Working at Disney, but not CP?

rpc94

Earning My Ears
Hello all! Just wondering if any of you have or are currently working at WDW and also in college, but not as part of the CP. I am starting college at UCF this fall and applied for a job there. Just wondering if anyone else has done this too...

Thanks!

Hello all! Just wondering if any of you have or are currently working at WDW and also in college, but not as part of the CP. I am starting college at UCF this fall and applied for a job there. Just wondering if anyone else has done this too...

Thanks!

Well not me - but my daughter did the CP, then transferred to UCF and worked at Disney. While at UCF she had another roommate who never did the CP and worked there (actually a lot of kids at the school did). She has since graduated but has another roommate who goes to UCF and works at Disney and she has a lot of local friends who go to school and work there.

Liz

After my college program I was seasonal and I started going to Valencia to finish my Associates. I have since finished transferred to UCF, but I am no longer with the company.

It was rough being seasonal because you pretty much had to fight for hours. However I was not subject to hour caps like the part timers are. And I don't advise going full time if you are a full time student.

My advice is only work there for extra spending money on the side and for the perks like tickets, discounts etc. It is a pretty far drive from UCF but if you live closer to property or go to rosen it may not be too much of a problem.

Yes, it is possible, but if you live close to campus it becomes harder. Most roles make less than $8.50/hour. And tolls going from UCF to Disney are $4.50 plus gas, meaning it's hard to make any money from a shift shorter than 6 hours. But if you're willing to use it as a side job, not one to fund yourself and your education primarily then it's fine.

I'm doing it right now. It's hard, but it's enjoyable.

It was rough being seasonal because you pretty much had to fight for hours. However I was not subject to hour caps like the part timers are. And I don't advise going full time if you are a full time student.

My daughter is seasonal now and is also capped. She has been getting 24.5 hours consistently for a while. (thankful she is in a role that doesn't have to fight for hours)

Yes seasonal CMs get capped as well. Will you be attending classes at UCF's Rosen College? If so you will meet tons of people who work at Disney and the campus is located near all the parks.

I'm from Orlando so doing the cp was never an option for me. I've been working at Disney for 10 years and got my AA at Valencia and transferred to Rosen in 2010. I'm full time at Disney and a part time student and even that is rough but I'm also married and don't rely completely on my own paycheck. You can be seasonal or part time at Disney but as others said, it's sometimes not worth the drive in to work depending on how many hours and how much you make. Still it's fun to get the perks and get a foot in the door if a career with Disney is something you'd be pursuing in the future.

Hey! My name's Jocelyn and I was actually just hired, non-CP. Time and money wouldn't allow me to participate in the program, so I waited just a few years and just applied right out a few weeks ago.

I had my interview and on-boarding and now I'm just waiting for my day of Traditions. I don't know how much help I'd be, but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions! :)

Hey! My name's Jocelyn and I was actually just hired, non-CP. Time and money wouldn't allow me to participate in the program, so I waited just a few years and just applied right out a few weeks ago.

I had my interview and on-boarding and now I'm just waiting for my day of Traditions. I don't know how much help I'd be, but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions! :)
That's great! Are you part-time or full time? And when did you apply because I applied at the beginning of Aug. and it still says "pending review" on my application...

Starting out part time but I'm planning on changing that as soon as possible ;)

The regular application process was pretty quick for me actually. I think it only took a couple days after submitting my app to get to scheduling an interview. Have you been checking your dashboard on the careers site?

Yes i've been checking about every day and it still says "pending review". Just out of curiosity what position did you get?

I'm going to be working attractions on the sunset strip of Hollywood studios. Super excited!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter