• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WL vs AKL?

sea3668rn

Earning My Ears
Hi all- I am planning our fall 2014 visit. My parents have decided they may tag along with us, so we will have 2 people in their 60's, DH and myself,my DD (will be celebrating 5th birthday) and DS (will be just shy of 3). So far the plan is to get 2 separate rooms because my parents are not 100% sure they are coming and may stay a shorter period than us. We are driving, so we will have a car available.

We had been thinking about WL, because it looks amazing and I love the location, but my heart keeps pulling me over to AKL. I've always wanted to stay there ever since I first saw it, and my father mentioned that he feels the same way. My main concern is that it will be too far away from everything.

We may or may not go back to the resort in the afternoon, and we are planning 2 MK days, 1-2 Epcot days, 1 AK day and 1 HS day. We are also planning a resort day for a "break". A savanna room would probably be too much- we are looking at pool view- but I still think we might enjoy being able to walk around and enjoy the animals. I'd love to hear opinions on which would be a better choice for us- especially people who have stayed at AKL. Is the location really a problem?

If you feel a pull towards AKL, go for it! Especially if your father feels the same way about it. If you have a car, that will help too.

I want to make a pitch for WL, it is wonderful and so close to MK (by boat), we love it there.

AKL is far from all the parks (except AK).

We love riding the boat to the Contemporary to pick up the monorail to other resorts or to transfer to Epcot. The boat to Fort Wilderness is great, very tranquil over there ... good (reasonably priced) buffets and Hoop de doo (a must!) a great beach and wonderful playground for a child

WL has 2 great pools (with ducks!) and hot tubs. The counter service restaurant is good.

I recommend visiting AKL, perhaps on the day you visit AK. Walk around the resort which is fabulous, then take a bus to MK and ride the boat back to WL.

I have stayed at both many times and prefer WL. But, if you really feel a pull towards AKL then stay there. I am always amazed at the people that talk about AKL being out away from it all. That's actually why I like it. And because they are out by themselves, Disney sees to it that they have great bus service that they share with no other resort. :thumbsup2

We had a wonderful stay with my parents (in their 60s), and my wife and I with our almost 3 year old DD last year. We stayed at WL, and my parents loved it, but AKL is a wonderful resort too.

We really enjoy the location of WL with its beautiful views of Bay Lake and having the boat to MK. AKL is very similar (designed by the same architect) and has a zero entry pool, a bigger QS restaurant, and of course the animals! A downside of AKL is only having buses, but the travel times haven't been that bad for us visiting there. Having a car could get around that too, but you then have to deal with the TTC for the MK. If you all are willing to be patient with the buses (which can be necessary no matter where you stay) it will work out fine.

We also really enjoyed having two connecting rooms. Each family was able to have their own private space, but we had a larger area when everyone was being together. Have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup2

We went to WL last year with our 1 1/2 year old. We definitely loved the proximity to MK. We could go back to our room quickly for a nap and then back out. The boat ride is great, and a treat unto itself, especially for kids. We visited Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Fort Wilderness while we were there, all very easy to get to by boat. The Hoop Dee Doo was great as another poster said. We haven't stayed at AKL but did visit it while we were there. It looks great, too, but we really loved the WL because of the proximity to MK. It's a really beautiful resort.

This year we are doing POFQ for a more budget-friendly trip, but the next time we do Deluxe, I think we will do WL again!

Good luck! I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Took my parents in their 60's a few years ago to AKL and it was the best decsion we could have made. They would go to the parks in the mornings and by afternoon head back to AKL to rest and enjoy the scenery in the comfort of air conditioning as they said. In fact the one day they stayed at the resort all day and came out to the park for dinner. They truly enjoyed every minute of that resort. There is so much to see with the animals as well as all the decorative african art. They did have dinner at Jiko and highly recommend it. My DH and DS's are booked to stay there again next year. It's one of our favorite resorts. By the way we have stayed at WL before. There is just more to do at AKL scenery wise in my opinion than at WL.

We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. As the pp said, AKL is out away from everything, but the buses aren't bad at all. We found them to be quick and efficient as they only go to AKL and Kidani so there's no sharing with any other resort(s). I also love that AKL is kind of isolated because it's quiet and peaceful (IMO). With that said, you can't go wrong with either resort as they are both great and you will have an amazing trip no matter which one you choose. Good luck.

I would stay at WL. Both resorts are beautiful and very similar IMO. Room sizes and resort layout seems comparable. Pricing is very much the same, relatively affordable for deluxe resorts.

The WL is convenient to the MK with quick boat or bus service. AKL is close to the AK with a 5 min bus ride. However, for the inconvenient parks (AK from WL and MK from AKL) it is much easier to use your car to go to the AKL than to use a car to conveniently get to the MK. Once you park at the MK you still need to get to the TTC and then in to the MK. FROM THE WL you will be brought by boat right to the MK entrance. Also, you are planning 2 days at the MK and only 1 day at the AK.

The AKL is easy to drive to and have a look around on your resort day, if you wish to do so. Alternatively, you could visit the AKL on you AK day as the AK rarely fills an entire day.

Both resorts are fun to spend a day relaxing in, but the WL also has boats to Fort Wilderness and to the CR which has monorail access to the POLy and the GF.

It just seems logical to stay at the WL.

However, logic aside, if the theme of the AKL is what you want than it is no hardship to stay here. The AKL is one of my favourite resorts in WDW. It is amazing!!!

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. Both resorts are awesome.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I am still torn- but have a bit of time to think about it. To complicate matters I started looking into renting DVC points last night- just curious about how much a 2 bedroom would cost us- and now I am wondering if that is the way to go. So many decisions- I am glad I have a year to plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter