Women's Boots for Boston Winters?

SplashMo

DIS Veteran
We are getting DD ready for a move to Boston. Looking for recommendations and/or what to look for in a boot? She will be outside frequently and more than most folks might be.

I like my Sorel boots. They keep my keep warm and dry. They have some cute styles too.
I also wear my sheepskin boots all the time. They are very warm but they take a while to dry out once they get really wet.

Boston tends to be a little behind the fashion centers (London, NYC and Paris) but they're still generally quite a bit ahead of everyone else, so honestly, I wouldn't buy any boots until a few weeks after your move to Boston. I would let your daughter can take in the lay of the land, so to speak, and make her boot decisions then.

Any good winter boot though should be waterproof and insulated. Although, if the boot isn't waterproof to begin with, you can usually spray them down with 3M.

Personally I would stick with a good brand. Sorel is great. Start with something waterproof as you get a lot of nasty icy wet days which means lots of puddles etc. Make sure they fit well and that she can really walk in them. Some winter boots are so thick and bulky which is fine for going from car to house but not necessarily say from apartment to subway to work kind of thing.

I've lived in cold winter climes all my life. NYC, Pittsburgh, Upstate NY.
Generally I have a few different boots.

1) a good pair of lands end snow boats. These usually last a very long time. they are definitely water proof and rated for cold. Generally I don't wear them every day, only when the weather is miserable.

2) a good pair of black riding boots. these are a bit more fashionable. because they have a flat heal, I can wear nice heavy socks with them. you can dress them up but they are really cool with the jeans tucked in them or the new legging type pants.

3) and lastly a good pair of boots with heels.

Couple of things. I invest in the best leather I can afford at the time. I have a pair of Frye leather boots that set me back a couple of hundred bucks but if you keep them shined clean them if they get salt from the street on them, they are guaranteed to last many, many years and they never ever go out of style.

Boston born and bred and I have a pair of LL Bean's that have lasted for years. I also wear Kamiks which are similar to Sorels and I got a great deal at the end of season at a local sporting goods store.

When Boston gets lots of snow, there is a great deal of icy water/snow that you have to step through at the curbs. So make sure the boots are waterproof.

I take the train each day and it amazes me to see people with regular shoes trying to avoid the snow and ice.

I have LL Bean boots as well and find they work quite well.

It also depends on your DD's comfort in cold weather. I have one DD who shivers when it is 60 degrees and another who loves 20 degree weather. So the warmth needed depends on the wearer's comfort with cold as well.

1) a good pair of lands end snow boats. These usually last a very long time. they are definitely water proof and rated for cold. Generally I don't wear them every day, only when the weather is miserable.

2) a good pair of black riding boots. these are a bit more fashionable. because they have a flat heal, I can wear nice heavy socks with them. you can dress them up but they are really cool with the jeans tucked in them or the new legging type pants.

3) and lastly a good pair of boots with heels.

Couple of things. I invest in the best leather I can afford at the time. I have a pair of Frye leather boots that set me back a couple of hundred bucks but if you keep them shined clean them if they get salt from the street on them, they are guaranteed to last many, many years and they never ever go out of style.

:thumbsup2

Wait til she gets there and then take a "field trip" up to LL Bean in Freeport, ME for boots. They have tons and will last literally a lifetime.

some brands that are great for snow and cold...Sorel, Kamik,Lands End, Ll Bean, Keen...all waterproof,well made and useful.And some of those brands are even cute too!

Boston tends to be a little behind the fashion centers (London, NYC and Paris) but they're still generally quite a bit ahead of everyone else, so honestly, I wouldn't buy any boots until a few weeks after your move to Boston. I would let your daughter can take in the lay of the land, so to speak, and make her boot decisions then.

:lmao:

I don't think Boston's fashion reputation is an issue here.

OP- It would be helpful to know your daughter's age. It would also be useful to know if she will just be walking around in these, or will she be doing outdoor activities (snowshoeing, hiking) or working outdoors?

I have lived in Boston several times and I often wore my Ugg Brooks Boots. I have had them more then 10 years and they still look great. No suede outers! The snow will soak right in.

People wear all kinds of boots in Boston; any warm, waterproof tall boot would work.

Thanks for all of the great tips! She is 19 and will be walking a lot.

For a 19 year old walking alot, I'd go with something like this:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+...sw12cat1740002,dsw12cat1740052,dsw10cat120044

A little more fashionable, good tread, warm shearling inside, mostly waterproof (on a slushy day if she gets them really wet, her feet might end up damp). High enough to step in a small snowbank.

Also, smartwool socks. The boots are important, the socks are vital.

But you want something with shearling inside, you want something that will hold back water (in the cold, the water isn't an issue - its when it warms up and is slushy), that comes above the ankle, with a good rubber tread. And smartwool socks - did I mention the socks?

If she will be in Downtown Boston, I would suggest option 2 with removable fleece linings. Even thought we get a lot of snow, most of Downtown Boston is shoveled quite well in the winter and something like Sorel will be too clunky for walking around all day. Hunter boots with lining seems to be a popular choice among the young ladies around town.

If she will be in Downtown Boston, I would suggest option 2 with removable fleece linings. Even thought we get a lot of snow, most of Downtown Boston is shoveled quite well in the winter and something like Sorel will be too clunky for walking around all day. Hunter boots with lining seems to be a popular choice among the young ladies around town.

While parts are shoveled, I would agree a tall boot would be better because you still have to step through snow banks. Also if we get multiple storms like a few years ago, there was nowhere to put the snow so you ended up with some steep drifts to get through.

I also live in Boston and I can't live with out my LLbean boots! Not only are they actually made with New England winters in mind they are guaranteed to last. If something thing happens to them in the next couple years you can bring them back to the store and get a credit for the price of the boots to use in the store.

There's a big shoe store at Downtown Crossing in Boston, if she wants to wait.

When I lived there (4 years at BU) I remember wearing clunky hiking boots a lot. But maybe that was the style back then? I do know I couldn't afford LL Bean but my Maine-born roomie had the ones with the plastic feet and leather top (forget what they are called.) I tried them once and my feet FROZE! I grew up 20 miles from Boston so it wasn't a climate thing.

She will tramp through a LOT of slushie snow puddles so waterproof will be key.

While parts are shoveled, I would agree a tall boot would be better because you still have to step through snow banks. Also if we get multiple storms like a few years ago, there was nowhere to put the snow so you ended up with some steep drifts to get through.

Absolutely. As others might have mentioned above, the corners on a lot of city blocks can turn into an absolute mess and resemble a small pond with a little bit of melting. And in Boston, you're not going to get that crazy cold weather snow all the time, you usually get that wet heavy snow that melts easier from being close to the warmer ocean air.

I sure do hope we have a quiet winter. I did not enjoy several of my short morning treks just out to the commuter rail station to get into the office. I really had no business being out on the road and almost paid the price for it several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter