• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Woman Kills Intruder Breaking Into Her Home

I just saw this story on the evening news. I'm not sure I'd have the courage to actually do it but good for her. She's had a rough few weeks and she is so young!

I saw this, too. I'm glad she & her son are safe. I am also glad 911 told her the right thing, wait till the intruders have entered the house, so she wouldn't get in trouble for shooting them. If the police has arrested her, she would still have a case for self defense. She feared for her & her son's life. They were in mortal danger. Two intruders clearly broke in and entered her home with a weapon.

Go Mama!

I saw this, too. I'm glad she & her son are safe. I am also glad 911 told her the right thing, wait till the intruders have entered the house, so she wouldn't get in trouble for shooting them. If the police has arrested her, she would still have a case for self defense. She feared for her & her son's life. They were in mortal danger. Two intruders clearly broke in and entered her home with a weapon.

Go Mama!

I'm proud of her, but that 911 operator was very passive about the whole thing (to be fair, there might not have been more that she could do). I am still upset it took the Blanchard police 21 minutes to get there. Good for her for defending herself, and I hope her next 18 years are much less eventful / stressful.

We saw this too, and it highlighted the few dozen states with "Castle Domicile" rules. My state is NOT one of them. Know your laws and rights before you shoot? How she had the peace of mind to ask, I don't know!

I need a gun.

Me too. Sadly our gun laws are horrible in the city. You should see the news when they have gun amnesty day. All the illegal guns turned in. Meanwhile the gun laws here in the city do not allow guns legally, except to law enforcement & the like.

Reading about times like this, I really envy Texas & their gun laws.

I'm proud of her, but that 911 operator was very passive about the whole thing (to be fair, there might not have been more that she could do). I am still upset it took the Blanchard police 21 minutes to get there. Good for her for defending herself, and I hope her next 18 years are much less eventful / stressful.

You must have read another report than the story above. :confused3 From what I read on yahoo, the 911 dispatcher told her CORRECTLY that she could not shoot until the intruders entered the home.

I took firearms training classes and was told very specifically what the laws are and what we would have to do in order for a shooting to be CLEARLY determined self defense by cops and in court. Other than sending the police, the dispatcher could NOT tell her to shoot the people. She could only tell her when legally it would be considered okay.

If she shot them outside, they could have claimed they were coming up to ask for directions and she shot them unprovoked.

Perhaps, the police took so long to let the guy she shot bleed to death. :rolleyes1 A shot gun blast, center mass, at point blank range, he didn't have much of a chance. But, the suspect bleeding out, saves the bother of a trial & having him locked up.

I actually liked what the dispatcher said. When asked, "Can I shoot them?" by the Mom, the dispatcher very calmly and matter of factly says: "I can't tell you to do that, but you do what you have to to protect you and your baby!"

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/woman-kills-intruder-breaking-home-15286257

Wow, good for her. So sad that her husband recently passed but never corner a mama grizzly with her cub.

This is exactly why my DH bought me a handgun for Christmas! You never know when you are going to have to defend yourself or your family. We are going to take our concealed weapons permit classes in a few weeks. I had never shot a handgun until he got me this one. I am getting more comfortable with it and doing well at hitting my target. DH works night shift sometimes and I can't tell you the peace of mind I have now to know that at least have a chance to try to protect myself and my family. I would hate for an intruder to break in on us and be absolutely helpless. DS also has a .22 rifle in his closet for the same reason. His room is on the opposite side of the house so he can defend himself if need be. I know a lot of people are against guns but in this day and time I feel they are a neccessity. I was always afraid of having guns in the house when my kids were younger but they are old enough now to know they are not toys and they can kill you. DS is into hunting now and has had many safety and gun handling lessons with my dad.

Good for her. :thumbsup2 I would imagine the second intruder who turned himself in thinks twice before doing something like this again. Especially after seeing his partner in crime being shot right back out the door.

I seriously have thought about getting a gun, along with training for myself. DH works nights and I'm home alone with DD5. We live in what I'd call a safe area but there are still reports of break ins and well you just never know. I've just always worried about having a loaded gun in the house with a young child. I wasn't raised with a gun in the house and so I'm insecure on how to go about having a gun and small child in the same house. I always figured if someone were to break in, my dogs would alert me fairly quickly, but by the time I unlocked the gun and then unlocked where the bullets were it would be too late? It's a small house. I figured I might just be better off jumping out naked at the intruder and wacking them with a baseball bat? :scared1: I am pretty dangerous and quite accurate with those. :thumbsup2 Lately there have been a lot of claims where the intruders knock first. If you don't answer they break in assuming no one is home. If you do answer they force themselves into your home. It's a no win. I can stay pretty calm in a high stress situation so that's been another reason I've considered having one. It just all goes back to being unfamiliar with having a fire arm in the same house as a young child. I know many friends and family that do, I just personally am hesitant to do so, due to lack of experience.

This is exactly why my DH bought me a handgun for Christmas! You never know when you are going to have to defend yourself or your family. We are going to take our concealed weapons permit classes in a few weeks. I had never shot a handgun until he got me this one. I am getting more comfortable with it and doing well at hitting my target. DH works night shift sometimes and I can't tell you the peace of mind I have now to know that at least have a chance to try to protect myself and my family. I would hate for an intruder to break in on us and be absolutely helpless. DS also has a .22 rifle in his closet for the same reason. His room is on the opposite side of the house so he can defend himself if need be. I know a lot of people are against guns but in this day and time I feel they are a neccessity. I was always afraid of having guns in the house when my kids were younger but they are old enough now to know they are not toys and they can kill you. DS is into hunting now and has had many safety and gun handling lessons with my dad.

When my DH was working out here before we moved out for several months I was on my own with the kids for long stretches of time. Before he left he took me to the range for several weekends to shoot, showed me how to take the safety off of every gun, load them, clean them, etc. We had a safe that was up high that has a finger access code that you could feel in the dark what buttons you were on by raised dimples where we kept the handgun that was registered to me. Thankfully, I never had to use it, but I slept a ton better knowing that if I had to use deadly force to protect my kids I could. We also got an alarm system with a cell backup that he had installed before he left.

Me too. Sadly our gun laws are horrible in the city. You should see the news when they have gun amnesty day. All the illegal guns turned in. Meanwhile the gun laws here in the city do not allow guns legally, except to law enforcement & the like.

Reading about times like this, I really envy Texas & their gun laws.

You must have read another report than the story above. :confused3 From what I read on yahoo, the 911 dispatcher told her CORRECTLY that she could not shoot until the intruders entered the home.

I took firearms training classes and was told very specifically what the laws are and what we would have to do in order for a shooting to be CLEARLY determined self defense by cops and in court. Other than sending the police, the dispatcher could NOT tell her to shoot the people. She could only tell her when legally it would be considered okay.

If she shot them outside, they could have claimed they were coming up to ask for directions and she shot them unprovoked.

Perhaps, the police took so long to let the guy she shot bleed to death. :rolleyes1 A shot gun blast, center mass, at point black range, he didn't have much of a chance. But, the suspect bleeding out, saves the bother of a trial & having him locked up.

if you go to the local news papers / sites, they have more details AND they have the actual 911 calls up.

It shouldn't take police 21 minutes to get to her home. She is outside the OKC metro area and rural, but even in rural areas there is no excuse for it to take that long to respond. I'm sure the poor girl would have rather had the police respond and not have shot the guy - but she is a hero for doing what she did.

It makes me so angry that the dirt bag was casing her house and knew that she had just lost her husband and was alone and vulnerable.:mad:

It sounds like she was amazingly level headed about the whole thing, even put a bottle in the babies mouth, hope I could have been that cool in a time of pressure.

I have mixed feelings about having guns in my home. We have one. DH keeps it in a high, safe place. He keeps the ammo in a different place. He keeps them hidden from me because I have a certain mental health "history", if you know what i mean. :rolleyes1

When I was in my late teens, we had a near-miss at my house. My dad had left us and my mom worked night shift at the hospital. The 5 of us kids stayed at home alone. We were 11 to 19 at that time. Mother kept a loaded shot gun by the bed, "just in case." We girls all knew how to load and point that gun. One night, my younger sister(18) came in very late from a date. We girls all slept in one room. i heard someone enter the room, very quietly opening and closing the door so the lock wouldn't click. I couldn't see anything, so I called out, "Patti, is that you?"...nothing...then i hear pants unzip---that has to be the most chilling sound you can hear in the pitch black dark. I shouldered the gun and pointed it toward the sound and shouted,"Patti, if that's you speak up. If not, I'm fixing to kill you!" Patti dived for the overhead light, screaming "Don't shoot me!" Scared us both have to death. I could have very easily killed my sister that night.

I do not take gun ownership lightly.

I didn't listen to the entire call, only what was on the news clip I watched. However I am under the impression 911 operators go through a lot of training to stay calm in all situations. What I heard the operator did not seem passive, but like I said I only heard a small clip.

I fell really bad for the woman. I hope she is ok mentally. Even though she was protecting her baby to kill someone must be so hard.

I never would have been able to stay so level headed if that was me. This makes me feel like I need to learn how to use the gun at my dad's, and makes me feel like we need something for protection at my mom's.

When I was in high school, someone rang our doorbell at 1am. My younger sisters and I have rooms upstairs, and my mom and step-dad live downstairs, on the other side of the house. My sisters and I woke up, and my mom and step-dad didn't! I made my sisters go inside their room with their cell phones, and I belly crawled down the stairs(which are right in front of the door), and then ran to my parents room as fast as I could and woke them up. It ended up being people who came to repossess a car, that wasn't ours. My step-dad never opened the door- he just stood there with a crow bar watching two guys sit in a big truck outside our house for 10 minutes or so. I've never been that scared before.

If someone forced their way into our house, my sisters and I would really have no way to defend ourselves.

She did what she had to do to protect her baby, which is amazing, because I don't think I could do that as calmly as she did, if at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter