• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

Anyone else concerned about Hurricane season during our trip? Seeing the weather for both the east and west coasts of Mexico today, my travel radar is going off. We've cruised during hurricane season before, but most ships can get around storms; going through the canal is a rather limiting option and if its storming on us, there isn't really anywhere else for the ship to go!

Anyone else concerned about Hurricane season during our trip? Seeing the weather for both the east and west coasts of Mexico today, my travel radar is going off. We've cruised during hurricane season before, but most ships can get around storms; going through the canal is a rather limiting option and if its storming on us, there isn't really anywhere else for the ship to go!

I cruise mostly during hurricane season. Fares are cheaper and weather is usually good. Besides I have an ironclad stomach so I don't get seasick. I've been watching the hurricanes for a while and haven't seen a lot if activity near panama so I think odds are with us.

Ok, ok, ok, ok, Sorry everyone. I was going to post yesterday, but had to go out for a while and that turned into an all day errand. (That's what I get for volunteering to lend a hand!!! DW keeps telling me to keep my big fat mouth shut!!! Why don't I listen to her!!!:confused3)

This was my stupid attempt at trying to be funny..................and I blew it. Sorry everyone. Nothing serious. What I was talking about is that DW and I are going on a cruise..........................but not a Disney Cruise!!! We are going on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas in about 3 weeks. I was going to say something like I felt like we were being traitors or something along those lines. How I felt like we let everyone down by not sailing Disney. Anyway, a stupid idea on my part. Hope ya'll can forgive me for posting a stupid thing like that.

I do have a question for all of my fellow cruisers who fly often. DW and I haven't flown in gosh, it must be something like 15 or 20 years. Do you have to pay extra to get two seats together on a plane? The last time we flew that was not a problem or even an option. When you made reservations for two the seats were together. But we have heard you have to pay extra to get two seats together, is this true? Thanks everyone, and again, so sorry for the stupid idea I had. (I'm full of bad ideas...............just ask DW.............she'll tell you it's true!!!):rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Whew!!! glad you are still coming with us!!! :banana:

Now, we fly United mostly because Dave's business travel was mostly on United and he got perks. When we book, we get to choose our seats and if the seats are open, we can book them together. There is an upcharge if you get in the Economy Plus seats, which we usually do because Dave has long legs. There is also an upcharge on aisle and window seats. I always get stuck in teh middle because the aforementioned legs are always in the aisle seat. I believe Delta has the same arrangement. So it's not about seats together so much but you would have to book either an aisle or window in addition to a middle seat.

See how much we would miss you? :hug:

I saw this question over on the FB page and thought I would post what our experience was on our previous EBPC.

Here is the schedule we had on our previous EBPC in 2008
1--Cruise casual
2--Formal
3-7--Cruise casual
8---semi formal
9-13-Cruise casual
14---formal
15--Cruise casual
Since this is a 14 night vice a 15 night, I would hazard a guess the second formal night would be on the 13th night as that is an 'at sea' day as is the second night. Pirate night was the night before our second formal night. hope this helps people with their planning!

Ok, ok, ok, ok, Sorry everyone. I was going to post yesterday, but had to go out for a while and that turned into an all day errand. (That's what I get for volunteering to lend a hand!!! DW keeps telling me to keep my big fat mouth shut!!! Why don't I listen to her!!!:confused3)

This was my stupid attempt at trying to be funny..................and I blew it. Sorry everyone. Nothing serious. What I was talking about is that DW and I are going on a cruise..........................but not a Disney Cruise!!! We are going on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas in about 3 weeks. I was going to say something like I felt like we were being traitors or something along those lines. How I felt like we let everyone down by not sailing Disney. Anyway, a stupid idea on my part. Hope ya'll can forgive me for posting a stupid thing like that.

I do have a question for all of my fellow cruisers who fly often. DW and I haven't flown in gosh, it must be something like 15 or 20 years. Do you have to pay extra to get two seats together on a plane? The last time we flew that was not a problem or even an option. When you made reservations for two the seats were together. But we have heard you have to pay extra to get two seats together, is this true? Thanks everyone, and again, so sorry for the stupid idea I had. (I'm full of bad ideas...............just ask DW.............she'll tell you it's true!!!):rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Since I was the first to post after your attempt at a joke, I apologize for jumping on the worst case scenario band wagon. Happy to hear you are still sailing with us and to find out what a horrid comic you are. :rotfl2:

One reason we like Southwest is that their prices are good, and because they also allow two checked bags without a surcharge. You can't book them through places like Expedia or Priceline.... you have to go direct. We like them, but they're not for everybody.... no frills. But the price is right :)

Can I pack snacks in my purse? Do they serve drinks on long flights? We want to use Southwest due to the baggage allowances but I don't want to be uncomfortable for 6 or 7 hours. I haven't flown anywhere since 1995 and that was just from Ky to Fl.

I saw this question over on the FB page and thought I would post what our experience was on our previous EBPC.

Here is the schedule we had on our previous EBPC in 2008
1--Cruise casual
2--Formal
3-7--Cruise casual
8---semi formal
9-13-Cruise casual
14---formal
15--Cruise casual
Since this is a 14 night vice a 15 night, I would hazard a guess the second formal night would be on the 13th night as that is an 'at sea' day as is the second night. Pirate night was the night before our second formal night. hope this helps people with their planning!

So there are 2 formal nights, a semi-formal night, AND pirate night? I want to make sure that I bring all the clothing I need. I don't think I will need to buy anything but in case I do, I've found a website that has amazing priced cocktail and formal dresses. Might be an excuse to get a new "lil black dress" :cool1:

Hello everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that unfortunately DH and I will be cancelling this cruise. Some good friends have talked us into going on a Russian River cruise with them and sadly the dates conflict. I am planning on rescheduling for the WBPC if that is available for 2015. Have a great cruise. You guys are a great group and we know we are missing out on all the fun you will be having.
Happy Sailing.

Hello everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that unfortunately DH and I will be cancelling this cruise. Some good friends have talked us into going on a Russian River cruise with them and sadly the dates conflict. I am planning on rescheduling for the WBPC if that is available for 2015. Have a great cruise. You guys are a great group and we know we are missing out on all the fun you will be having.
Happy Sailing.

:sad1: Sorry that you will not be joining us. I am sure you will have a good time with your friends on your River Cruise.

Thank goodness everything is ok and that you will be still be on our cruise. :cool1: I am sure that you are going to enjoy RC.

Hello everyone,
Happy Sailing.

Sorry you won't be sailing with us, but how exciting to sail the Russian rivers! Enjoy!!!

Hello everyone,
Happy Sailing.

My parents love river cruises. So have fun! Do good things!

---

Okay glad it was nothing serious David! Had me worried thinking it was your son or something....

I'm looking at holiday scrubs (because I'm required to wear teal/Caribbean blue throughout the year. Only fun scrubs on the holidays) because my current ones don't fit. All the ones I'm finding and liking are Disney ones. Which I'm okay with, but I'm known as the Disney dork at work. I found a really rad Snow White, but more the Evil Queen/old lady with the apple theme that's really dark... thinking of that for Halloween or a Thor shirt. :D

My parents love river cruises. So have fun! Do good things!

---

Okay glad it was nothing serious David! Had me worried thinking it was your son or something....

I'm looking at holiday scrubs (because I'm required to wear teal/Caribbean blue throughout the year. Only fun scrubs on the holidays) because my current ones don't fit. All the ones I'm finding and liking are Disney ones. Which I'm okay with, but I'm known as the Disney dork at work. I found a really rad Snow White, but more the Evil Queen/old lady with the apple theme that's really dark... thinking of that for Halloween or a Thor shirt. :D

Ohh, love the EQ/Apple Witch theme!! When I was a corpsman in the Navy, all we could wear was the green. :P Of course back then, there were no great colors and designs, etc. Guess I am dating myself!!! :goodvibes

annyone got the latest ediotion of the passporter cruise editon and tell me if it is a good one im looking to give it to me as a christmas gift

Hello everyone,
Happy Sailing.

Betty, sorry you and your DH won't be sailing with us. But, that Russian River cruise sounds great. Have a wonderful time on the river cruise and hope the WBPC is available for you in 2015. Hopefully we will meet on another Disney Cruise in the future!!!:thumbsup2

Since I was the first to post after your attempt at a joke, I apologize for jumping on the worst case scenario band wagon. Happy to hear you are still sailing with us and to find out what a horrid comic you are. :rotfl2:

You are right about me being a horrid comic Susan. DW will second that!!! I'm so glad everyone was so understanding. Thank you all. (Note to self: Self never do that again..............EVER.)

I cruise mostly during hurricane season. Fares are cheaper and weather is usually good. Besides I have an ironclad stomach so I don't get seasick. I've been watching the hurricanes for a while and haven't seen a lot if activity near panama so I think odds are with us.

We agree with Steve on this. We most usually cruise in the hurricane season as well, for the very same reasons Steve mentioned. We have never had a problem. We too feel confident that all will be well.

We agree with Steve on this. We most usually cruise in the hurricane season as well, for the very same reasons Steve mentioned. We have never had a problem. We too feel confident that all will be well.

I third it! ships are well adept at going around storms if there are any and if you go to WDW in the summer, they can't move IT out of the path of a storm is the way I look at it! ;)

Thank you all for your good wishes. Hope to meet some of you on future cruises. Bon Voyage.

The idea of the possibility of a hurricane never occurred to me until I watched the Weather Channel the other day and heard a report about one, but I know that cruises do a bang up job (no pun intended) of skirting around them but.....IT COULD MEAN AN EXTRA DAY ONBOARD :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: so it maybe not be such a bad thing.

Ohh, love the EQ/Apple Witch theme!! When I was a corpsman in the Navy, all we could wear was the green. :P Of course back then, there were no great colors and designs, etc. Guess I am dating myself!!! :goodvibes

Dating yourself? Narcissist!! And what does your wife have to say about this? :sad2:

I was an HM1, Coast Guard though, but went to several navy B schools. Didn't wear scrubs much as I was on independent duty most of the time. DW is a vet and lives in scrubs, could be why she spends so much on clothes prior to each cruise. I can't really dipute it when she says she has nothing to wear..:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter