school costs just mount. Who really wants to pay 3 extra years of assorted fees, (and there are a ton of them every semester). Lingering through your twenties taking less than 12 hours a semester isn't character building. It's hard work, and you end up "contributing" far more cash overall to the college that you would have if you had zipped through rapidly.
In the end, though, I wish more parents of elementary and middle school kids would educate themselves about the FAFSA. Most public universities require it to be filled out...it's not an option. And any financial aid comes in the form of a PACKAGE. For most middle income folks, the package includes a parental contribution. (Either cash or PLUS loans.) They don't offer extra aid just because a student's parent finds their EFC annoying or "non-character building.".
Decline the package, your conditional acceptance is rescinded. (Unless you're paying cash in full in about 30 days.) They will just offer a place to the next student who applied.

All the minimum wage math is eye opening but assumes that you work for minimum wage while in college. I found it easier to take a couple of years off and work my way up in a company to a better paying job made it a lot easier. Then, when I went back to school, my pay was high enough that I was able to do what I described in my previous post. I owned a car, paid all of my expenses other than rent (I lived with my grandma and great grandma and helped them around the house with things) and managed to pay my way through college.

It wasn't only financially better for me to wait a couple of years. I was able to work in the field I was going to major in to make sure it was really how I wanted to spend the rest of my working life. I also built up a resume of actual work experience that is more helpful than unrelated summer work. Lastly, the company I worked for ended up offering me my first degreed job after I was done.

I'm not saying that it will work for everyone but if you are determined to buck the trend and try to get through school without debt there is no reason to not to buck the trend of going right to college from high school.

Just my opinion.

I really don't think it's possible today.

I've done the math...the minimum wage I would have worked for in the 70s was $3.60 per hour.
In 1979, the minimum wage I earned as a cashier at a huge supermarket was $2.10.

found it easier to take a couple of years off and work my way up in a company to a better paying job made it a lot easier. Then, when I went back to school, my pay was high enough
Wow, without a college education you were able work your way up to a well-paying job? What field of work was that?

2008 student, making today's minimum wage of $7.25/hour

According to this, a student could attend Ap-State for $9042/year or NC State for $12,157/year or UNC-Wilmington for $10,859 -- that's room, board, tuition -- all of these are fine schools, and I'd be pleased for my daughters to attend them.

What your post shows is that minimum wage and college costs vary widely by state. In Texas, the minimum wage is $6.40.

So, in NC, a student making 7.25 an hour working 1386 hours a year makes $10,048 - just shy of a year at UNC-Wilmington.

Stephen F. Austin State in Texas (not the most expensive state school in Texas by any means) costs $16,080 for next school year.
In Texas, a student making 6.40 an hour working 1386 hours makes $8,870...$830 more than one semester at SFA.

That's pretty remarkable when you think about it! I think people have the idea that state schools cost about the same in each state and that minimum wage is about the same in each state. Obviously this isn't the case! Of course, a high school kid has residency whereever his parents happen to have raised him or her, so this knowledge isn't all that helpful to the working student.

OK, I had to do the math myself.

We live near enough to Northern Illinois University for a student to commute. It's not a flashy school, but it's respectable enough to get you a job or a place at a decent grad school if you do well.

I ran the cost via their tuition calculator. Full time tuition and fees is $5100/semester. Add on another $600/semester for books and supplies and you get an annual total of $11,400. NIU locks in your tuition rate when you start--assuming you don't drop out, you'll pay the same rate all 4 years. So you're looking at a rough total of $45,600 for a degree.

I'm assuming you got a job your junior year in high school, working 20/hr a week during the year and 40/hr a week during the summer. I took a very conservative time estimate, leaving plenty of time for vacations/school obligations. So I calculated out at 1160 hours per year.

I estimated wages at $7/hour during high school. That's about what a fast food or retail gig pays around here, especially when you figure in that the kid would get a raise/promotion or two while they are working during high school.

After a 20% allowance for all taxes, that nets out roughly $6500/year, or a total of $13,000 during high school. Take out about 40% of that for various expenses, a modest used car, etc. So the kid leaves high school with a college account of $7800.

Once they get in college, they will need to work full time. If they're taking 3 classes per semester, there's plenty of time in the week for this and studying.

I'm also assuming that once you've gotten to college and have 2 years experience under your belt, you've either been promoted or found a more lucrative job. So I'm estimating up at $10/hour. That's a low estimate for a fast food or retail manager.

Working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year, you make $20,000/year. Again, take out 20% for taxes, though you should get quite a bit of that back through tuition write-offs. That leaves you $16,000 per year.

That, plus your savings, is more than enough to cover tuition/fees/books while in school while leaving you a savings cushion and money for expenses (gas, insurance, a bit of fun money).

I'm calculating this assuming parents are willing let the student live at home and that they can cover health insurance for the child. If those aren't available, the situation changes a bit, but still could be do-able.

Also, I'm not taking into account anything that could be done to lower college costs. The child could do to the local community college for the first two years and save at least $15,000 off the total cost of the degree.

The child could also take AP classes or a community college class or two while in high school to knock some time needed off the degree. You could easily cut a year off of your college degree by covering gen-ed classes that way.

I'm also ignoring any other sources of money--small scholarships, grants, generous grandparents, need-based aid from the school. Any of those could knock the total down. So could contributions from an employer program. Places like UPS have quite generous reimbursement, as do hospitals for nursing students.

Finally, federal student loans could take a chunk off the up-front costs. Assuming the kid is getting a reasonably practical degree and will be employable upon graduation, $10,000 in low interest student loans isn't going to kill them. The interest is deductable and the repayment terms are generous.

If the kid employed any of these saving strategies, they could probably even get away with working 30 hours/week during college instead of full time.

If someone doesn't want to do it, for whatever reason, that's their choice. But for a reasonably intelligent, motivated kid, it most certainly can be done.

One thing that is good for students to know is that many private schools are a lot more generous with merit and need based scholarships than state schools. A student shouldn't just assume that their State U will end up costing less.

Wow, without a college education you were able work your way up to a well-paying job? What field of work was that?

I was working for GE Capital as an Automated Technology consultant. I was in charge of automating the office and was under a bunch of people with degrees. The pay wasn't pretty good. Unfortunately, after I went to college, they wouldn't work around my school schedule so after one semester I went to a shipping company. I coordinated the transport of human remains around the country/world. It was a pay cut but I would rather take the hit to get the degree and then move up. It still payed alright and they were a 24/7 business so I was able to get my 48 hours in around school.

If the kid employed any of these saving strategies, they could probably even get away with working 30 hours/week during college instead of full time.

If someone doesn't want to do it, for whatever reason, that's their choice. But for a reasonably intelligent, motivated kid, it most certainly can be done.

I'll just focus on this part of your post. I do know students in undergrad, as well as grad and professional school.
Just because "Junior" decides he's going to work 20-30 hours a week doesn't mean it will come to pass.;)
The big problem right now is the economy. Who would you hire? A student that keeps changing their schedule because they "have" to have a class, (or need to study for finals) or someone who was always available? It's a no win situation for the student. Students aren't getting the hours they need, (promised 25 hours, actually working 8) and if they squalk, they end up with even fewer hours. Add into the mix if they aren't signing up for required prerequisite classes because of work conflicts, they risk needing extra semesters to catch up. Even though working your way through sounds great, the student may (through no fault of their own) fall on really hard times.

For those that qualify, the best option is work study--but it's usually only available as part of the financial aid package. The work is generally 20 hours or less, and the employer (the school) understands about a student's occasionally shifting schedule.

Just because "Junior" decides he's going to work 20-30 hours a week doesn't mean it will come to pass.;)
The big problem right now is the economy.

That is so true. Someone has posted about working 60-80 hours a week. There are adults who are trying to support families who have seen their job go from 40 to 32 hours a week or less. Lots of the "kids" get 12-15 hours a week. And they can only get multiple jobs if their days/shifts are set at those jobs. I think a lot of kids who would love to work 40-60 hours a week this summer are either idle or are only getting a few hours.

That is so true. Someone has posted about working 60-80 hours a week. There are adults who are trying to support families who have seen their job go from 40 to 32 hours a week or less. Lots of the "kids" get 12-15 hours a week. And they can only get multiple jobs if their days/shifts are set at those jobs. I think a lot of kids who would love to work 40-60 hours a week this summer are either idle or are only getting a few hours.

Exactly. And I probably ought to set the record straight. I'm totally biased in the direction of working very hard at SCHOOL, (rather than begging for 5 more hours at a part time job) and graduating rapidly. I don't seen any benefit in dragging out school for many extra years. It wasn't always easy, financially, but we filled out the FAFSA each year and did our part as parents.

I also come from the position of having a couple of kids that have always been appreciative...and they understood their parents expected them to be hardworking. We never needed to "teach" them the value of an education. They had a clear understanding of that long before they walked onto a college campus.

I was so lucky that my company paid for my college education back in the 80s. Don't know of too many companies that still do that. I worked 8-4 in NYC then went to school from 6-9pm 4 nights a week and all day saturday. Have no idea where i got all that energy from! DS and DD are both in college now and they have loans and both work to pay for their college.
Looking back, I also question just HOW I did it! There's a reason you go to college when you're young.
I literally feel so strongly about paying for college for my kids that my DH and I contribute to a 529 every month, and we don't have kids yet, with none on the immediate horizon.
We did the same thing, even back when we were barely making ends meet. Now that our oldest is in high school, we're so glad that we did.
Not true. The brutal truth is that you can tell which kids are going to graduate from college on time by the time they're in 9th or 10th grade. You can look at your kid's friends now and tell. The kids with internal fire and drive and inquisitiveness succeed. The kids who don't, don't. It has remarkably little to do with how tuition is paid, though there is a correlation between family income and graduation rates, and that probably speaks to a correlation between expectations ("it's not if you're going ... it's where") and the education levels and jobs of the parents.
As a high school teacher, I won't say this is 100% true . . . but I'd say that by the time 9th grade is done, you could predict with probably 80% accuracy who's going to make it in college and who isn't. The ones who don't read, who skip school, who aren't motivated, who don't have much of an idea of what they really want to do . . . they may go for a semester or a year, but they won't graduate, and it's evident in high school. My students come back to see me year after year, and I hear who's doing well, who's "partying" too much, and who's back at home in disgrace -- and in most cases, I could've predicted it.
What your post shows is that minimum wage and college costs vary widely by state . . . I think people have the idea that state schools cost about the same in each state and that minimum wage is about the same in each state. Obviously this isn't the case!
Oh, I know this is true! That's why our NC state schools are full of people with northern accents. It's cheaper for those students to pay out-of-state tuition than in-state tuition in their own home state!
One thing that is good for students to know is that many private schools are a lot more generous with merit and need based scholarships than state schools. A student shouldn't just assume that their State U will end up costing less.
This happens SOMETIMES, but it isn't going to be true for every person. It's worth looking into, but every college-bound student should investigate all his options carefully.
The big problem right now is the economy. Who would you hire? A student that keeps changing their schedule because they "have" to have a class, (or need to study for finals) or someone who was always available? It's a no win situation for the student.
Scheduling isn't all that big a problem. Students who need to work know that they should schedule morning classes so they'll be free by mid-afternoon for a 3-11 shift. They know that scheduling one night class per week will eliminate them from only one evening's work and will free up their day schedule. It's not rocket science. Likewise, employers near college campuses know that they can get cheaper labor by putting up with schedule changes that only need to be addressed once a semester. No one needs to take time off to study for finals; part of being both a worker AND a student is learning to juggle your time so that you can meet all your obligations -- people who are going to have to work just start studying sooner.
For those that qualify, the best option is work study--but it's usually only available as part of the financial aid package. The work is generally 20 hours or less, and the employer (the school) understands about a student's occasionally shifting schedule.
Work study is a mixed blessing. As you say, it's easy for the student: The on-campus offices are super-understanding about schedules, and they'll even let students come in to work 2-3 hours at a time -- it's true that off-campus jobs will not be so flexible. However, the job pays minimum wage. You can stay in that same job from freshman year to senior year, and you're still going to be making minimum wage. A student who chooses to work the night shift in a factory, who opts to load UPS trucks, or who waits tables in a high-end restaurant can earn as much in 2-3 evenings as the student who plogs along at a work study job for a whole month. Work study's fine for the student who just needs pocket money, but the student who needs to pay tuition needs a real job.
Exactly. And I probably ought to set the record straight. I'm totally biased in the direction of working very hard at SCHOOL, (rather than begging for 5 more hours at a part time job) and graduating rapidly. I don't seen any benefit in dragging out school for many extra years. It wasn't always easy, financially, but we filled out the FAFSA each year and did our part as parents.
I agree that in an ideal situation the student should make school his top priority. I've emphasized that with my daughters from a young age. Right now I'm pushing my high schooler to understand that good grades NOW = scholarships and more opportunities in the future.

But we're talking about a kid who HAS TO do it all on his own and has no financial aid, no scholarships, no parental support to fall back upon -- I think this is a fairly unique situation because most kids have SOME type of help. We're talking about worst-case scenerio, and in that situation the student may HAVE TO beg for five more hours of work -- he's living close to the edge. He may have to accept that he can't finish in four years. Though I had some financial aid and some scholarship money, I myself WAS this student. Having NO support from my parents -- not even health insurance -- often I had to choose between preparing adequately for class or working a few more hours. It was a lose-lose situation, but I did make it though. I earned two degrees in five years, and I graduated with honors. It's not the situation in which I want my daughters to go through college.

I'm totally biased in the direction of working very hard at SCHOOL, (rather than begging for 5 more hours at a part time job) and graduating rapidly. I don't seen any benefit in dragging out school for many extra years.

ITA. I thought we were talking about working your way through school in a normal time frame, if we're talking about extra years, of course I could do it. I'd take 2-3 classes a semester instead of a full load and work full time. It'd probably have taken me 6 years though.

Thankfully, this hasn't been a problem for me. I'm thankful for the scholarships and grants I have received and am happy to graduate next year at the age of 20, vs 22-24.

I worked my way through college, for the most part. I worked full-time for two of my college years. It was difficult, but I still graduated with a 3.85 GPA. I had a full-ride scholarship the other two years. I still worked on campus but I didn't really need the money for anything other than spending purposes. My senior year, I was the EIC of the university's student newspaper, so that was a full-time job on its own.

Now, if I had tried working full-time while I was in law school, I imagine it would not have turned out very well. I had a part-time research position and it was hard enough to keep up with that after factoring in law journal work and classes and trying to find a job.

I think it all depends on what a kid can handle. I kinda breezed my way through college, so working a job wasn't really detrimental. I also didn't have much in the way of family responsibilities, so it was easy enough to prioritize.

If your kid is going to play sports or be very much involved with another campus organization, he/she will likely not be able to work very many hours at a job. When I was EIC of the paper, I worked 40+ hours a week after factoring in editing, planning, oversight, staff meetings, writing, and being the TA for a couple of journalism classes. I'm glad my on-campus job only required 10 hours per week.

Now, if I had tried working full-time while I was in law school, I imagine it would not have turned out very well. I had a part-time research position and it was hard enough to keep up with that after factoring in law journal work and classes and trying to find a job.

See, for me, making money in law school was a piece of cake. I made more in 12 weeks of summer clerking than a person working full time for a year at minimum wage. Plus, I worked about 12 hours a week during the school year as a law firm clerk at a ridiculously high hourly wage. Of course, to do this, you have to go to law school in a big city with lots of law firms.

Just for fun, here is the minimum wage for all states.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

FWIW, it says that Texas is $6.55 and will be going up to $7.25 in a month (July 24th).

Figures. Son just got a 55 cent an hour raise from his minimum wage job for being there a year. So in a few weeks he'll get another 15 cents, to bring him up to the minimum wage ... so working there a year, he'll be making what the kids who just started make.

I think that's why the old ladies in the hospital kitchen hated me. I was a summer minimum wage worker in a hospital kitchen in the late 70s. There were these little old ladies who had been there for 20 or 30 years who would get 10 cent an hour annual raises. Because their raises couldn't keep up with the increase in the minimum wage, there were truly ladies who had been there 20 years who were only making a quarter an hour more than me!!!:scared1:

Yes... where I go to school, anyway. I think it's something like the second cheapest tuition in our country, though. :rotfl:

DH and I both go to school and while he gets the GI Bill, we put it in a savings account and I budget to pay our tuition and books out of our monthly income.

This fall we'll both be fulltime and I won't be going back to work... so I really need to configure a new budget up sometime soon, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter