Wooden Swing set- on a budget update pg 3

Has anyone purchased a swing set in the last year? We moved into a new house last summer and I am hoping to get our kids ages 8,6 and almost 3 a swing set. We had a metal framed set before but I am leaning towards a wooden one this time. My only concern is that dd 8 is almost 4 feet 8 and weighs 85lbs. I want something sturdy. I would love a rainbow or gorilla set but the price is way up there. I am hoping to stay under 1000. Any suggestions?

These are the ones I am leaning towards:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8222491

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436594

My favorite but too pricey
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9124330

Thanks for you help!!!!

We bought the Walmart one last March for $350-$370. & it is great

Has anyone purchased a swing set in the last year? We moved into a new house last summer and I am hoping to get our kids ages 8,6 and almost 3 a swing set. We had a metal framed set before but I am leaning towards a wooden one this time. My only concern is that dd 8 is almost 4 feet 8 and weighs 85lbs. I want something sturdy. I would love a rainbow or gorilla set but the price is way up there. I am hoping to stay under 1000. Any suggestions?

These are the ones I am leaning towards:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8222491

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436594

My favorite but too pricey
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9124330

Thanks for you help!!!!

We bought the top Walmart one last March for $350-$370. & it is great

For the ones from Home Depot or Lowe's, how's the maintenance? I'm concerned about splinters on the kids - DD had a nasty one from the wooden set at the in-law's house & I've been worried about getting a wooden one now. But, I really think it's time for the plastic kiddie one to go!

My oldest (8 in May) got splinters from our old swing set so we got one covered in plastic 2 years ago.

digimarc.ms

http://www.swingsetsource.com/residential-swing-sets/wood-swing-sets/monkeyplaysetiv.cfm

It did take us a good 2-3 weeks to put it together but we only did it some nights for an hour & some nights not at all. I even climb on it (scares the dickens out of me too).

We have a rainbow, which cost about $3000. We bought a $500 one from ToysRUS when my oldest 2 were little, but it just wasn't sturdy enough once they got bigger, and more kids played on it. A stronger, simple swingset is better than a fancy, flimsy swingset. When dd10's friend come over, I'm glad it's not going to tumble - they're pretty rough on it!

This swingset is probably the best investment I made. It's 6 years old, good as new, and gets played on every single day!

I so wish we bought a better swing set the first time. We didn't want/have to spend the money at that time so we got a cheap $500 Walmart one in 2002. Well the wood boring bee's made a nice home in it so we didn't let the kids play on it & then we looked & looked & looked & my oldest didn't want the wood one (splinter fear) so we got the one above, which happened to be a Rainbow dealer here in CT so we could actually see it before ordering.

And if you want to see 10 year old boys playing with a swingset, here ya go:
100_2788.jpg

They also have this made-up game involving the swings and a hoppity-hop, called kickball.

We bought one from Sam's Club last summer for 1100+. It is not as sturdy as my friends' Rainbow sets. However, dh added extra lumber to reinforce it, which helps. I waited til the fall, then painted the entire thing with deck stain/protector. I think that'll help it last longer. It took dh 2 weekends to put it together. He's very handy and works fast, but there were nearly 100 steps, many of which had multiple parts.

Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Here's another vote for the Sam's sets. We got one for DD for her bday last year, and although it was a pain to put together, its been worth every penny. She plays on it all the time.

We have the "Woodridge", but the set they have in our store now is the "Skyfort" and it looks really cool! It's a little more than it looks like you wanted to spend, but in our case, its been a great investment.

I got the $299.00 version from walmart. I reimforced the swing supports with for 2x4's and its still holding up well 3 years later. It was a bit of a pain to put together.

Good luck with your swing set search! I'm 20 and still go on the swing set my dad built :rolleyes1 My friends even enjoy it hahaha

He actually wanted to take it down a few years ago and we wouldn't let him :rotfl:

Here's another vote for the Sam's sets. We got one for DD for her bday last year, and although it was a pain to put together, its been worth every penny. She plays on it all the time.

We have the "Woodridge", but the set they have in our store now is the "Skyfort" and it looks really cool! It's a little more than it looks like you wanted to spend, but in our case, its been a great investment.

Looks like they have the woodridge online. Price includes shipping- wonder if it is cheaper in the store?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=387245

I would be willing to pay a little more for a quality- long lasting swing set.

do you have a costco? their sets are the best. we bought our's in 2001 for around $800. It is still going strong. my kids are 9 and 7.Just survived 10 girls for a sleepover a few weeks back as a matter of fact. I think it was money well spent. dh added a swinging bridge where they monkey bars where. The kids love sitting up there to play and have picnics. He also added sprinkles for summer fun.. It has lasted thru a few hurricanes also and the only thing we have had to replace our the swings..

just had to add we have two friends that have bought the red set from Sams over the years and both their sets rotted out.. Not sure what the issue is with the red wood or what but ours is the regular wood set and we all bought our sets between 2001-2002..

Last year I wanted to buy a swingset for our new home but didn't want to foot the bill...I definitally preferred a wooden set that was sturdy since 2 of my kids are getting bigger, fast... I checked my local paper and came across an ad for items for sale... I was able to purchase a 3 year old, $3600 set for $275!!! I did have to rent a uhaul to pick it up and the guys had to dismantle a few parts, but after all was said and done...including mulch, we spent less than $800...

Craigs List!

My boyfriend sold one several years ago. Lots of times when you move into a house it comes with it and we wanted to get rid of it!

I think the ones from Wal-Mart should be banned!! I bought one 3 years ago, after the first year the horizontal top supports that the swings hang from had deteriorated to the point that they broke. The rope climb net rotted and broke within 6 months. When I called about warranty the cost of shipping the net under warranty was over $40. Buy a good swing, either in kit form or from a dealer!!!

...I want something sturdy. I would love a rainbow or gorilla set but the price is way up there. I am hoping to stay under 1000. Any suggestions?

4 yeas ago we bought our Rainbow Monster set from the classifieds. It retailed for nearly $7k at the time but got it for $2400 used. I power washed it and restained it with Rainbow's sealer/stain.

DSC00030.jpg

I don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but scan the classified, want advertiser, craigslist, etc...people sell and give away wooden sets all the time. the catch is you have to be lightning quick in viewing and responding to ads as the good sets go immediately.

We targeted Rainbow because they are so sturdy and scaled large enough that adults can climb in them. Our DS's use it regularly.

Looks like they have the woodridge online. Price includes shipping- wonder if it is cheaper in the store?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=387245

I would be willing to pay a little more for a quality- long lasting swing set.

This is the exact one we bought 1 1/2 yrs ago. We did save because we picked it up. I think we saved $150. It came in 3 boxes, very heavy. Our friend pulled it with his SUV/trailer. Again, I strongly recommend buying some extra lumber to reinforce it so it's safer.

Thanks for all of the photos and advice. I really started to search for a set that was more durable. I purchased one this evening and was able to stay in my budget. I called to verify the weight limits. The swings have a limit of 220 per swing, which should last us a long time. I also like that the swing has metal brackets/ braces. Thanks for all you help.

We bought the set called the explorer- bottom of page

http://ebm.swing-n-slide.com/iwwida.pvx?;products_no_tree?comp=NEW?cat=SNS06

I thought I would mention for those still looking... We were at Costco yesterday, and they're now selling a complete Rainbow brand cedar set. It features two connecting forts, and all the goodies for $1299.

mommybrown, Looks like a good one. I am sure your kids are going to have lots of fun!

Your kids will love it! We have a wooden swingset that has the swing-n-slide components. We bought it used and it was the best thing I ever bought. My DH wasn't so sure we needed a wooden swingset, but now with 3 kids it gets used all summer long. Even you will find yourself taking a swing on it every now and then. On late summer evenings when the kids are asleep and I'm out filling the pool (BTW, another great purchase I made) I'll take a swing and it is so relaxing.

Hooray for your purchase -- spring is coming!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter