• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WOC and Fantasmic with a camcorder on a tripod

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
I was hoping someone can help me with my decision. I'm planning to go Disneyland to watch Fantasmic and WOC since we haven't had a chance to yet and we want to capture it on our camcorder. I was looking into getting reserved seats and setting up my camcorder and so I was hoping to get some input and feedback on tips, suggestions, and anything else I should be aware of.

In looking at the Fantasmic seating chart, it appears that the reserved seating is on an elevated platform. The only other place that seems to be elevated for Fantasmic is on the POTC bridge but of course that me a harder place to secure since it's not part of a reserved seating area. For those that have sat in the reserved seating area, can you provide some feedback on where to set up a camcorder so it get s good shot of the action but yet doesn't get in anybody's way?

The same question for WOC. We were thinking about getting a dining package a Ariel's and from reviewing the seating chart, it appears that the reserved seating is in the back elevated from the seats up in front. Again, can someone with experience give me some feedback on setting up a camcorder?

Thanks for your help.

I can't comment on the Fantasmic! seating as I haven't done that, but I will just let you know that there is no "seating" for World of Color, everyone stands. Even if you pay extra for the preferred viewing area, there is a high likelihood that there will be people standing in front of you unless you get there very early for a railing spot, and even then there will be people standing below you. By looking at YouTube, I can see that others have obviously filmed World of Color, it is just a little tricky since everyone is standing. In fact, one poster on YouTube said he got his footage by setting up the tripod on top of a wall making the camera about 10 feet off the ground (here is that link if you're curious) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTpz0v0UPI.

I have done a lot of videotaping of F!, WoC and the fireworks with a tripod. It is a pain in the butt to carry it with me when I am at the parks, but it is good to watch the video that is not moving a lot when you see other videos. It is worth it too me of having a steady video and to carry a tripod with me for any of the shows. Also on the DLR website said that you can only bring a tripod that can fit inside your bag.

For the F! dessert seating area. It is most likely if you want to set up a tripod in that area the tripod has to be behind the row of seats during the show. I have never tried that before, but I have heard that if you don't want to sit in the reserved seating area, you can also sit in on stair walkway where the anchor is. That is another possible way to tape the show instead from the reserved seating area. I have one time brought my monopod with me in the seating area and I was in the first row of seats. Luckily, no one behind me complained about the camcorder during the show. But I would not bring a tripod and put in front of other people since it might bother them.

If you don't want to get the F! dessert package, another way is to get a ground sitting area right at the ROA. You just go at the end of the rope off area where the walkway is and you can easily set up a tripod and have no complaints about it. I have done this several times with my tripod for F! and I have never had a CM asked me and take it down. But if you are in the front or middle, they will ask you to take it down.

Just like what the pp said that the WoC dining package for AG or WCT only gets you a preferred viewing area of the show and there is no seats. The only seats is the VIP and handicapped. The sooner you get to the viewing area, the better the spot you will have for the show. If you get a railing spot, you will be fine videotaping the show. You also got to be careful when bringing a tripod is that when kids try to squeeze there way in before the show starts, they can bump the tripod. So you got to protect your tripod if something like that happens. It is important for anyone that is seeing the show is to get a railing spot since it is not fun to be behind someone during the show. Not only with the tall people, the adults would even put the kids on top of their shoulders so they can see it. If you show up very early and first in line, you can get your railing spot and set up your tripod for the shows.

You can check out my WoC videos and you can see that I use my tripod to keep it steady during the show. This is from blue section. WoC 5/28/11 Part 1

I have had security tell me not to use my tripod. In fact I got into quite a disagreement with security and guest relations when I shot my 7 camera project of WOC. It was horrible, they said my camera gear was "too professional" and pulled me out of my crown spot. I still have no clue what that means!

Regardless, the project it went off well anyway.

They will prolly leave you alone unless you have a REALLY nice camera.

CLIFF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter