• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder Returns to Galveston - November 6, 2015

I am booking this next week while on the Dream, DH and I have the NYE cruise out of Galveston already booked, but I need this one to make Platinum, woo hoo!! I already asked to join the FB page, will jump into the FE also and read back through the posts.
We did the Magic when she was here in Galveston in 2013, and so glad Disney decided to come back to TX!
Looking forward to chatting, we have DH's 50th birthday planned on the Dream for a short cruise out of PC in September!
Elaine:cool1:

I am booking this next week while on the Dream, DH and I have the NYE cruise out of Galveston already booked, but I need this one to make Platinum, woo hoo!! I already asked to join the FB page, will jump into the FE also and read back through the posts.
We did the Magic when she was here in Galveston in 2013, and so glad Disney decided to come back to TX!
Looking forward to chatting, we have DH's 50th birthday planned on the Dream for a short cruise out of PC in September!
:welcome: I also look forward to chatting, i know our cruise is SO far out, but I hope our thread and my other thread picks up soon. :goodvibes

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I emailed the user that was starting the fe to get a little more information on how it works. My husband and I are booked on this cruise along with 11 other members of our family. For us this will be our second cruise with disney and we are very excited:) so any information would be greatly appreciated! The first cruise we booked we just kind of booked last minute and didn't get a chance to do anything like this!

I hope that you had a great time on the Dream :thumbsup2. We are also doing a quick 3 night in November on the Dream that will get us to Platinum. :goodvibes We also have the NYE out of Galveston booked, but we are up in the air as to whether we will do that one. We did the 4 night NYE out of Galveston last NYE and it was really cold. We shall see how we feel by the PIF date on that one.

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I emailed the user that was starting the fe to get a little more information on how it works. My husband and I are booked on this cruise along with 11 other members of our family. For us this will be our second cruise with disney and we are very excited:) so any information would be greatly appreciated! The first cruise we booked we just kind of booked last minute and didn't get a chance to do anything like this!

Welcome! :cheer2: What a great family gathering you have going on this cruise! What was your other cruise with Disney, did you go out of Galveston, FL,CA or some other itinerary?

There is a lot of information on doing the FE that I can steal from other threads and I will post it onto Post #2 on this thread. :goodvibes

Yes our first cruise was with disney we sailed out of Florida and went to Nassau, and castaway cay. It was only a 4 day cruise, because we wanted to make sure we really enjoyed it to book a longer cruise!m I'll take a look at that post! Thanks everyone!!

Yes our first cruise was with disney we sailed out of Florida and went to Nassau, and castaway cay. It was only a 4 day cruise, because we wanted to make sure we really enjoyed it to book a longer cruise!m I'll take a look at that post! Thanks everyone!!

Sailing out of Galveston is a different experience but we prefer it over the flight and/or drive to Port Canaveral. I am happy to answer any questions that I can. Too bad it's not THIS November!

Sailing out of Galveston is a different experience but we prefer it over the flight and/or drive to Port Canaveral. I am happy to answer any questions that I can. Too bad it's not THIS November!
Hello, what is different about sailing out of Galveston? Since this is only our second cruise and first time out of Galveston, I was curious. Thank you!

Yes we drove from Oklahoma to Florida for our first cruise, we will drive to Galveston for this one as well but we will take the 8 hours compared to the 24 hours :) is there any difference from porting out of Galveston compared to Florida?

Hello, I joined the Facebook group and sent an e-mail to join the fish extender group. We are very excited! This is our second Disney cruise but first time to be a part of the fish extender group!

Hello and welcome!! :yay: Glad that you have managed to find the fish extender group info etc. It's good to see some activity here recently, even though we have quite a while to try and be patient before our cruise. :)

Hello, what is different about sailing out of Galveston? Since this is only our second cruise and first time out of Galveston, I was curious. Thank you!

Yes we drove from Oklahoma to Florida for our first cruise, we will drive to Galveston for this one as well but we will take the 8 hours compared to the 24 hours :) is there any difference from porting out of Galveston compared to Florida?

We sailed on DCL 5 times while they were here before leaving in January this year. We've sailed 4 times out of Port Canaveral. Here's my take on Galveston FWIW. :rotfl:

1. Transportation if you are flying in. DCL has the transportation from MCO down to a science. The options changed during the middle of their sailings in Galveston and they switched to only offering transportation from Houston Intercontinental (IAH). For those either wanting to get a rental car, or flying in to Houston Hobby (HOU) there is not a rental car facility on Galveston, so the choices for getting to the port were not as easily arranged, or as cost competitive as travelling from MCO to Port Canaveral. The DCL transporation from IAH seemed to work well though.

2. Cruise Parking - There are several options in Galveston but only one (possibly two if one that was closed reopens) is within walking distance to the terminal, the rest require a shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal. We drop our luggage off at the cruise terminal and then go and park. We find it easier than hauling our luggage with us on the shuttle bus, but they have plenty of room for luggage. You can drop your luggage without having to enter the building and check in the port.

3. Galveston - The Galveston port and water is nowhere near as pretty as Port Canaveral, and the terminal building is used by other cruise lines, so the DCL touches are minimal (and temporary, as in they take them down when the ship leaves port). That said, Galveston is a great place to spend some time before or after the cruise. It's such a small town beach feel - we just love it down there.

4. Check in & security - The check in and security process is very similar to MCO. Stand in line and have your bags scanned, then check in at the desks/fill out your medical questionnaire and get your boarding number. The seating is basic, and they have a check in area for the kids club.

5. Boarding - We found boarding to be similar, if not a little faster, in Galveston. The line for embarkation photos can be a little confusing, but we found it to be the same in PC.

6. Debarkation - We found it to be fairly smooth. The lines can be a little long. You have two options, either pick up your own bags, or have a porter help you. In Galveston it always seems that the line for the porters is a little long, but then we have found that their line through immigration and customs is shorter. Bags are in character designated areas the same as Port Canaveral. Lost and Found is directly as you walk into the baggage hall and is on the left hand side.

7. Weather - There is no doubt that Galveston in November-January can be cooler than Port Canaveral. We sailed on 12/31/13 and it was really, really cold out of Galveston. Coats and blankets weather and they did the NYE celebration inside.

I have a couple of trip reports out of Galveston that are linked in my signature. You are welcome to take a look through those, I have pics of the port etc. We love sailing out of Galveston. It would be similar to sailing out of any other port that is NOT PC, obviously there are differences between a terminal that Disney owns and operates, and one that they are sailing out of for short periods.:goodvibes

This also reminds me that we had a thread going about All Things Galveston that locals had compiled a bunch of information and so I am linking it here. It's full of good stuff. :wizard:

ALL THINGS GALVESTON

Thank you for all of the great information! Is there anywhere in particular you recommend to stay the night before the cruise?

Thank you for all of the great information! Is there anywhere in particular you recommend to stay the night before the cruise?

I can tell you pros and cons of where we have stayed. Everyone's needs are different in terms of space and price, so hopefully it will at least give you something to think about. :goodvibes These assume that you have your own car.

Harbor House:

Pros: Close to the cruise terminal , walking distance (about 3 blocks) with available parking while you are on the cruise, but at an additional fee of $10/day (uncovered). Free parking available at the Galvez. Views of the cruise ships if you are on the side of the hotel that looks that way. On the water overlooking the shipping channel (you can watch the cruise ships come in if you are up early). Very close to the Strand and lots of restaurants within easy walking distance. Continental breakfast included in the price. Shuttle to the cruise terminal included (although it starts at the Galvez hotel first).

Cons: The bathrooms need renovation. The rooms are basic. Although you can walk to the cruise terminal, taking all you luggage with you might be a bit more difficult. (We have dropped bags and then gone back and parked and walked to the terminal). Price can be high for the amenities available depending on time of year/day of week. It has no pool or other amenities but does have privileges at the Galvez. Charges for parking at the hotel or you have to drive to Galvez, park and then take the shuttle to the port.

Tremont House:

Pros: Beautiful old hotel located on the Strand close to lots of restaurants and shops. Lots of amenities, bar restaurant and pool. One of the nicest hotels on the island. Parking included for the duration of the cruise (but not at this hotel, you have to drive to the Galvez and park and then take the shuttle to the port).

Cons: Price. Not within walking distance of the cruise terminal. No parking on site (valet only).

Hilton Galveston Island:

Pros: On the seawall (beach is across the road). Easy walking distance to Rainforest Cafe, IHOP and the San Luis resort. Good amenities with nice pool, restaurant, bar and gym. Offers free cruise parking and shuttle to the port.

Cons: Not close to the cruise terminal. Price. Not close to many restaurants or shops.

The nicest of the three was the Tremont, then the Hilton and lastly Harbor House, but all three have their good points depending on what you are looking for.

ukintheus said:
Is there anyone not on FB that has sent an email requesting to participate in the FE? The following discussion was started on FB, and I am trying to make sure that people here aren't being left out.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer! I am sad ours is coming to an end but that only means we are that much closer to out cruise! We are currently 470 days out that makes me excited! I have been receiving emails for the fish extender! We have quite a few people signed up! As it gets closer I will definitely send out and email update. What is everyone's opinions for fe's? One large group including everyone or a bunch of smaller groups? I have been on cruises that did it both ways so I am open to whatever. Please let me know!

I would prefer a large group but would participate either way. What is our head count as of today?

Anyone else doing NYE from Galvenston?

We have it booked. :thumbsup2 We are still up in the air as to whether we are actually going to take it or not. We did NYE out of Galveston last year and while it was a lot of fun, the weather wasn't that great. I don't believe there is a cruise meet thread started for it yet.

Hi. Just thought to look for this group today. We signed up when the cruise was first announced. Going this time around will be just my husband, me, and our daughter who will be 13 by then. We have two sons as well but one is in college and the other will have graduated college and hopefully be out on his own by then. We were on the Feb 2013 cruise that went to WDW and loved it. I sent a request to join the FB group. I saw someone here is from Oklahoma - so are we! From the Tulsa area, makes Galveston very convenient!

Hi. Just thought to look for this group today. We signed up when the cruise was first announced. Going this time around will be just my husband, me, and our daughter who will be 13 by then. We have two sons as well but one is in college and the other will have graduated college and hopefully be out on his own by then. We were on the Feb 2013 cruise that went to WDW and loved it. I sent a request to join the FB group. I saw someone here is from Oklahoma - so are we! From the Tulsa area, makes Galveston very convenient!

Welcome! pixiedust: We did one of the 8 nights that stopped at WDW from Galveston too - it was one of my favorite itineraries ever! :goodvibes Fun cruise for the 3 of you to take and it isn't a bad drive from Oklahoma, although Tulsa is up there compared to just right across the state line. Do you drive it in one day?

Welcome! pixiedust: We did one of the 8 nights that stopped at WDW from Galveston too - it was one of my favorite itineraries ever! :goodvibes Fun cruise for the 3 of you to take and it isn't a bad drive from Oklahoma, although Tulsa is up there compared to just right across the state line. Do you drive it in one day?

One day straight through. It's about a 9 hour drive. We left after work and missed Dallas and Houston traffic - it was awesome to drive through Houston at 2am and breeze right through!

Hello! Yes, we are from OK. There's a group of 11 of us going. Were from Bartlesville, so just an hour north of you! We thought Galveston would be much more convenient than leaving from Port Canaveral like we did in March. We can't wait until the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter