WL - Standard vs Wooded View & DDP

karyn0995

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I am part of a reunion group staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a few weeks. As many times as I have been to WDW, I have never actually stayed in (or see more than photos of) the Wilderness Lodge.

Right now it is just DS (6) and me, but there is a chance DH will be joining us. We are currently booked in a standard view room but I am questioning whether it's worth upgrading to a Wooded view (price diff = $45/night). Normally I am not a picky person when it comes to hotel rooms (being at Disney is good enough for me!!) BUT I did see photos of some of the standard rooms overlooking dumpsters and roof lines, and it would be luck to get stuck with those! Then again, how much time will we be spending in the room? Anyway, if you have a preference for one over the other please chime in.

I also have never done the dining plan. Neither my son nor I are big eaters so I'm not sure there's value in getting the DDP, other than the convenience of having meals paid before hand. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am part of a reunion group staying at the Wilderness Lodge in a few weeks. As many times as I have been to WDW, I have never actually stayed in (or see more than photos of) the Wilderness Lodge.

Right now it is just DS (6) and me, but there is a chance DH will be joining us. We are currently booked in a standard view room but I am questioning whether it's worth upgrading to a Wooded view (price diff = $45/night). Normally I am not a picky person when it comes to hotel rooms (being at Disney is good enough for me!!) BUT I did see photos of some of the standard rooms overlooking dumpsters and roof lines, and it would be luck to get stuck with those! Then again, how much time will we be spending in the room? Anyway, if you have a preference for one over the other please chime in.

I also have never done the dining plan. Neither my son nor I are big eaters so I'm not sure there's value in getting the DDP, other than the convenience of having meals paid before hand. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, some standard views overlook the loading docks. We never get a standard view because we spend a lot of time on the balcony. Some woods view rooms can face the Electric Magic Pageant which is every night on the lake. Northside Woodsview Rooms overlooking Otter Pond on the 4-6 floors can see Wishes at MK. It really depends how much time you'll be on the balcony or in the room. If you're at a beautiful resort such as WL, I am sure you'll spend more time at the resort then you think. For more information, check the WL Information thread.

DDP. We are going this summer and are not getting the DDP. We don't feel it would pay, as we do not need Dessert with every meal. If you and your son will eat all the food, which includes 1 QS, 1 Sit down and a snack, that's fine. But if it's more like a waste of money, like it would be for us, then do not do it. If DH joins you it may change but still, you may like to decide what you want to eat on your own.

We got the wooded view when we went and our first night, after a long couple of flights from the UK, got into our room and out to the balcony just in time to see the fireworks from MK. It was a perfect start to our vacation and worth the price just for that.

Hi,

Thanks!

As the pp said, it depends on how much time you will be spending out on the balcony. I love going out on the balcony early in the morning and at night, so for me, the extra cost would be worth it. With that said, if you won't go out there much (or at all), I don't think I would spend the extra $45/nt for woods view. As far as the DDP, getting it or not getting it is personal preference. We love it, but if you aren't big eaters and just want to wing it as far as meals, I would maybe go without it.

We love WL and choose to book standard rooms. It is very common to get a room upgrade at WL simply based on availability since most of the rooms at the resort are Woods View or better. If you want to guarantee a particular view it might be worry paying the extra, but just going with standard gets you standard view or better. You might get a room over a loading dock, or you might get some pixie dust and get something nicer.

We also particularly enjoy the DDP. For us it saves a little bit, but the big deal is not worrying about the cost at each individual meal. We enjoy having it taken care of ahead of time.

Enjoy your trip, WL is an awesome resort.

We booked a woods-view for our Christmas 2010 trip because standard-view wasn't available. Generally speaking, we'll book the least expensive view where ever we stay; just feel like we get the biggest bang for buck that way. With that said, we wouldn't hesitate to pay for a woods-view again!!! Our room faced towards MK. We loved our balcony. It was quiet (I'm a super light sleeper prone to migraines) and relaxing. :goodvibes

We've done the dining plan a couple of times. It was nice when we had whole family w/us. One time we had so many TS credits left over we used the meals on CS meals. We took sandwiches home from the Beach Club Marketplace as to go meals. They were the best sandwiches ever!!

It's probably been about 5 years since we've stayed at the WL. We usually had booked Woodsview but decided to book a standard that time to save a little money. I was up the next morning at 4 am listening to the beep beep beep of the trucks unloading at the loading dock. I am not a deep sleeper and I could not sleep through it. It seemed to go on one after the other. I did go to the front desk and got our room switched that morning. I would personally opt to upgrade to the woodsview myself. This was 5 years ago so not sure what time their trucks deliver now. I was told that it was only certain days and that day was their busiest.

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned the beeping delivery trucks very early in the morning. We booked a standard room a number of years ago and encountered the same noise. I went to the front desk and complained and the CM said there was nothing he could do. That was a while ago and I let it slide.

I have to admit that after travelling to Disney many times since that WL visit, I would demand a different room or resort now. I understand that standard views can be not so nice but noise infiltrates into the room.

We stayed at WL after that visit and I booked a courtyard room. It was much nicer. If the extra money wouldn't dampen your vacation, I would upgrade to a higher category.

If you decide to stay with the standard room, I would put a request in for a view towards the Villas. This would keep you away from the loading docks. If you decide to upgrade to woods view, I would ask for a room facing the MK on the 4th or 5th floor. You would see some of the fireworks at MK and have a peaceful view overlooking the otter pond.

When you make your reservations with CRO have them put your wishes on the reservation. You aren't guaranteed anything, but I have found that they do their best to accommodate what you ask for. DW and I have stayed at WL many times and have had good luck with our request.

I would book woods view. I love spending time on the balcony, start my day sitting there with morning coffee, and afternoon break, and evenings. I prefer north wing.

The DDP is a lot of food, and even with eatting 1 TS & 1 CS meal a day we still come out under the price of DDP. For instance, we aren't pop drinkers, so order ice water with meals, and never want dessert with lunch. With dinner if we want dessert we usually share one.
I pack stuff for breakfast. Easy to put a couple of bags of bagels and some of those individual packets of instant oatmeal in luggage. And WL has a big grocery section in the back of the Mercantile Gift shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter