Wonder v. Dream - seasickness and other comparisons

Flasailors

Earning My Ears
Hi DCLers:

We have been on the Dream and loved it. We are now considering a 4 day Bahamas cruise either on the Wonder (from Miami) or the Dream again, spring 2016. Is there updated technology on the newer ships that would make the risk of seasickness lower, compared to the older ships? We did not have a problem on the Dream, but a couple of people in our party are prone to it. Any other thoughts on one ship over the other? Better kids' clubs, restaurants, activities, staterooms, etc.? I've been trying to do my research and I see very mixed comments, so appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!
Flasailors

Oddly enough, I didn't have any seasickness issues on the magic or wonder, but I did on the Fantasy. I was sick for the first couple of days. It probably just depends on the weather & route the ship is on...who really knows.

All 4 vessels have state of the art stabilizers and programing, there will really but no difference between the classic and dream class. My daughter had a friend with her once and she gets motion sickness watching cars on the road!

We had her call her doctor and get the meds the Doctor thought best for her, it worked great.

I would suggest you try the same idea with the people in your party that may have a problem.

Have a great cruise.

AKK

All 4 vessels have state of the art stabilizers and programing, there will really but no difference between the classic and dream class. My daughter had a friend with her once and she gets motion sickness watching cars on the road!

We had her call her doctor and get the meds the Doctor thought best for her, it worked great.

I would suggest you try the same idea with the people in your party that may have a problem.

Have a great cruise.

AKK
Agree.

I have been on all 4 ships (the Magic after it was redone and had larger stabilizers). The first time one the Wonder, I felt a bit queasy but I was pregnant in my first trimester so it's not a good indicator. I did go back on the Wonder recently and felt slightly queasy 3 days out of 5 days and actually needed to take Bonine. I never felt anything on the Magic or the Fantasy. We've done the Dream the most 6 out of our 10 cruises and I only felt slight motion on it one day out of all the days. If you go on the Wonder before they redo it, it won't have the larger stabilizers b/c it won't fit in the Panama Canal so you may feel something. That being said, once I took Bonine, I was fine. I guess it depends on how sensitive a person is. Typically I don't get motion sickness.

The Magic and Wonder stabilizers are the same size. The magic's were not changed. When passing though the Panama canal, they are fully retracted and in no way effect the transit though the Canal.

The previous poster may be referring to the Duck tails.

AKK

The Magic and Wonder stabilizers are the same size. The magic's were not changed. When passing though the Panama canal, they are fully retracted and in no way effect the transit though the Canal.

The previous poster may be referring to the Duck tails.

AKK

Clearly I am no ship builder. Regardless I felt more on the Wonder than any other ship for whatever reason. I'm not sensitive to motion sickness as I said but it was noticeable to me on the Wonder and not the other ships. Take it for what it's worth. It could be anecdotal but it was my experience.

Clearly I am no ship builder. Regardless I felt more on the Wonder than any other ship for whatever reason. I'm not sensitive to motion sickness as I said but it was noticeable to me on the Wonder and not the other ships. Take it for what it's worth. It could be anecdotal but it was my experience.
What deck were you on? They will have an affect. Sea conditions also will have an affect.

No disrespect intended, I am sure your experiences are quite valid. However any number of other things could be the cause of the Wonder having more motion. Wind direction and speed, seas and swells/ direction, size and speed, current, direction and speed and depth of water. Lastly, as noted above, the location of your cabin on the ship.

AKK

No disrespect intended, I am sure your experiences are quite valid. However any number of other things could be the cause of the Wonder having more motion. Wind direction and speed, seas and swells/ direction, size and speed, current, direction and speed and depth of water. Lastly, as noted above, the location of your cabin on the ship.

AKK

No disrespect taken, I'm not that sensitive and always find it amusing when people get so offended on the boards by total strangers. All is good :-) and I always love hearing other DCL enthusiast's experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter