• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Words I am trying to purge from my vocabulary

Tinkermommy

<font color=deeppink>Not too exciting but we all c
I am going to be more authentic in my communication. So to that extent, I am eliminating words from my vocabulary.

Can't - This is the word people use instead of "won't" or "don't want to." So I am going to "own" my responses instead of relying on can't. Can't also means I haven't worked hard enough. I won't even allow my kids to use this word.

Try - Another cop out word. I am either going to commit to something or I am not. Remember what Yoda says.

Interesting - A bogus word people use when they don't want to give honest feedback. As in, the details of your 2 year old's potty schedule is interesting. So unless I am really interested in something, I am not going to use it.

Anyone else?

Interesting? I can't think of any reason that I would have to try this out in my daily routine. Good Luck...:rotfl2: (j/k)

I have a few, but if I told you I would be banned ;)

Can't - This is the word people use instead of "won't" or "don't want to." So I am going to "own" my responses instead of relying on can't. Can't also means I haven't worked hard enough. I won't even allow my kids to use this word.

"Yes, I realize my child will be gone for a week and my husband and I will be having some alone time, but I've had a hysterectomy so I can't get pregnant."

Yeah, "can't" still works for me. ;)

"Yes, I realize my child will be gone for a week and my husband and I will be having some alone time, but I've had a hysterectomy so I can't get pregnant."

Yeah, "can't" still works for me. ;)

Ha ha, I meant to add that unless you are physically incapable, then I use can't. As in "I can't fly."

Not sure if it's a word, but... technotronics. Jeff from Big Brother spelled it out during a competition one summer. Somehow, that word has entered my vernacular.

Also, flux capacitor. I was once discussing with a friend different car parts that are targeted by car thieves. I meant to ask him if his car had a catalytic convertor, but what rolled from my lips was, "does your car have a flux capacitor?" Without missing a beat and to my utter confusion, my friend responded that his car did not have one, as it was not equipped for time travel.

I am going to be more authentic in my communication. So to that extent, I am eliminating words from my vocabulary.

Try - Another cop out word. I am either going to commit to something or I am not. Remember what Yoda says.

Interesting - A bogus word people use when they don't want to give honest feedback. As in, the details of your 2 year old's potty schedule is interesting. So unless I am really interested in something, I am not going to use it.

Anyone else?

Can't was a naughty word when I was coaching--try was always a good word--I will try harder, I will try to learn that shot, etc. I was ok with try because sometimes you just couldn't do that. I wanted to try to learn to dunk a basketball but in reality I couldn't :lmao:.

Interesting--I don't think I could get rid of that one. That is a nice way to say "you know what, I don't really care how many times your kid pooped today" :lmao:.

I disagree. All three words have legitimate uses and I will continue to use them.

Not sure if it's a word, but... technotronics. Jeff from Big Brother spelled it out during a competition one summer. Somehow, that word has entered my vernacular.

Also, flux capacitor. I was once discussing with a friend different car parts that are targeted by car thieves. I meant to ask him if his car had a catalytic convertor, but what rolled from my lips was, "does your car have a flux capacitor?" Without missing a beat and to my utter confusion, my friend responded that his car did not have one, as it was not equipped for time travel.

I like to work flux capacitor into as many conversations I can!

"flux capacitor . . . fluxing"

Anyone else?

Yes. Apparently.

Apparently (at least according to DH), I've begun using the word in a bit of a sarcastic tone -- it's pretty passive-aggressive and I've been trying to stop.

Apparently, it's hard to quit cold turkey.

These are perfectly good words with perfectly good applications. No need to purge them. Using them isn't a cop out, it's accurate.

For the past several months I have been trying to delete "gonna" from my vocabulary and trying to say "going to". It is so hard. It takes so much effort.

For the past several months I have been trying to delete "gonna" from my vocabulary and trying to say "going to". It is so hard. It takes so much effort.

That's my biggest one! I can't stop saying it. I'm really gonna try!

May I make a request of a phrase that people should remove from their vocabulary?

"a couple, three"

As in the sentence: "We had 'a couple, three' inches of rain last night."

It just drives me insane.

My co-worker (who uses many "interesting" phrases) uses this. While he isn't from Georgia, he spent many years living there and I think it was where he picked it up. SO's mother, who is also not from Georgia, but built a home up in the Blue Ridge Mts, has also said this on at least one occasion in my hearing. The other night SO and I were watching the news (something to do with the hurricanes) and an official made some announcement and used the phrase "a couple, three". I turned to SO and said, "he must be from Georgia!"

*No offense meant to anyone who lives in or ever lived in Georgia, I am sure it is also used by people who never set foot in your lovely state. :flower3:

I would love to stop saying "like". I never stopped saying it from, like, high school!!

I also, instead of saying "He said", I say, "He goes". For instance, I will say (when re-telling an incident), "He goes, 'No way!'". What I should say is, "He said, 'No way!'".

Words I would like others to stop saying (because they're NOT words):

supposably
irregardless
amazing (ok, that's a word but WAY overused)

Phrase that is used but is incorrect:

I could care less (it's I COULDN'T care less)

Ok, I'm like done now. :thumbsup2

I have a grammar related one. My son gives me a hard time about "there's." It stands for "there is," but I'm known to use it for "there are."

Example "There's apples in the kitchen."

I'm trying to stop, but it's not easy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter