• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working for Disney in the long-term

WOW, yeah you did jump around a lot, how come only 1 wk as a concierge, it you dont mind me asking, and what is a MI???

I actually got pulled from concierge for management training, so it wasn't because I wanted to leave. I will actually go back to the role in August and will have to restart my training.

MI stands for Management Intern. We classify them differently because the perks/accommodations are quite different.

and I'm hoping I can get a PI afterwards to work with the Youth Education Series. I'm hoping to eventually go FT with Disney in that position. :)

Not trying to rain on your 3:00 Parade, but chances are, you won't be able to go FT with the Youth Education Series. The YES program does use a lot of facilitators, but none of them are Full Time with YES* . Some are part time or seasonal and statused to YES, but the vast majority are full-time in other areas, and are considered a "Cross-Utilization" (Cross-U for short) with YES.

I've been a cross-u facilitator for 6 years. I work in my area most of the time, and am generally with YES on average once a week. I get requested more frequently during the YES busy season (springtime), and not as often during the fall months. Once the request from YES scheduling comes to my local scheduler, he will make a note of it, and if the operation can release me, I'll be allowed to facilitate with YES. However, if my area needs me on a particular day, then that takes priority over the YES request.

Like Berlioz, I've had several roles in my Disney career, starting with a CP, although mine has been a bit more spread out. (I'll hit my 7 year mark in August)

CP - AK Main Entrance Turnstiles (4 months)
PT - AK Main Entrance Turnstiles (3 weeks)
FT - Kilimanjaro Safaris and Wildlife Express train (1 1/2 yrs)
FT - Attractions Coordinator, DHS Backlands Attractions (1 1/2 yrs)
FT - Attractions Coordinator, MK Fantasyland Attractions (1 yrs)
FT - Concierge, Disney's Polynesian Resort (just about 2 years)
FT - Front Desk Service Advisor, Contemporary Resort (current)

* The YES Scheduler and some of the Booking Coordinators are Full-Time, statused to YES, and they also facilitate programs occasionally, but their primary role with YES is not facilitation.

I did my CP in Spring Advantage 2010 and now I am here for Summer Alumni 2011. I plan on going seasonal after this program in my current role of Merchandise. I have 2 years left of school so next summer I will hopefully apply for Summer Alumni again.

For the semester after I graduate I am going to apply for a PI in Guest Relations. I know it is super competitive but it is my DREAM! And I am perfect for the job! But just in case I am also going to apply for Fall Advantage 2013 so if I don't get my PI, I have another shot to apply.

I would really like to do Guest Relations for a while if possible but I also want to go back to Room Operations and work my way up to Guest Service Manager at one of the resorts.

Good luck to everyone!

I'd like a career in the Imagineering Dept, but I'm not sure if my creative side is strong enough. I'm an astrophysics major and have the analytical side under control, so when I'm down there for the CP this Fall I'll be taking their Creativity course, and *fingers crossed* the Engineering course!

Does anyone have any tips on getting into one of the Professional courses when your major isn't listed? Apparently studying astrophysics doesn't qualify me for an engineering course, even though ~60% of astrophysics majors get hired as engineers :confused3 I am on the waiting list at least.

Thank you in advance!

Working with Disney would be amazing, I'd want to do something creative along the lines of helping come up with new shows and events or sans that work with Hyperion Disney's book line or one of their magazines or publications.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter