Wonder refurbishment?

I had also read there were delays due to the switchover in a new government administration who was slow to pay the bills. Construction of anything will *always* have delays. Always. ((Husband and all his family are in engineering & work with multi-billion dollar projects.)) I think some testing of locks has already been done and there were issues. I'm sure much more testing & trouble-shooting still to come. There's no way to know for sure exactly how long beyond this spring this will extent. I would think a full year is a solid buffer to allow. With a spring 2017 actual completion the fall 2016 dry dock is still okay. Definitely a big gamble for Disney. With the steel and other things that have to be ordered and pre-fabbed, it only multiplies the stakes in the game. Tough call. Keeping my eye on it. I'll be personally looking to have a firm yay or nay on the drydock this fall by August. I'm booked on the first sailing post-(assumed)-drydock for the purpose of seeing her freshly reimagined. If no drydock I'm 99% sure I'll be cancelling the booking, maybe moving to a better itinerary. ;)

The way it's worded is "navigation testing" which sounds like they would be running select ships thru to make sure everything is working properly. Kind of like a soft openeing. But I'm thinking from everything that I'm reading about this contractor is that they are in over there heads and that the new locks are going to be even further behind. A lot of the delay is according to popular opinion is that they deliberately under bid and after the fact tried to renegotiate the terms of payment.

How far behind is anyone's guess

If anyone's interested the new locks will be finished by June 2016:
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-pa...o-be-complete-by-end-of-june-operator--2016-2

Of course, whether that means "up and running" or just that they've finished working on them - it doesn't really say.
I kind of does as it says Panama should start to benefit from the expansion in 2017.
That indicates to me that there are many many months of testing still ahead before the locks are fully commissioned and fit for use.

We are on the first cruise after the refurb. Any odds on if that cruise might be cancelled? I hope not but have a vague recollection that the first magic cruise after refurb dry dock was cancelled.

We are on the first cruise after the refurb. Any odds on if that cruise might be cancelled? I hope not but have a vague recollection that the first magic cruise after refurb dry dock was cancelled.
Well, it would depend on what was actually done during the dry dock. The next one is most likely to be a "normal" dry dock from what I can see. Not adding the duck tail and all. Since they seem to be doing the "major re-imagining" in stages on the Wonder, unlike the Magic, I'd think it's not likely that the next cruise will be cancelled. I could be wrong, however.

Hubby & I are booked on the first cruise post-drydock, too. I remember when the first Magic post-drydock was cancelled. If I recall, those people got a nice offer for like 25% off another booking. Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong. I need to go do some searching and look. It's not a huge deal for us if this cruise cancels last minute or even the day of since we live less than 30 minutes from the port. I would feel most terrible for those who have to book air, etc. That would really stink!

Well, it would depend on what was actually done during the dry dock. The next one is most likely to be a "normal" dry dock from what I can see. Not adding the duck tail and all. Since they seem to be doing the "major re-imagining" in stages on the Wonder, unlike the Magic, I'd think it's not likely that the next cruise will be cancelled. I could be wrong, however.

Yeah, when they did the Magic it was everything at once. They've already done the staterooms on the Wonder. Hopefully lessons learned from the Magic's overruns would also applied to streamline the process. I really don't expect the Wonder to overrun quite like the Magic. If it does, like I said we live local to Galveston, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. BUT, if they cancel the drydock I will definitely cancel the cruise. ;)

Hubby & I are booked on the first cruise post-drydock, too. I remember when the first Magic post-drydock was cancelled. If I recall, those people got a nice offer for like 25% off another booking. Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong. I need to go do some searching and look. It's not a huge deal for us if this cruise cancels last minute or even the day of since we live less than 30 minutes from the port. I would feel most terrible for those who have to book air, etc. That would really stink!
DCL refunded any bought through them airfare and travel insurance would pay for the cruise line cancelling the cruise due to the ship not being ready, so everyone should be good?
Apart from those that chose to not buy insurance?

Edit to add from the delayed Magic sailings after dry dock:
DCL is offering guests scheduled for this itinerary both a full refund of the voyage fare and a complimentary sailing or future cruise discount.

Edit to add again Guests may choose a complimentary sailing, of up to five nights in length, on the Disney Magic when sails out of Miami or Port Canaveral, Fla. before May 16, 2014. As another option, DCL guests may use a 35% future cruise discount on any Caribbean or Bahamian sailing of up to seven nights; those trips must be taken by Oct. 31, 2015 and have some exclusions.
This was from October 17, 2013

Last edited:
DCL refunded any bought through them airfare and travel insurance would pay for the cruise line cancelling the cruise due to the ship not being ready, so everyone should be good?
Apart from those that chose to not buy insurance?

I was thinking this would be a fabulous arguement for travel insurance. Truly.

Again, doesn't really apply so much to me because I'm local. Disney rebooked guests on other ships and made sure the fare was applied fairly for the most part. I'd be fine with that. Air & transfers aren't something we need for this particular booking because we live so close to the Port of Galveston.

I was thinking this would be a fabulous arguement for travel insurance. Truly.

Again, doesn't really apply so much to me because I'm local. Disney rebooked guests on other ships and made sure the fare was applied fairly for the most part. I'd be fine with that. Air & transfers aren't something we need for this particular booking because we live so close to the Port of Galveston.

With any cruise, It really is buyer beware of loop holes and cover your behind at all times!

We're cruising on the Wonder from 04/02/16 and I'm wondering if and when we will find out what, if any, reimagining will happen during its upcoming dry dock? I've just been reading all the details of the Dream's refurb and it appears it was all detailed before the work took place-although I might be wrong? We've never been on a DCL (or even any other cruise) and whilst we are very happy with our booking as the ship looks 'Wonder'ful... I can't help but look at the other ships and think we've got the forgotten member of the family. I'd love a magical porthole!! Do you think I'm hoping for too much?! I don't want to be greedy!

We're cruising on the Wonder from 04/02/16 and I'm wondering if and when we will find out what, if any, reimagining will happen during its upcoming dry dock? I've just been reading all the details of the Dream's refurb and it appears it was all detailed before the work took place-although I might be wrong? We've never been on a DCL (or even any other cruise) and whilst we are very happy with our booking as the ship looks 'Wonder'ful... I can't help but look at the other ships and think we've got the forgotten member of the family. I'd love a magical porthole!! Do you think I'm hoping for too much?! I don't want to be greedy!
It's not often that what will be done during dry dock is publicized beforehand. I'm fairly certain that DCL doesn't really know exactly what changes (if any) will be done during the next dry dock, as it may be dependent on the Panama Canal readiness. I sure they have a wish list as to what they'd like to do, but it may turn out to be a "normal" dry dock - general maintenance, painting, new carpets, replacing damaged furniture.

One thing I'm certain about - they won't be adding the virtual portholes. They didn't add them to the Magic during her major re-imagining (something about having to replace/rewire all the electrical). Many of the interior rooms on the Dream class ships are in the same rough area on the ship, making it easier to contain that wiring to a smaller area. The interior rooms on the Magic class ships are all over the ship.

It's not often that what will be done during dry dock is publicized beforehand. I'm fairly certain that DCL doesn't really know exactly what changes (if any) will be done during the next dry dock, as it may be dependent on the Panama Canal readiness. I sure they have a wish list as to what they'd like to do, but it may turn out to be a "normal" dry dock - general maintenance, painting, new carpets, replacing damaged furniture.

One thing I'm certain about - they won't be adding the virtual portholes. They didn't add them to the Magic during her major re-imagining (something about having to replace/rewire all the electrical). Many of the interior rooms on the Dream class ships are in the same rough area on the ship, making it easier to contain that wiring to a smaller area. The interior rooms on the Magic class ships are all over the ship.

They have a priority list as far as what is going to get done. Along with a set amount of money. Theyve probably ordered alot of supplies, like paint tile etc. Some things they may not habe a choice in if it involves a SOLAS update. Wiring for example has a life expectancy. A lot of things maybget done below decks and passengers will never see it. Under normal circumstances they start at 1 and basically go until they run out of time or money. Somethings get put off until the next or during a scheduled cruise. Or theyll do prep work.With the unpredictable lock date, DCL may have 2 lists, 1 with the locks open and the other without. Once they get a better picture of what's going in they'll say go with plan a or plan b.

It's not all the electrical, but an additional supply to a tv monitor, a wall to mount the monitor behind, plus a picture feed from the cameras that they would have to locate forward, aft, port and starboard, that would need to have the animations overlaid onto them from all sent from one central area on the ship to all of the inside cabins.
A lot of work and a lot of cable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter