• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder's EBPC 9/12/14 Who's Going With Us!

We're probably going to stay at the Hampton Inn in San Diego - downtown - right near the port...some rooms you can see the ships in their ads anyway! We've always had good experiences at Hampton Inn...part of Hilton Honors Program. We are thinking of getting there on the 10th and going to the Zoo on the 11th. Will probably do a couple of days at WDW after the cruise before flying back home.
:wave2:

Sorry to hear your work last night was so hectic. That RN sounds like she is jealous cause she ain't goin' on the cruise!!!:rotfl:

The tattoo sounds like a good one. I have a couple myself. You are going to have to watch getting into the water for about a couple of weeks with your new tattoo. You shouldn't chance getting it soaked and especially in the ocean - salt water. You can wash it with mild soap and pat it dry in the shower. But, I'm sure you already know these things. Do you use tattoo goo? I did with mine and it is a good product. :thumbsup2

My sister's best friend is doing it. So I think because it's her, and I love her (if anyone else wants one before we go I can highly recommend her), I am okay with keeping my hand held up (I will just be holding and waving drinks) and wrapping my wrist in tegaderm or saran wrap (note to self what to pack)... I have three tattoos. I really like the stuff the guy who did my nurse's lamp used and gave me: it was a homemade mixture. Felt so good!

Fish extenders stuff:

When in doubt--- keep it simple. There's a lot of threads about it. There's a couple drama filled groups on facebbook. We got a lot of bags on this last cruise which was nice because often we forget our shopping bags--- but how can you forget Mickey? Pinterest has become a nerdy tool for me. I think what we're doing is using the fact that I grew up in Southern California to get a chunk of our FEs. Like we're doing something and then when we get to Corona to pick up wine and booze for the boat we're going to get the extra punch for our gift. :D It will be fun. Don't stress about it.

whew - you folks were chatty for the last month!! I have just gotten around to reading all the posts...here are a few comments and answers:

Karen - looks like you worked out the spreadsheet stuff - if you get 12 people in your group you can request table 23 (the one in the center of the room), however, getting that table can be difficult if there are a lot of "VIP" cruisers on board.

Heads up guys! As of right now it looks like :::counts on toes:::: 6? 7 (?) staff members (CNAs and RNs) from my hospital/where I work are all going on this boat/trip. We'll be in Caribbean blue or navy blue saying things like "OMG I saw the coolest thing!!!!!!" and it will be something gross. :rotfl2: I am kinda' worried that my boss may plotz herself when she realizes we are all going (the aides work NOCs and the RNs are dayshifters so it shouldn't really be and issue. But still.).
I work nights (is that what NOC means?) as both a paramedic and ERRN - so I am your worst story nightmare!!! I have personally cleared a bar out one night by accident...so please, do not ask me what the worst thing I have seen is, because my answer is "name your worst nightmare - most likely I have seen it"

I learned long ago to watch my conversation around the dinner table. My family is used to it but when I'm public I can go from 0 to Gross on 1.2 seconds. Just don't ask me about my job and things go well. But I figure that if you ask then you're prepared for the answer.
yep - I hear you...I don't talk work at all...get a bunch of medics together and the war stories fly.

You are what I want to be when I "grow up!" I am going to school to be an ER RN.

So then we have a cruise full of nurses and nurse's aides. Oh this will be interesting. How many people are going to puke overboard by listening to our stories.
that is tougher than you think...too many guard rails (LOL)

My favorite story is the gang-banger that wanted to get a better look while doing a drive by shooting. He stuck his head out the front window while his buddy in the back seat was doing the shooting. Needless to say Darwin won that one.
OMG...too funny

Oh boy, I'll bet you've got some great ones. I remember two psychiatric holds that we had once. Made the mistake of placing Jesus next to Satan. Hilarity ensued.
OK - this one is just so wrong it is right...I was howling...please, may I relate this to friends? They are going to roll over!!!

Yep, after seeing my first c-section I commented to my instructor, "now I know where the magicians got the idea for sawing the lady in half." It was gruesome.

BTW: for those of you not in healthcare: ER nurses, contrary to popular belief, hate delivering babies. We can't get pregnant women out if our department and into L&D fast enough. Don't get me wrong we have nothing against childbirth. (We were all born once ourselves).
lol

Hi all,
Spouse and I and a couple of friends have recently booked this PC cruise. This will be our 19th cruise (if I am counting correctly) by the time we sail, our 3rd on Disney. This will be our friends first cruise with Disney. Neither couple is sailing with children or grandchildren but we are definitely 'Disney" families! We are from Texas and they are from California. Both couples are on Deck 7, mid-ship balcony. After sailing the Dream, I hope it is not too disappointing to go back to the smaller ship but I am sure the itinerary will more than make up for the lack of an Aqua Duck! It appears there are a lot of posts here and I will begin making my way through them for suggestions and ideas. We will likely go to Disneyland for a day or two before sailing and then -of course- to WDW when we arrive in Florida. Hope to get to know some of you from these boards and then when traveling! Happy Planning!
Maria & Brian
:cool1:
This is called a K2K trip - it is what we are doing also. (Kingdom to Kingdom). The Wonder will be the only ship without a water slide/plunge at this point...I am wondering what the Magic will look like when she comes west again - her total overhaul begins in Sept of this year.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Hey everyone, click on the link above for the DisneyParks blog web page. There is a video about the CM's and guests on the Magic's Westbound Transatlantic cruise painting a mural for a children's hospital in Barcelona. In the video they talk to Cayla who is on the Magic now, and she is going on the Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise with all of us next September!!!:thumbsup2

It was Eastbound...and amazing!!! They spoke to both Cathy and I, but edited her part out :( the PaintFest at Sea was so much fun and a great thing to be involved in...we didn't get to the hospital to see the mural as it was over 30 minutes outside of Barcelona.

I understand that there is a Facebook page but I've yet been able to access it.
We love the book exchange idea! We should keep track of these ideas on the main page. I haven't been able to access the Facebook page either, but I think the person in charge of it is/was on vacation for a while.

About the FB page - it is a "secret" page - so if you PM me your email address that is attached to FB I will add you. Anyone can do this who is already a member of the page. Because of issues on the EBTA FB page (we had a non-cruiser get on and create some trouble) I limited the access to only those who are actually cruising. This also gives us a little more "privacy" (as much as the web will allow at least) to exchange personal information.

A comment about door/cabin decorations:
...The cabin doors have been repainted so many times, that unless the magnet is very strong they will fly off when the door closes

...keep the special magnets up high - seems some folks like to shift them to other doors!!

...personalize your magnets as much as possible - I have had generic ones disappear and it saddens me

...DCL is no longer allowing over the door shoe holders to be used on the closets, so if you are someone who has used them in the past, bring an alternative way of hanging it from the center hook.

...I saw someone's cabin on the "cabin crawl" that the Dis organized on the EBTA who had used sticky tac to put up posters on the cabin walls, I asked our steward about this and was told they were not supposed to do that. Be careful if you do this, as you may pay a fine.

...use suction cups on the mirrors to hang stuff up - easy to remove, no damage and a great way to organize your stuff.

other comments:
platinum vs gold -no real difference. If ONE person in the cabin is Platinum then all are treated as such (BUT that person has to charge the purchases to get the discount). The highest level person is the one that the cabin is based on.

Some folks count nights on board as well as number of cruises to determine the "status" of the cruiser....I think DCL may be reworking the upper levels of the repeat cruiser status in the future. They have asked many people for their opinions. I think (my guess only) they may tier the platinum after a certain number of cruises to be nights based. My finace Cathy has more nights on board than some platinum cruises, but she is gold because of 7 sailings.

Cayla

It was Eastbound...and amazing!!! They spoke to both Cathy and I, but edited her part out :( the PaintFest at Sea was so much fun and a great thing to be involved in...we didn't get to the hospital to see the mural as it was over 30 minutes outside of Barcelona.

I meant to say Eastbound. I can be sooooooooooooooo stupid sometimes!!! Just ask DW...............she'll tell you it is true!!!
(Just chalk it up to another Senior Moment!!!)

...The cabin doors have been repainted so many times, that unless the magnet is very strong they will fly off when the door closes

...keep the special magnets up high - seems some folks like to shift them to other doors!!

...personalize your magnets as much as possible - I have had generic ones disappear and it saddens me

...DCL is no longer allowing over the door shoe holders to be used on the closets, so if you are someone who has used them in the past, bring an alternative way of hanging it from the center hook.

...I saw someone's cabin on the "cabin crawl" that the Dis organized on the EBTA who had used sticky tac to put up posters on the cabin walls, I asked our steward about this and was told they were not supposed to do that. Be careful if you do this, as you may pay a fine.

...use suction cups on the mirrors to hang stuff up - easy to remove, no damage and a great way to organize your stuff.

other comments:
platinum vs gold -no real difference. If ONE person in the cabin is Platinum then all are treated as such (BUT that person has to charge the purchases to get the discount). The highest level person is the one that the cabin is based on.

Some folks count nights on board as well as number of cruises to determine the "status" of the cruiser....I think DCL may be reworking the upper levels of the repeat cruiser status in the future. They have asked many people for their opinions. I think (my guess only) they may tier the platinum after a certain number of cruises to be nights based. My finace Cathy has more nights on board than some platinum cruises, but she is gold because of 7 sailings.

Cayla

Thanks for the information Cayla!!!

QUESTION ABOUT BRUNCH: I signed up but I'm wondering how we do it on the 12th or is that date just listed because it is the first day of the cruise? Thanks!

Also, I'll create ( or try) to do a google form for car pool (DL-Port) so anyone who is interested will be linked up. We are 6 so far, so I think a first van is filling!

Maria

Maria, I think the date of the 12th is listed because it is the first day of the cruise like you said. Since this cruise is so far out no specific date has been mentioned for the brunch yet.

If you want me to put a link on the first post to the car pool form, I can do this for you Maria. Just let me know, I'll be glad to do it. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the information Cayla!!!:lmao:

you are welcome. I have updated the spreadsheet of who is who on the FB page.

Just a thought here...on previous cruises, people have built webpages to keep all the information in one location OR have created massive spreadsheets with numerous pages to also corral the information. Not sure if anyone wants to tackle something like that. I do not have the software to create a webpage, but could look into if if there is enough interest.

Cayla

I work nights (is that what NOC means?) as both a paramedic and ERRN - so I am your worst story nightmare!!! I have personally cleared a bar out one night by accident...so please, do not ask me what the worst thing I have seen is, because my answer is "name your worst nightmare - most likely I have seen it"

yep - I hear you...I don't talk work at all...get a bunch of medics together and the war stories fly.

that is tougher than you think...too many guard rails (LOL)

NOCs= night shift. Oh seriously this is going to be a "let's hear awesome stories over beers" cruise. I had one last week where I stood in front of a potty thinking "Huh. What did I do wrong in a previous life?"

Last cruise I saw someone put those super expensive Disney scrapbooking stickers all over their door. As in the whole door was covered with stickers. I just about plotzed my pants. I need to make new magnets. I have thin magnets but they didn't stick well on the Fantasy.

At the fancy "dinner club" I was invited to, the nurses I was with were like "So Leannda, Kim, and Emily are all leaving the med surg nurses while you guys are on vacation? You don't want to stay at work for two weeks?" Nope. Nope I am good.

NOCs= night shift. Oh seriously this is going to be a "let's hear awesome stories over beers" cruise. I had one last week where I stood in front of a potty thinking "Huh. What did I do wrong in a previous life?"

Last cruise I saw someone put those super expensive Disney scrapbooking stickers all over their door. As in the whole door was covered with stickers. I just about plotzed my pants. I need to make new magnets. I have thin magnets but they didn't stick well on the Fantasy.

At the fancy "dinner club" I was invited to, the nurses I was with were like "So Leannda, Kim, and Emily are all leaving the med surg nurses while you guys are on vacation? You don't want to stay at work for two weeks?" Nope. Nope I am good.

I thought that was what NOC meant.

Those stickers cost more than the purchase price I am sure - DCL is fining folks who put stickers on the walls, doors, and other places that can't just be pulled off without leaving a mark. We saw a few cabins with pink words that they had tried to paint over - someone has written on the door in markers I guess.

I haven't told my boss yet - don't have to until Jan, but since the time off isn't "prime" time, they can't refuse me the time off (28+ years has got some perks!)

Good Sunday Morning everyone,

Hanging Stuff: COMMAND hooks, and hangers are terrific, hold well, come off easily and leave no marks what-so-ever. We used a bunch on our last 12 night cruise for all sorts of things in the room, on the door and have used the tiny ones on promenade view windows to hang mini- Christmas lights on our New Years cruises.

Group Table: just a thought - If it is hard to get the center table, how about requesting one or two by the windows? That way, if we are over 10 or 12 people, we can all still be sort-of together. We traveled with a group of 80 many years ago and we had a whole little section just to ourself. It was fun.

David- I will create, or try, to do a google spread sheet for car pool and get you the link.

Padalyn: Going to try and message you re FB. My settings are such that only friends of friends can find me on FB. If you have my EM, will I still need to change my settings?

Careers: Well, I'm an RN also. I am also a certified teacher ( grades K- Jr. College ) and my latest career is/was attorney. I'm in the process of fully winding down and fully retiring and would like to go back to a hospital 1-2 days/week... maybe. My nursing was primarily maternal-child mostly in L& D; my 'lawyering' has been mostly family/criminal/juvenile/ mental health commitments ( so talk about certifiable!!!) - which is what I'm doing this week and next. I also taught at the vocational HS magnet school for 6 years with both the lowest functioning kids and the 'gifted and talented' kids as well.
My next career is working at a store at WDW ; ) Anybody have any pull?
Hubby: he is a finance guy. Business/Economics/Accounting. Sounds boring but he really isn't.

Maria
(MMBL)

Good Sunday Morning everyone,

Hanging Stuff: COMMAND hooks, and hangers are terrific, hold well, come off easily and leave no marks what-so-ever. We used a bunch on our last 12 night cruise for all sorts of things in the room, on the door and have used the tiny ones on promenade view windows to hang mini- Christmas lights on our New Years cruises.

Group Table: just a thought - If it is hard to get the center table, how about requesting one or two by the windows? That way, if we are over 10 or 12 people, we can all still be sort-of together. We traveled with a group of 80 many years ago and we had a whole little section just to ourself. It was fun.

David- I will create, or try, to do a google spread sheet for car pool and get you the link.

Padalyn: Going to try and message you re FB. My settings ate such that only friends of friends can find me on FB. If you have my EM, will I still need to change my settings?

Careers: Well, I'm an RN also. I am also a certified teacher ( grades K- Jr. College ) and my latest career is/was attorney. I'm in the process of fully winding down and fully retiring and would like to go back to a hospital 1-2 days/week... maybe. My nursing was primarily maternal-child mostly in L& D; my 'lawyering' has been mostly family/criminal/juvenile/ mental health commitments ( so talk about certifiable!!!) - which is what I'm doing this week and next. I also taught at the vocational HS magnet school for 6 years with both the lowest functioning kids and the 'gifted and talented' kids as well.
My next career is working at a store at WDW ; ) Anybody have any pull?
Hubby: he is a finance guy. Business/Economics/Accounting. Sounds boring but he really isn't.

Maria
(MMBL)
Maria - just PM me the email address you have attached to FB. You should not have to change any settings, but lets see. This is a private group, so you should be alright. However, if not - we will see what you have to do.

Cayla

I thought that was what NOC meant.

I haven't told my boss yet - don't have to until Jan, but since the time off isn't "prime" time, they can't refuse me the time off (28+ years has got some perks!)

It's not prime time, but originally it was going to be Leannda-NOC CNA, Em- NOC CNA, Stacie-days RN, Chara-days RN, Bonnie- days RN, and Cathy days RN. So I didn't want us all to request and suddenly our boss denies us all. So I put in my first and last days. I need the fill in days but I think I should be good.... I have my sister's wedding that I need to ask for time off too. I just don't want my boss to be like "you're asking for too much time off..."

you are welcome. I have updated the spreadsheet of who is who on the FB page.

Just a thought here...on previous cruises, people have built webpages to keep all the information in one location OR have created massive spreadsheets with numerous pages to also corral the information. Not sure if anyone wants to tackle something like that. I do not have the software to create a webpage, but could look into if if there is enough interest.

Cayla

I think that is a GREAT idea Cayla!!! How does everyone else feel about our own personal web page?!?? I am not talented on a computer at all. (All thumbs and toes!!! It's an ugly site...............you don't want any more info then that!!! DW says how in the heck do you type like that???):lmao: I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

In case there is anyone new...... I've got a Google spreadsheet set up for people to add their names if they'd like to share a table with other cruisers on this board. Just send me a PM and I'll give you the url of the sheet. You can then add you own information to the list. I thought keeping it as private as possible by not publishing the url to the world was a good idea :)

I think the webpage is a good idea, too, though it requires a lot more maintenance than the FB page. A blog is another idea that wouldn't require as much hands-on care as a web page would. There are places to get free blogs, but I don't know how private they can be.

Karen

I'm not a website person. I don't have that skill set. I am good at pinterest. I have a Disney pinterest board that is awesome.

I know it is a bit early, but just wanted to pass this info on. In Cozumel, we have gone to a private beach club . Nachi Cocom, on a couple of occassions. We like it because it is away from the crowds, pretty quiet, the food and drinks are decent and the cost is reasonable. It is probably what we will do again in Cozumel. If you want to do this, you must make reservations as they do have a max number or guests per day and do not go over it.

For more info:
http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

If you haven't been to Cozumel before, the National Park Chankanaab is a nice place to spend the day.
Their link is:
http://www.visitmexico.com/en/chankanaab-park-in-cozumel-quintana-roo-mexico

Neither place is too far from the port and taxi fares have been reasonable in the past and readily available at both sites.

Any ideas for other ports?
We have been to Puerto Vallarta when staying at a resort in Nuevo Vallarta so we are open to suggestions on port day activites there; We have never been to Cabo San Lucas or Cartagena so if you have any suggestions, thoughts and ideas, we could use those as well.

The last time we were in Cozumel, we went to Mr. Sanchos. They have an AI side where we paid $50 per adult (forgot the kid's price) which covered unlimited drinks and food, loungers, table/chair, etc., snorkel mask and fins, and use of the pool. There is also an a la carte side which has their own pool and loungers. That side is free to use, but they want you to buy drinks and food. We did the AI option. Food was good, drinks plentiful and service excellent. Our waiter kept coming buy with drinks for us to try in addition to our ordered drinks. There are hammocks and sun beds for our use if we are early enough to claim them.

We have timeshares in both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and have had plenty of beach time there, so we are planning on walking around town and having a good Mexican lunch. Even though Disney is sailing in Mexican waters, we have found that they offer no "real" Mexican food during the cruise. Maros in Cabo has a lobster+steak plate for around $16 and the best $5 margaritas. They also have a huge beer/tequila/lemonade michelada which will quench anyone's thirst after the hot walk there. Lots of good seafood and Mexican restaurants in Cabo. Puerto Vallarta has a large downtown with shops, restaurants and a historical church.

There are a few AI resorts in both Cabo and PV which welcome cruisers, but I am not sure on the cost. Some will allow cruisers to use their facilities if they buy food and drinks. Medano Beach in Cabo has many beach bars that will allow cruisers to use their loungers if they buy something. They have good food and 2 for 1 drinks. A few have a lot of adult rated drinking games, so check them out before sitting down if you have kids with you.

The last time we were in Cozumel, we went to Mr. Sanchos. They have an AI side where we paid $50 per adult (forgot the kid's price) which covered unlimited drinks and food, loungers, table/chair, etc., snorkel mask and fins, and use of the pool. There is also an a la carte side which has their own pool and loungers. That side is free to use, but they want you to buy drinks and food. We did the AI option. Food was good, drinks plentiful and service excellent. Our waiter kept coming buy with drinks for us to try in addition to our ordered drinks. There are hammocks and sun beds for our use if we are early enough to claim them.

We have timeshares in both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and have had plenty of beach time there, so we are planning on walking around town and having a good Mexican lunch. Even though Disney is sailing in Mexican waters, we have found that they offer no "real" Mexican food during the cruise. Maros in Cabo has a lobster+steak plate for around $16 and the best $5 margaritas. They also have a huge beer/tequila/lemonade michelada which will quench anyone's thirst after the hot walk there. Lots of good seafood and Mexican restaurants in Cabo. Puerto Vallarta has a large downtown with shops, restaurants and a historical church.

There are a few AI resorts in both Cabo and PV which welcome cruisers, but I am not sure on the cost. Some will allow cruisers to use their facilities if they buy food and drinks. Medano Beach in Cabo has many beach bars that will allow cruisers to use their loungers if they buy something. They have good food and 2 for 1 drinks. A few have a lot of adult rated drinking games, so check them out before sitting down if you have kids with you.

Thanks! Will check out Medano Beach on Trip Advisor now.

In Cozumel there's a little town square/plaza. My dad took me for margaritas there. And we looked around the town. This time around I want to find the synagogue. I really want to explore the town and see the temple, have some yummy Mexican food. I kinda' am nervous about Columbia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter