Woman hearing herself for the first time. (get your tissues ready...)

This reminded me of when my best friend got her implant and heard her own voice for the first time. It is a miracle what modern medicine/technology can do.

My DD14 was 5 when she got her first pair of hearing aids. On the way out of the audiologist's office she stopped in her tracks and looked at me very funny and asked "what is that sound?" She had never heard traffic before. The first time she flushed the toilet it scared the holy be-jabbers out of her- she ran from the bathroom in screaming because the toilet was so loud. It is amazing to find out what you might be missing if you have never heard it before- and as with my daughter, it was overwhelming at first.

Now, when she has her hearing aids out and is trying to watch TV or listen to the radio, she blasts those of us with typical hearing. We are always prompting her to put her "ears" in so the rest of us don't go deaf. Nothing quite like Hannah Montana or the Wizards of Waverly Place at about 90 decibels!

Technology is amazing. Miraculous really. As a result of DD's hearing aids, she went from failing kindergarten to being a straight A student! God bless the audiologists out there who get to perform miracles every day!!!!!

Aw, that's wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Val said:
Technology is amazing. Miraculous really. As a result of DD's hearing aids, she went from failing kindergarten to being a straight A student!

That's fantastic. That must have been a tough road you went down initially with your daughter. So glad she's doing well. :hug:

What I going on with you lately? Everything ok? You are becoming King of the tearjerkers. That was beautiful.

I saw this the other day.

Got to give her and her speech therapists great props. For somebody who has been deaf from birth, her speech is incredibly clear. Usually, one would expect diction such as Marlee Matlin's. She has worked hard! Good for her. I can't imagine the feeling of hearing for the first time, it must be incredible!

I love the one with the baby hearing his mother's voice for first time too.

I saw this the other day.

Got to give her and her speech therapists great props. For somebody who has been deaf from birth, her speech is incredibly clear. Usually, one would expect diction such as Marlee Matlin's. She has worked hard! Good for her. I can't imagine the feeling of hearing for the first time, it must be incredible!

I love the one with the baby hearing his mother's voice for first time too.

I was wondering if she had been a hearing person at one time due to the clarity of her speech, certainly not typical of a person who has never heard before.

That was very touching- the one with the baby responding to his Mother's voice was so sweet :love: It was like he was thinking, "Hey, I didn't know you could do that! Keep doing it, I really like it"

I was wondering if she had been a hearing person at one time due to the clarity of her speech, certainly not typical of a person who has never heard before.

Since it says she has been deaf since birth and this is the first time she has heard her voice, I am a bit skeptical on the validity of those claims due to her perfectly clear diction. Having a daughter who has spent 12 years with a speech therapist, her perfect clarity of speech is highly unusual.

My guess would be that she lost hearing at a later age and was a speaking person at one time. However, doesn't take away from her emotions of regaining sound. Still wonderful.

Snopes doesn't have anything on it yet though.

Since it says she has been deaf since birth and this is the first time she has heard her voice, I am a bit skeptical on the validity of those claims due to her perfectly clear diction. Having a daughter who has spent 12 years with a speech therapist, her perfect clarity of speech is highly unusual.

My guess would be that she lost hearing at a later age and was a speaking person at one time. However, doesn't take away from her emotions of regaining sound. Still wonderful.

Snopes doesn't have anything on it yet though.

I just watched it and this doesn't add up. If she had been deaf since birth, I would think she wouldn't know what her nurse was saying if she wasn't looking at her lips, just hearing her when her eyes were closed.....or am I missing something?

She was interviewed on the Today show this morning. She was hearing impaired, not deaf. She has been able to hear her entire life - just in a very bad way (sounds get jumbled together). This was the first time that she heard her voice clearly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter