Wonder dry dock?

DisneyCowgirl

DIS Veteran
still on for September? Delayed? Any info on plans?

We're heading out in November and are getting curious but googling is getting no recent info.

Thanks!

She still go to drydock. What they will do is anyone's guess since they typically don't announce what will be done. However a lot may depend on the construction delays of the Panama canal

Just got off of the Wonder a few days ago...
From the Castaway Club reception, Capt Robert said that the Wonder will go to dry dock and there is a lot of discussion going on right now in Celebration about what will be done. A few comments later the Panama Canal issue was brought up and he did say that if the Canal update is late and the Wonder gets the duck tail that the Magic has, it will not fit through the old canal.

End of Castaway Club/Capt Robert discussion

My comments: I expect that there is an analysis on the cost of adding the duck tail and skipping Alaska in 2017 vs keeping the current footprint, do major updates without changing structure and sailing Alaska in 2017. I have no idea if skipping Alaska for one year is possible since the ports are very much in demand with a short cruising season. I know that in 2014 when we did our Alaskan cruise, the staff was iffy about Alaska cruises after 2016. I truly believe that DCL will follow the current mindset of the Disney company and it will be a cost issue.

I really hope they don't skip Alaska in 2017. We put a placeholder down the last cruise banking on alaska for 2017

Let's say that the PC isn't ready yet by the time DCL has to make a commitment as to the work that will be done so no duck tail. So what changes that the Magic received wouldn't be possible on the Wonder? I assume no AquaDunk but what about redoing Top Siders to Cabanas or changing AP to the animation show?

Let's say that the PC isn't ready yet by the time DCL has to make a commitment as to the work that will be done so no duck tail. So what changes that the Magic received wouldn't be possible on the Wonder? I assume no AquaDunk but what about redoing Top Siders to Cabanas or changing AP to the animation show?
Probably could be done. Also changing Parrot Cay to Carioca's. Updating the kids' club. Changing the lounges on the adult area. Studio Sea to D Lounge.

Magics upgrades took 18 months to plan, agree, and build, and schedule the work.

It " can't" be organised in a short time.

The "advantage" DCL has this time around is they can use the same rough plans and ideas they did for the Magic for the Wonder so they aren't starting from "scratch" on the plans. We don't know if they'll incorporate all the changes including the 2nd mini dry-dock the Magic went through (such as relocating the Edge) but one would assume if it's working and they are receiving positive feedback from the Magic, they will. I certainly don't know for sure what they are doing, however since it was posted not too long ago they had fixed the wall issue for the Panama Canal (@truck1 was it you that posted that?) it would seem to be she will go through the dry dock process as they are assuming the PC would be completed. Of course we all know things can change :)

Heather

Magics upgrades took 18 months to plan, agree, and build, and schedule the work.

It easily can be done. They can, (and probably do), have everything in place to get it done and if the Panama locks aren't completed they table it for another time. They aren't going to sit idly on their hands waiting for final word of completion before they start planning. At least they didn't do that when I was in operations working for Eisner. There was always stuff planned and shelved just waiting for a green light.

They didn't announce any of the plans for the Magic's reimagining (which took place in fall 2013) until April 25 of 2013. I think we will still have a while before details start to leak, especially with the Panama Canal construction schedule hanging over everything.

I guess maybe a better way to ask the question is specifically what can't DCL do to the Wonder, besides the duck tail, if the new PC locks aren't open?

Typically a drydock is to satisfy some international rules regarding inspections of hard to reach areas. Lines take advantage of the down time for major repairs or rehabs that would normally intrude on guest experiences. For example, IMO/SOLAS/ Insurance regs say a ship has to go into dydock 2x in a 5 year period not to exceed 3 years. This is so they can get into the fuel bunkers, sewage tanks, water tanks, sea chests, external rudder and shaft bearings and the all inporatnt, how thick is the hull. Also, there are some things that have a definitive life span, such as the bearings on the thru hulls. All of those have to get changed out at regular intervals.

Realistically, DCL can do whatever changes they want to, as long as it doesn't affect the ships center of gravity, which would require a ducktail.

Last edited:

They can. The easy part is that since the Magic and Wonder are virtual twins structurally,(with a few minor differences, since DCL learned from the Magic when she was built and made some hard to see differences, that were corrected on the Wonder) DCL already has the plans and material lists to do everything to the Wonder that the Magic has now. Its a matter of how far are they going to go?

Keep in mind also, that DCL has at least 1 other class of ships sitting on the shelves, since 2000. They just never built it.

Well we will get an idea for their plan in a few weeks when they announce summer 2017 sailings..... I hope at least

The only thing I would add to Truck 1, is that whatever projects they have decided they are going to do on the Disney Wonder, they will have much of the metal and structural steel cut and sections prebuilt, ready to be installed what the Shipyard periods begins.

AKK

I have a feeling this is common knowledge already, but if not I believe she is headed to Europe for her dry dock sailing empty both ways.

I have a feeling this is common knowledge already, but if not I believe she is headed to Europe for her dry dock sailing empty both ways.

That's a popular rumor for while now. Scott at the DCLblog found articles from the ship yard saying that the Wonder is going there for her major refit. DCL has a few options regarding yards and whos doing what. The 3 yards that come to immediate mind are in no particular order, Freeport, Bahamas, Cadiz Spain, BAE in Va, and a yard in Vancouver. Realistically BAE is probably out since DCL had a hard time getting the necessary work visas for the crews coming from overseas. That leaves Freeport and Cadiz in the east, and Vancouver in the west. Freeport has a past hx with DCL and now Cadiz does also, but both yards have done as much damage during a drydock period as they fixed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter