work around a/c at night?

jennyraye

Mouseketeer
I can't find the post that says how to work around the auto-shut off of the a/c in the resorts at night. Anyone know how to do this?

I can't find the post that says how to work around the auto-shut off of the a/c in the resorts at night. Anyone know how to do this?

I thought it was to tie a balloon to it or something like that. Because it has a motion sensor on it. Not completely sure. Is this at all the hotels?

On the thermostat, push the power button and the down arrow (button that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly, you will see the letters "bp" where the temp normally shows. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it stays at that temp. You might have to do this once a day if the thermostat re-sets after 24 hours.

Yes! That's it! Thanks so much. We like to be fairly cool at night...especially me since I'm on the downslope to 50.

Wish you could bypass the t-stats at Pop like that! Unfortunately, they don't have those buttons, and I have to try the balloon trick. That is seriously my biggest gripe about WDW -- I am paying to stay there, let ME control the stat in MY room!! :headache: It's very frustrating to not sleep well because you're hot, because the A/C keeps deciding you don't need any more cool air.

Wish you could bypass the t-stats at Pop like that! Unfortunately, they don't have those buttons, and I have to try the balloon trick. That is seriously my biggest gripe about WDW -- I am paying to stay there, let ME control the stat in MY room!! :headache: It's very frustrating to not sleep well because you're hot, because the A/C keeps deciding you don't need any more cool air.

Bummer ~ we'll be at POP as well, I was happy to learn the t-stat trick, guess we'll go with a balloon.

Oh no, we are at ASSP. Does that mean the tip that I found here and pasted into my spreadsheet will be of no use to me?:sad1:

Oh no, we are at ASSP. Does that mean the tip that I found here and pasted into my spreadsheet will be of no use to me?:sad1:

At Sports and Music we have never had a problem lowering the thermostat. I love a cold room. Imagine my power bill considering I live in SE FL. Not fun. The Thermostat at Pop is one of the reasons I no longer stay there. When it first open (Grand Opening actually) a strong cold front had come through and it was in the 50's during the day. Well the thermostat made the heat come on, YUCK! We would open the door to cool the room off. Luckily it being FL the cold air didn't last.

I was afraid with the refurb at Music and Sports that they would change the thermostats but they seem to work just fine.

Is this true with the Moderates? Do they have the adjustable thermostats? I seem to remember dealing with this (the air re-adjusting during the night) last year at POFQ. Or do I need to use the balloon trick there too?

At Sports and Music we have never had a problem lowering the thermostat. I love a cold room. Imagine my power bill considering I live in SE FL. Not fun. The Thermostat at Pop is one of the reasons I no longer stay there. When it first open (Grand Opening actually) a strong cold front had come through and it was in the 50's during the day. Well the thermostat made the heat come on, YUCK! We would open the door to cool the room off. Luckily it being FL the cold air didn't last.

I was afraid with the refurb at Music and Sports that they would change the thermostats but they seem to work just fine.

We had a complete opposite experience last June when temps were really high (near 100). We stayed 7 nights at Pop and had no trouble keeping the room at a nice, chilly 68 - 69 which was just perfect for sleeping. This was without any attempts to override a motion sensor with a balloon or thermostat setting. Simply setting the thermostat at 69 and that's what we got! I have a travel alarm clock that also has a thermometer and we've tested it and found it to be accurate. It matched Pop's thermostat exactly!

However, when we moved for our last 3 nights to Music we were miserably hot! :confused3 The room was warm when we checked in late morning, so we turned the thermostat down to 69 and left to spend the day in the parks. When we came back that night around 9:30, it was still about 73 in the room. We thought that perhaps it was the motion sensor issue and that it would start to cool once we were in the room. We each (DH & I) took showers that night and even with the bathroom fan running, the whole room had warmed up to 74 now instead of getting cooler! We called the front desk to have them check it, and after about 1 1/2 hours they sent someone up. The room had not cooled at all during that time and it was now about 11:00 at night and we really wanted to be sleeping! The maintenance worker changed the filter and checked the temp of the air coming out and said that it was working as well as it could. But that there were 12 (I think that's the number) rooms on the same cooling system and if you were one of the last rooms on the line, then the room wouldn't be as cool. He said to turn the thermostat down as low as it would go (I think that was 55) and that was the best it could do. I asked about freezing up the unit, but he said that wasn't possible with the type of A/C unit it was.

So, we suffered in the 74 degree room for the rest of our visit. It was pretty miserable and we've cut Music from our list of places to stay because of this! Forget sleeping with a blanket - we could barely tolerate a sheet which just didn't feel right. Perhaps a room request to be added for those staying there is "We'd like to be first on the group of rooms on the A/C system." LOL! :rotfl2:

We're looking forward to having a nice, cool room at Pop at the end of Sept! Interesting that the poster I quoted seemed to have the opposite experience. :confused3

I don't recall having any trouble at Pop either.

I don't love it really hot but do prefer it to be 18-20 degrees. That might be too warm for some people.

We tried this bypass trick last May wile staying at AKL and Kidani Village. It not work at either place. I like my room temp pretty cool and did not sleep well at night at all because the rooms are set too warm for me.

Has anyone else had this problem not being able to bypass the thermostat while staying at Kidani? The must be something you can do, I have to have it cool at night as well.

We stayed at Kidani at the end of May, and we were miserably hot! We tried to override the AC, but we never could get it any colder. We finally called maintenance, and they sent a guy up to check on it. He told us that Kidani's system was different than the other resorts, and even they didn't know how to override it. The best he could do was turn the ceiling fans on high. (They don't have cords, so you can't adjust them yourself.)

We're staying there at the beginning of October, and I hope they've figured everything out by then. I can't stand being hot!

Are the thermostats motion activated at Kidani? Could a person use the T-shirt on the fan trick or is this just a problem with the entire system. Has anyone been to Kidani recently to know if this problem has been solved by anyone?

We have the same issue every year over at SSR. I'm going to try the "BP" buttons, and i'm praying that it will work!! Every night when it shuts off, I wake up... never fails!

Thanks for the tip~

We have the same issue every year over at SSR. I'm going to try the "BP" buttons, and i'm praying that it will work!! Every night when it shuts off, I wake up... never fails!

Thanks for the tip~

The bypass does work at SSR, and it got really cold in the room.

So where should the balloon hang in the room? Tied in front of the sensor???

My mom can't get hot - meds she's on can make her super sick if she gets too warm! They're staying at ASMo in 3 weeks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter