"Wonder"ing through the Panama Canal Dec 2012 - updated 7/1/12

Day by day we are getting closer to our cruise - I don't think I mentioned that while passing the time til December, DH and I decided to take the 5-night Canadian cruise on Sept 7th. We will departing from NYC on the Magic, going to Halifax and St. John. So my time has been spent on planning that cruise (and trying to keep the details of both trips straight).

Wow - we are at the 135 day mark - time is flying by:hourglass. Not to much to update on - our main decision right now seems to be if we want to fly home Sunday night like planned or spend Sunday night and fly home on Christmas Eve. If we spend the night, we can't decide between staying in Miami, Ft Lauderdale or at Pop Century at WDW. DD wants to stay in Miami, DH and I are leaning towards Disney. The Magic Kingdom is open til 1:00am on the 23rd with Extra Magic hours, but it is 4 hour drive and I'm thinking it would be about 3pm til we arrive at MK (with getting off the ship, renting a car, driving to WDW, checking in and getting the bus). Not sure if it's worrth it :confused3

I have also been busy making my FE gifts - lots of red and black paint all over the place - DD and I are having a great time making them.

I cannot wait to hear all the details of your cruise! The PC is on my bucket list as well...was looking at the PC next spring but Galveston does not really do much for me.

Jill in CO

Wow - we are at the 135 day mark - time is flying by:hourglass. Not to much to update on - our main decision right now seems to be if we want to fly home Sunday night like planned or spend Sunday night and fly home on Christmas Eve. If we spend the night, we can't decide between staying in Miami, Ft Lauderdale or at Pop Century at WDW. DD wants to stay in Miami, DH and I are leaning towards Disney. The Magic Kingdom is open til 1:00am on the 23rd with Extra Magic hours, but it is 4 hour drive and I'm thinking it would be about 3pm til we arrive at MK (with getting off the ship, renting a car, driving to WDW, checking in and getting the bus). Not sure if it's worrth it :confused3

I have also been busy making my FE gifts - lots of red and black paint all over the place - DD and I are having a great time making them.
We're planning on staying in Miami on the 23rd, and then taking Amtrak back to New Jersey. We thought about going to WDW, but it's just too much traveling, and it will be absolutely jammed. We've done the Christmas Eve/Christmas Day thing and promised ourselves never again! And we've held to that promise for 30 years, I don't think I'm going to break it now! We've always wanted to see Miami anyway!

Beth

We're planning on staying in Miami on the 23rd, and then taking Amtrak back to New Jersey. We thought about going to WDW, but it's just too much traveling, and it will be absolutely jammed. We've done the Christmas Eve/Christmas Day thing and promised ourselves never again! And we've held to that promise for 30 years, I don't think I'm going to break it now! We've always wanted to see Miami anyway!

Beth

My thoughts too, we did MK on Christmas Eve and it was a madhouse - I'm sure the day before won't be any better. For the time and cost to get there, it just doesn't seem like it is worth it.

Are you staying with your friends in Miami? We would like to see the best of the area in the short time we are there. I'm at a lost as to what area to stay in and what to see. DD wants the beach, DH and I want the sights. Any tips?? I was looking at the Hollywood area too, or even Ft. Lauderdale.

We took Amtrak's autotrain one year when my DD's were little. We enjoy it and it was nice to have our car with us. We are taking Amtrak to NYC for our cruise and are looking forward to relaxing and avoiding the hassles of driving/flying.

Ok, did I mention that United changed our flight once again. We are now leaving at 7:45am instead of 8:30am. Not a bad change, but it means that we now have to leave to home earlier and our layover is 45 minutes longer. I also found out the we do in fact have to change planes even though the flight number doesn't change. How frustrating.

I am looking for a hotel to stay at in PHL the night before our cruise. I checked trip advisor and can't seem to find one hotel that has positive comments. How can that be - PHL is major airport, how can all the hotels be bad?????

dthogue said:
Ok, did I mention that United changed our flight once again. We are now leaving at 7:45am instead of 8:30am. Not a bad change, but it means that we now have to leave to home earlier and our layover is 45 minutes longer. I also found out the we do in fact have to change planes even though the flight number doesn't change. How frustrating.

I am looking for a hotel to stay at in PHL the night before our cruise. I checked trip advisor and can't seem to find one hotel that has positive comments. How can that be - PHL is major airport, how can all the hotels be bad?????

The airport isn't in the best of neighborhoods. We thought about going down the night before, but decided to stay here and leave in the wee hours of the morning. I still have to fight with United. We paid for extra legroom seats through to LA and right now there aren't any available on the SF to LA leg. I,m going to wait a whole, though, until I think that they've finally decided when and where the flight is going!

Beth

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I have also booked a trip on this Disney Cruise thru the Panama canal and need to try and get my son excused from school. I am just wondering what your angle was to your school and if you were successful! I have never done this before and I am a bit nervous as he just cannot afford a 10 day unexcused absence! Thanks! Susan

I have also booked a trip on this Disney Cruise thru the Panama canal and need to try and get my son excused from school. I am just wondering what your angle was to your school and if you were successful! I have never done this before and I am a bit nervous as he just cannot afford a 10 day unexcused absence! Thanks! Susan

How old is your DS?

Our school allows 10 days excused absence for educational trips. I have never had a problem getting any of my children excused. We have to list the educational value of the trip - we do the standard learning about the culture and customs of other countries, being able to practice Spanish skills with those who speak it as their native language. We will be visiting the Mayan Ruins and having lunch with an Mayan Family. I also told them about the seminars that Disney has regarding the building of the Canal and how that seeing the canal first hand is something that you can't see in a classroom. We will be ziplining and learning about the jungle, riding a camel and learning about the islands, and of course the hisroty of several new countries.

Hope that helps.

Wow - time has flown by - we are 3 weeks and 6 days from the cruise. Several plans have changed...

After several flight changes with United, and an unexpected credit from Southwest that needed to be used or lost, we change our flights to BWI and Southwest. I feel so much better about this flight than the United flight. we usually fly out of BWI and are much more comfortable with that than PHL. We will be driving down Friday night and staying at the Comfort Suites and will fly out at 6:55am Saturday morning. We have a connection in Las Vegas and should arrive at LAX about 12:30pm.

I booked Super Shuttle as our transportation from the airport to our Hollywood Hotel and then on Sunday to get us to the port.

Our FE exchange has grown to 76 cabins and over 200 participants. My gifts are all done and ready for final packing.

Formal and Semi-Formal clothes have been decided upon and everything has been purchased. I need to pick up a few things for me, but other than that all the clothing items are ready to be pack.

Excursions have been booked and deposits made if needed. We will be zipling, taking a camel adventure, visiting the ruins and a segway tour. It is going to be a busy 2 weeks.

I did start gathering items to be packed - I will start with the suticase either this week or next. That should be fun.

Other than that, I think we are ready to go as we can be at this point.

Hi, we have just booked this cruise for our family of five and I would really like to know if it is not to late to get involved in some of the exchanges such as the ornament or if there is any meet ups, etc...We have cruised three times before with Disney but this will be the longest voyage. I would love to connect with others and be a part of the fun :cool1:before we even get on the ship!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter