Wonder to the Land of the Midnight Sun~~~August 20th 2012~~~

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure the kids will meet in the club. My bet is that mine will want to be there most of the ti,e. I was wondering is there a way to already know your restaurant assignments? I went through all the paperwork at my MIL's house last night and other then knowing we have 1st seating I am not sure what restaurants we have. If I am understanding correctly it depends on which ones you have that you do character breakfast a certain morning? I was hoping to make a PALO reservation to surprise my MIL as a thank you but want to do it on a good night.

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure the kids will meet in the club. My bet is that mine will want to be there most of the ti,e. I was wondering is there a way to already know your restaurant assignments? I went through all the paperwork at my MIL's house last night and other then knowing we have 1st seating I am not sure what restaurants we have. If I am understanding correctly it depends on which ones you have that you do character breakfast a certain morning? I was hoping to make a PALO reservation to surprise my MIL as a thank you but want to do it on a good night.

I don't think there is any way to know your assignments ahead of time. I put in a dining rotation ahead of time with my travel agent--but it is just a request and not a guarantee. I don't think we find out the dining rotation until we check-in. You can always call Disney and ask. Most of the PALO reservations you can book ahead of time are gone right now anyhow, but I've heard they hold some for booking on-board.

:donald: Two more weeks! :donald:

And, I received the email this morning that my fish extender is shipping today! Things are coming together here. The pile of stuff I'm planning on packing is growing at an alarming rate though and it doesn't include clothing yet...yikes! :rotfl2:

I got my Fish Extender.... I got my magnet.... the gifts are 99% complete. August 20 can't get here fast enough!!

We took our kiddos down to the beach again tonight and watched the Wonder cruise past! Two more weeks and we'll be on board. I'm estimating she sailed by us right at the time we'll be sitting down to dinner in two weeks.

Sorry to be AOWL for a while was on a business trips and then did 5 day husband/wife only vacation trip.
Just got back over the weekend and realized there were only 2 weeks left before the cruise. EEEKKKK.
So now I am franticly trying to make my FE and the FE gifts, as well as book the excursions.
I seem to have misplaced the spreadsheet that was sent out last week for the FE group.
Could it be resent to me?
I also have my cabin number: 7064

Thanks so much

Wow, it has been a crazy month!

Yes, we did move from Southern California to Seattle! I flew up here on 7/15 and started work and it's been crazy. It will be nice to get out on the ship.

A few things:

1) I filled out the google doc but just filled it out today so it's really late. If I'm too late for FE that's fine and I understand completely. If I'm able to get in as a last minute add on, please let me know so that I can get all the FEs made/purchased.

2) Anyone know when Pirate's night is and when the lobster dinner is? I'd like to book a Palo reservation but want to avoid these 2 nights.

3) If anyone wants tips on what to do in Seattle, I can probably offer some mild advice. It has only been 3 weeks since I moved here but I live a block away from the Space needle so I see tourists all the time. The Space needle is ok, the monorail to downtown is kind of fun, the big wheel is running, Pike Place Market is cool, the first starbucks is interesting, etc.

Anyway, sorry for being totally MIA but I'm back now...

RVD.

I do feel bad letting some people enter info on the Google doc after the deadline passed when other people aren't able to do it. :( I just don't have the supplies to make more gifts.

I can't even imagine! We are all about Disney now in our house and I think every day there is more stuff being delivered that relates to the cruise. Yesterday the over-the-door shoe holder (for organizing room stuff) arrived that I won on ebay for super cheap. Hopefully today's mail will bring my FE that was shipped on Monday.

I did finally find Bonine for Kids in our local grocery store this week. It seems to have been discontinued, so I count myself lucky that it was still there. I had searched everywhere else with no luck and looked a lot of places online, but I wasn't willing to pay an arm and a leg. Now I need to continue searching for the "less drowsy" form of Bonine. I bought the last of what was available at Target and they are unable to order more--and I can't find it online. Frustrating! I don't want to deal with Dramamine.

I can't even imagine! We are all about Disney now in our house and I think every day there is more stuff being delivered that relates to the cruise. Yesterday the over-the-door shoe holder (for organizing room stuff) arrived that I won on ebay for super cheap. Hopefully today's mail will bring my FE that was shipped on Monday.

I did finally find Bonine for Kids in our local grocery store this week. It seems to have been discontinued, so I count myself lucky that it was still there. I had searched everywhere else with no luck and looked a lot of places online, but I wasn't willing to pay an arm and a leg. Now I need to continue searching for the "less drowsy" form of Bonine. I bought the last of what was available at Target and they are unable to order more--and I can't find it online. Frustrating! I don't want to deal with Dramamine.

I have never given my two kids versions of Bonine, we just snap the tablets in half or quarters to give them. Son have been taking since about 2/3 years old small amounts when needed. The dr approved small amounts for the kids. Might give a call to drs office for confirmation to avoid the stress of not having enough.

I did ask our doctor and all he would suggest is Dramamine--which I have read yucky things about.

Thanks for further confirmation about breaking the Bonine. I've read that elsewhere, but nobody posted about giving it to anyone younger than about ten and my youngest is six. That is helpful info to have whether we need it for this cruise or future cruises. I was prepared to just give my kiddos half a Bonine tablet if necessary.

Do your kids typically have a problem with seasickness on cruises?

My son has always been fine. My wife has an issue with seasickness on boats but she's usually fine on cruise ships since they're so big. There is definitely movement and swaying but usually not too bad.

You can also try those wrist bands that put slight pressure against a nerve. I have tried those and they never seemed to work for me but some people like them.

Dramamine was like taking a sleeping pill. Bonine is better but even bonine is kind of drowsy.

Do your kids typically have a problem with seasickness on cruises?

My son has always been fine. My wife has an issue with seasickness on boats but she's usually fine on cruise ships since they're so big. There is definitely movement and swaying but usually not too bad.

You can also try those wrist bands that put slight pressure against a nerve. I have tried those and they never seemed to work for me but some people like them.

Dramamine was like taking a sleeping pill. Bonine is better but even bonine is kind of drowsy.

We've never been on a cruise, so I don't really know. They've grown up on ferries (we have big ferries here in Washington!) but that isn't really the same.

My daughter gets carsick fairly easily though and she really is the one I'm worried about. As she is getting older (she is 8 now) it is getting worse. She mostly is the one I'm concerned about, but I'd rather have the meds for both of them. (I have the bands too...just in case!)

I'm hoping she won't need the meds beyond the first few days--at least I've read things calm down after that.

Wow, it has been a crazy month!

Yes, we did move from Southern California to Seattle! I flew up here on 7/15 and started work and it's been crazy. It will be nice to get out on the ship.

A few things:

1) I filled out the google doc but just filled it out today so it's really late. If I'm too late for FE that's fine and I understand completely. If I'm able to get in as a last minute add on, please let me know so that I can get all the FEs made/purchased.

2) Anyone know when Pirate's night is and when the lobster dinner is? I'd like to book a Palo reservation but want to avoid these
3) If anyone wants tips on what to do in Seattle, I can probably offer

mild advice. It has only been 3 weeks since I moved here but I live a block away from the Space needle so I see tourists all the time. The Space needle is ok, the monorail to downtown is kind of fun, the big wheel is running, Pike Place Market is cool, the first starbucks is interesting, etc

Anyway, sorry for being totally MIA but I'm back now...

RVD.

Hello! I believe pirate night is on Friday, the day we are in Juneau. I am still waiting for my FE to come in the mail. Starting to worry a little bit, I might be the one with a gift bag on my fish hook. LOL.
Anyone's thoughts on zip line for my 7 year old? Do you think 7 (almost) 8 is
to young? He really wants to rock climb but you need to be 8.

Also I am worried about getting seasick, my friends told me to eat a green apple everyday, and that will help.

My only thought on the ziplining is that a seven year old might not weigh enough to get the full effect of ziplining. I was reading a trip report (a few months ago, so of course I can't remember what trip report it was) where a twelve year old didn't weigh enough and was having to get pulled part of the way in each time. Other than that, I don't see what the problem would be as long as fear isn't an issue.

I would check with the tour group on minimum age/weight for zip lining. I did it once in Mexico and it would not have been appropriate for a 7 year old (we were hundreds of feet up above the trees, you needed some weight to make it all the way, etc. It wasn't necessarily dangerous but they were very strict on making sure everyone had proper shoes, clothing, no dangling stuff, no cameras allowed (for safety), etc.

As for seasickness, it is hard to say but most cruise ships that I have been on have been pretty good. There are times when the sea is rough and you get more of a rocking motion but usually it's just a slight swaying motion (just feels kind of funny).

My wife gets carsick and sea sick a lot so she actually got prescription stuff (the thing that goes behind your ear) for our first cruise but she later realized in future cruises that she didn't need it. It's hard to gauge because those meds don't actually work if you take them after you're sea sick but if you take them before...how do you know if it's the meds that prevented you from being sick or if you don't need the meds?

oh well...can't wait!

I have Palo brunch scheduled for day 3 (Tracy Arm) and Palo dinner for day 4 (Skagway).

I have enjoyed Palo dinner in the past but have never had the brunch. Does anyone know what brunch is like?

I also hear that the view is nice so hopefully it'll be great for Tracy Arm.

Also, for anyone who cares, Palo reservations always fill up early online but if you go straight to the reservations area (they usually set it up in one of the rooms (e.g. Wavebands, etc.)) after you get on the ship, they have plenty of availability. And if you're wondering...yes, it's worth the $20 surcharge. I just don't like missing out on pirate's dinner or the lobster dinner in the main room.

Also, I have been on this ship a few times in the past so I know it fairly well if anyone has questions, etc.

A few quick tips from me:

1) bring a power strip - very handy to charge batteries, laptop, etc.

2) bring a refillable water bottle - they have free soda on the top so it's nice to fill up so you have soda in your room. I am trying to cut down on my soda intake but free soda is too tempting.

3) You can buy pirate's gear on ship but it's cheaper if you buy it in advance.

4) If you like wine, you can bring wine onboard. Your room steward will give you a corkscrew. You can always order wine or you can fill up a glass from your room and walk it to dinner if you're a cheapo (it'll be as if you are walking to dinner from one of the bars).

5) If your kids are picky eaters, they'll usually accommodate. I know my kid ate like mac & cheese every day on one of our cruises. He also got mickey mouse ice cream pretty much every day. The ice cream station on the top is pretty nice.

6) I like the burgers and hot dogs for lunch by the pool. I like it more than the buffet or waiting around forever in one of the dining rooms.

7) The gym is pretty busy the first morning. By the end of the cruise, it's empty. Kind of like New Years resolutions right?

8) Shore excursions are cool if you have a "can't miss" type of activity that you want to do for sure. But I usually just walk off the ship and play it by ear...there are usually a lot of folks off the ship trying to sell you tours and stuff like that.

For Skagway, I rented a car with Avis. I plan to drive part of the Yukon trail. We'll see how that goes...

T minus 11 days....can't wait!

We're doing brunch at Palo on Tracy Arm day too--I'm hoping for some great views! I only wish the chocolate souffle was served at brunch. *sigh* We're not doing dinner (I want to do family dinners) so clearly we'll have to book another cruise so I can try that dessert. I haven't told my husband about Palo yet. Shh!

We're renting a car from Avis for Skagway too. Did you get Murray's Guide? It is fantastic! I read reviews for it here and on Cruise Critic and ended up downloading it for $5. It is well worth the price--I highly recommend it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter