• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working for Disney? Anyone?

IluvKingLouis

DIS Veteran
Please feel free to re-direct my post...this is probably not the correct forum. :)

I'm thinking about early retirement. I think I could be happy in Kissimmee, and working for Disney. How easy/hard is it to get hired? I have a strong customer service background and a BA. TIA:)

I don't have an answer for you, but I dream of doing that myself some day! Good luck in your endevors!:thumbsup2

How easy/hard is it to get hired? I have a strong customer service background and a BA. TIA:)

Bloviated Attitude?

Black Audi?

Bunny Antelope (Jackalope)?

Bifurcated Artery?

Burnished Amber pin?

Bentley Automobile?

Brown Airedale?

Broken Arrow?

Basic Aptitude?

I worked in WDW for a little less than a year in 2004 while I was staying in Orlando. If you are what the want a job can be easy to get. They want up-beat, friendly, enthusiastic people who will enjoy what they do. I filled out an online application, had one interview and started the training courses. I'd do it again in a heart beat! Check out their careers site; there is a link from Disney.com I believe.

Bloviated Attitude?

Black Audi?

Bunny Antelope (Jackalope)?

Bifurcated Artery?

Burnished Amber pin?

Bentley Automobile?

Brown Airedale?

Broken Arrow?

Basic Aptitude?

Ummm....how about "Bachelor of Arts"? aka: College Degree

Hah! Yes, Bachelor of Arts, in Business Economics. And I believe I have a very nice resume. I do know that Disney doesn't pay all that well, but I think I'm OK with that just to be there.

I'm upbeat, and I LOVE Disney. We have vacationed there once to twice a year (sometimes three times) since 1996.

Ummm....how about "Bachelor of Arts"? aka: College Degree

Ah.

Now I'm wondering how having a Bachelor of Arts will be of much use to qualify someone to sweep up refuse, push buttons on a dispatch station, watch people try to match Mickey's head with their MagicBand (and often miss), or sell food/clothing/trinkets to BTG's (Big Tour Groups)...
Hah! Yes, Bachelor of Arts, in Business Economics. And I believe I have a very nice resume. I do know that Disney doesn't pay all that well, but I think I'm OK with that just to be there.

I'm upbeat, and I LOVE Disney. We have vacationed there once to twice a year (sometimes three times) since 1996.

Oh -- a BA in Business Economics -- very nice.

Actually, the best thing you have going for you is your pro-Disney attitude. I'm sure just about half of the people working there now feel the same way... Good luck getting a position you want/like! pixiedust:

OBTW, have I ever told anyone here the story about the CM I met who had a Masters in Fine Arts, had been commissioned to paint several murals in downtown Orlando, and who carried and proudly displayed his portfolio (on 3x5 cards) at his then-current-position....?

... as a bartender at the Wilderness Lodge...

Ah.

Now I'm wondering how having a Bachelor of Arts will be of much use to qualify someone to sweep up refuse, push buttons on a dispatch station, watch people try to match Mickey's head with their MagicBand (and often miss), or sell food/clothing/trinkets to BTG's (Big Tour Groups)...

First off, I have respect for anyone that works...whether it's pushing a broom, or performing open heart surgery. Work, is work. It's all respectable.

I have held positions that garnished oohhs and awws. And I have held positions where I counted back change. I have always been pleasant and upbeat.

I'm guessing Disney has a lot of back office positions that I would be very qualified for. I would also love to be a Concierge and see the smiles on peoples faces when I can help them organize their trip.

And there is honor in waitressing, and answering phones....I have done that too.

First off, I have respect for anyone that works...whether it's pushing a broom, or performing open heart surgery. Work, is work. It's all respectable.
So do I. You can't run a theme park without all kinds of workers. I have nothing against the positions I mentioned -- and have at times considered applying myself -- but think you might be a bit overqualified for most of them...
And there is honor in waitressing, and answering phones....I have done that too.
I agree -- being a CRO phone worker would be both fun and interesting. But I can't be a waitress (unless WDW opens up "The Cross-Dresser Cafe")...

So do I. You can't run a theme park without all kinds of workers. I have nothing against the positions I mentioned -- and have at times considered applying myself -- but think you might be a bit overqualified for most of them...

I agree -- being a CRO phone worker would be both fun and interesting. But I can't be a waitress (unless WDW opens up "The Cross-Dresser Cafe")...

hahah! Larryz, Downtown Disney could use a Hamburger Mary's!

Disney employs 10s of thousands and it is easy to get hired... as long as you show the right attitude and you don't mind working for very little money, an annual pass for yourself, some comp tickets for your family, and some discounts.

Good luck, Elaine! I was told by a CM that Disney employes around 60,000 people in central Florida alone!! And despite what others seem to think here, that BA degree will do nothing but help you. I am in a position where I have hired many people. When I see you have completed that degree, I know that you know how to think and problem solve. Trust me - as a hirer - I could care less if you know calculus. But the fact that you can understand and comprehend calculus tells me a ton!! And it will to Disney, too. Go get your job. I can't think of a better retirement!! Also - check sites like "Indeed". Disney posts many jobs there.

I don't know what exactly they look for, but when I was a university student, I went to Disney to get a job. They offered me one, I said, "Thank you, But I think I'd do better in a different area." They said okay, and gave me what I wanted.

I was looking for an area with more guest interaction - where as the initial position would have been minimal interaction.

It is important to be upbeat and show your love of Disney.

If you don't get hired at first, apply again. Certain times of year are more likely to get you hired, high season, and even if you only get a temp position, it can lead to a permanent position once your foots in the door and they can see your work ethic.

Thanks for the information. My wife and I are far from retirement...but we have always secretly dreamed of doing this when we decide to hang it up.

My DH has a job interview in Florida on Mon ( not Disney) but we are really hoping to move to Florida b/c Disney will be the first place I apply!

I am a Disney authorized travel agent so I think I'd apply for that.. I also have 14 yrs loss prevention experience.. I'm thinking more of the career jobs than park jobs but working for Disney would be a dream come true for me!

It is my dream too, even if I have to clean bathrooms, I do not mind. Just being there every day is enough for me. I am freezing my butt off living in maine and would do just about anything to move to Florida and work at Disney. Husband and son, not so much..

I am about 30 years from retirement (at least) but I have said the same thing to my wife. I think it'd be kinda cool to "retire" to FL and get a part-time gig at WDW, just to keep me from boredom and keep some cash flowing in. I often joke that I'd like to drive the monorail, but if they're still around in 30+ years, they'll probably be fully automated. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter