Wood Floor Cleaning

Sinderelly

Princess
We are finally getting our new hardwood flooring installed tomorrow and Wednesday. What is the best and most budget friendly way to keep it clean and very shiny? The old flooring (laminate) was ripped up due to water coming in on our floors when we lost a wall. I saw what the water did to the laminate so we decided to go with hardwood. I have a steam mop but it always left streaks on our laminate.

We had alot of damage from the tornado on May 25th and are finally starting to get some work done to put our house back together. :goodvibes

If you are having hardwood floors installed I am sure they will be sealed. We have oak hardwood flooring which is sealed and I use a damp sponge mop when needed and about once a year I use murphy's oil soap for wood floor. Usually I just have to run my brush vacuum attachment to pick up the dust. So far, so good. Your installers should be able to tell you how to maintain it. Good luck!

The solution I use is about a teaspoon of Murphys oil soap mixed in about 4 cups of water. I sometimes use a mop or sometimes use a rag on the end of a mop which I think works better because you want to make sure that it is very damp, not dripping.

Also, dry swiffers work well in between moppings.

Bona -- I wouldn't use anything else!!! I clean show homes for a major homebuilder and it is the only thing that his flooring people recommend. I just use the regular Bona spray (no need to purchase the special mop and everything unless you just want to). I use a damp microfiber rag on my regular "swiffer". Rinse the rag frequently and spray as directed. It is AWESOME - for in between spot cleans - clean the same but use regular BLUE WINDEX instead of BONA.

We don't have wood, but my mom has really gorgeous wood floors and she only uses Bona. Even with dogs, grandkids, lots of family, etc her floors look brand new and they have lived there 6 years now.

She gets it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon.

Bona with a damp microfiber pad on my mop ( and i get mine at home depot)

Never heard of Bona, I'm not sure if they have it here in Canada. I use a Swiffer wet jet with the wood floor cleasing solution or when I get on my hands and knees to do it use the Vim wood floor cleaner.

I've had hardwood in my kitchen for years and have only used vinegar and water......the floor is as shiny as the day it was installed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am glad I didn't make the mistake of using the steam mop on the hardwood. :scared1: I just want to be so careful to keep it shiny :goodvibes

We use Bona too. Love it. :goodvibes You can find it at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. A bottle goes a long way and seems to last forever.

Your steam mop will work wonderfully on them for daily use. For a hearvier cleaning, Murphy's Oil Soap. Can't recommend Bona cause I've never heard of it! :D

Good luck...I wish WE had hardwood floors. :D

I just moved into a new home last month, and my MIL bought me Bona cleaner and a microfiber spray mop for the hardwood floors. She swears by it. It leaves my floors shiny, and it is non-toxic, which was important to me because of my dogs. I have no complaints.

The Bona cleaner sounds great. I had never heard of it. They are here right now nailing the new wood floor down. I am so excited. I can't believe how shiny it is when I compare it to my old laminate :goodvibes

I am cringing inside at all the Murphy's Oil Soap recommendations. At least no one has mentioned Orange Glo. :sad2:

I work for a flooring company and we get more people in asking how to FIX nastiness caused specifically by those 2 products more than any thing else. Oil doesn't work with sealed floors. Why? Because oil is made to penetrate wood. Sealed floors can't be penetrated. What you get instead is a greasy, streaky, discolored mess. DON'T USE OIL!

Best 2 recommendations have already been hit upon. Bona (do you hear the Hallelujah chorus?) is a FANTASTIC product. If you can't find it locally (it's available world-wide), go online.
The 2nd product is simple vinegar and water. Yup. Vinegar and water. Haul out the Windex and spray lightly.

The number one tip I can give you though is to SPRAY LIGHTLY. Even though the floor is sealed (I'm assuming you didn't buy a sand-and-finish product), water can still get in the cracks of the floor. Wet mopping isn't a good idea. I also recommend putting rugs in front of sinks and refrigerators with automatic ice dispensers.

Enjoy the floor! Post pictures. I'm just enough of a flooring nerd to enjoy seeing fresh wood floors. :goodvibes

OH! I almost forgot a trick my mother taught me. If you want really, really, REALLY shiny and beautiful floors....

Put your kids in old tube socks and teach them to "skate". Make sure they get the corners. Wears the kids out and you get a shiny floor. :rotfl2:

Why pay money for an expensive cleaner when you probably have the best cleaner in your house already? White vinegar!! My brother used to install hardwood floors and told me the best thing to use is vinegar and water. I use a microfiber mop (has a microfiber pad that attaches to the the head), and mix vinegar and water. My floors are absolutely beautiful for very little expense, and I just throw the microfiber pad in the washer. By the way, don't use fabric softener in the washer when you wash the pad. It will leave a film next time you use the pad. Just put white vinegar in the washer where your softener usually goes. Voila!!

I am cringing inside at all the Murphy's Oil Soap recommendations. At least no one has mentioned Orange Glo. :sad2:

I work for a flooring company and we get more people in asking how to FIX nastiness caused specifically by those 2 products more than any thing else. Oil doesn't work with sealed floors. Why? Because oil is made to penetrate wood. Sealed floors can't be penetrated. What you get instead is a greasy, streaky, discolored mess. DON'T USE OIL!

Best 2 recommendations have already been hit upon. Bona (do you hear the Hallelujah chorus?) is a FANTASTIC product. If you can't find it locally (it's available world-wide), go online.
The 2nd product is simple vinegar and water. Yup. Vinegar and water. Haul out the Windex and spray lightly.

The number one tip I can give you though is to SPRAY LIGHTLY. Even though the floor is sealed (I'm assuming you didn't buy a sand-and-finish product), water can still get in the cracks of the floor. Wet mopping isn't a good idea. I also recommend putting rugs in front of sinks and refrigerators with automatic ice dispensers.

Enjoy the floor! Post pictures. I'm just enough of a flooring nerd to enjoy seeing fresh wood floors. :goodvibes

Our wood parquet was never sealed (previous owners installed it and didn't take great care of it). Which is why we used Murhpy's. After a few years of living here, we decided to give it one good cleaning, and find a good floor sealer/wax. Now we can use good old soap and water (or as you suggested vinegar and water). I think we still seal/wax it about once a year though. It's a PITA. We would LOVE to get new floors in the kitchen...but right now that's just an option. So, we do the best we can!

And Orange Glo is only used on our ancient bathroom cabinets. >_< Looking to replace those in the next few years to. :P

Thanks for the suggestions for the future though...as I'm sure in the next few years, we can have a nice wood floor installed. :) :thumbsup2

OH! I almost forgot a trick my mother taught me. If you want really, really, REALLY shiny and beautiful floors....

Put your kids in old tube socks and teach them to "skate". Make sure they get the corners. Wears the kids out and you get a shiny floor. :rotfl2:

I LOVE this!! VERY funny!!! Can't wait to try this with my kids!

This one made me laugh! My uncle and I used to "skate" on my grandmother's floors. I wondered why her floors were always so shiny. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter