• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Work at Disney Store or Limited Too?

melk

DIS Veteran
At the mall today I noticed both stores advertising for help. I could use something maybe two mornings a week, and I could do a Friday or a Saturday night. Anyone work for either of these stores? Do you think that schedule is feasible? Also, how is the pay?

Thank you!

I heard LTD2 is going out-of-business and turning into Justice.

I worked at the Disney Store for 4 years and loved it (mostly!). I left when the Children's Place took over, and now our store has closed. The pay is not great, about min. wage, but if you travel to WDW fairly frequently, there are "perks" that might add to your bottom line. I enjoyed my time there.:)

I heard LTD2 is going out-of-business and turning into Justice.

Don't mean to highjack the thread but does anyone know if this is true? My mom just got DD a gift card for Limited Too for Christmas.

Disney Stores require full availability on weekends. This means you must be available all day and night Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Your shift may be days or nights, but you must be available. I have been with TDS for 15 years and it never changes. They are now hiring casuals for the holiday season, so you will not receive any of the perks other than your 20% discount.

I work at Justice, I am a stay at home mom, and love it!! I work a few mornings a week and get a great discount. Yes, The Limited too is turning into Justice, it will be after the first of the year.

Disney Stores require full availability on weekends. This means you must be available all day and night Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Your shift may be days or nights, but you must be available. I have been with TDS for 15 years and it never changes. They are now hiring casuals for the holiday season, so you will not receive any of the perks other than your 20% discount.

What would be typical work hours for weekends?

30% discount, including sale merchandise. After checking around this is pretty good. That is for part-time.

I may be wrong but I thought that the Disney perks ended when The Children's Place took them over. The perks may not return now that Disney has taken control back. I'd make sure to find out.

Almost all retail stores require weekend availability, especially during the Christmas season. Even if you put that you aren't available on Sunday, they'd probably still schedule you for it.. and then you get to argue with your manager every few days to fix the schedule. Retail rocks! :rolleyes:

Last year during my last semester of college, I worked at JCPenney during the Christmas season. I'd get scheduled all the time when I wasn't available (I had class from 8AM to 6PM on both Tuesday and Thursday, so I had asked to never be scheduled on either of those days, but the other 5 were fine.)

That said, it doesn't hurt to apply for the Christmas season, many places do need the help. Just know that retail is hard work, it is a lot of standing on your feet (get comfortable business casual shoes), a lot of running around and you will crash when you come home from a long shift. I worked in Children / Juniors at JCP and I loved cleaning the fitting rooms after hordes of teenage girls came through. Ugh.

I may be wrong but I thought that the Disney perks ended when The Children's Place took them over. The perks may not return now that Disney has taken control back. I'd make sure to find out.

Disney has taken the stores back. This went into effect on May 1st. We did get our perks back and we are all very happy to be owned by Disney once again. I have been with my store since it opened 15 years ago and went through all the changes. I am so happy I stuck it out.

As I said in a previous post, seasonal cast memebers do not get any perks except a 20% discount at the store.

Disney has taken the stores back. This went into effect on May 1st. We did get our perks back and we are all very happy to be owned by Disney once again. I have been with my store since it opened 15 years ago and went through all the changes. I am so happy I stuck it out.

As I said in a previous post, seasonal cast memebers do not get any perks except a 20% discount at the store.

Good for you for sticking it out, it must've been difficult for the last few years.
I would love to be back at TDS, but all of them in this area have closed within the last 3 years. :sad1:

HA! My daughter worked for both. She hated, hated, HATED LTD2. She refered to it as "the gates of hell." She left an assistant manager position and pay to work for TDS. She loved, loved, LOVED it :love: :love: and never regreted it.

She was required to purchase and wear LTD2 clothes (which she fit into with no problem.) Disney gave her a shirt and she only needed black pants. Just something to think about. Do you want to spend your hard earned $$$ on your wardrobe?

I worked for TDS for 5 years, and I hope to be back this year for the holidays. My store is gone, though. I loved it, I must say. But, you work hard, and you usually are trained to do several things, unless you go in just as part of the shipment team. Duties include vacuuming, cleaning onstage, AND backstage, including the employee bathroom. (we had a new CM quit over the bathroom detail). You climb ladders, too, sometimes up pretty high. New CMs are often made to be "greeters", which can be either your favorite job, for some personalities, or something you sort of dread.

As for availabilty, that varies by district, or even by store. We were never required to give open to close on Fri/Sat/Sun for example. It changed from time to time, I remember at one point you needed to give either all day sat OR all day Sun. OR One of the 2 weekend days, betwen open and close. At another time, you needed to give one shift each weeeknd day. But you needed to give a total of 3 or 4 days, and lots of times you were given call in shifts. You call 2 hours before the shift, to see if you need to go in. This is hard for Moms with sitters, but most Mom's would not be able to pay a sitter on TDS wages anyway I guess. In any case, availabilty requirements cannot be generalized at TDS, but weekends certainly are a large part of their business. They used to have alot of 4 hour shifts, I am not sure how it is now.

Wearing the "costume" or uniform was a HUGE plus to me, I do not own a suitable wardrobe for retail.

Can you tell me more about the shipment team? I'm interested in working for the disney store but do not want to do any cashiering. Is this position avaiable at the mall stores? I can work anytime which isn't a problem. Any info on this would be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter