WL or POFQ? Battle of the sexes!

lolobug

DIS Veteran
So, DH and I are at odds over this. I try to do things cheap as possible. He enjoys himself and worries about finances later. I say POFQ, save $1000 spend on fun extras. He says, WL... He thinks POFQ doesn't look as nice as WL and he doesn't want to be unhappy with his living arrangements for a week... Is it worth the fight? Or do you agree tat WL is worth it?
BTw... This is our first trip with (2) little girls (2 and 5).
Thanks!

How often do you spend time I the resort? For me, it's important. It's just DBF and I (we don't have kids) so there are often times where we take breaks and sit on the balcony and relax, or cool off in the lobby. If I was somewhere that I didn't enjoy the aesthetics, it would impact how I felt overall about my trip.

A good friend of mine and his new wife are the opposite. They are rope drop to close kind of people. Rooms are somewhere to sleep and shower. The only reason they would choose a deluxe is because of its proximity to a certain park.

To be perfectly honest I have no interest in staying at POFQ but it seems like a great place for kids. Maybe there's a compromise that can be made? An upgrade to a better room at POFQ perhaps?

ETA: If you do WL, it is 1000% worth it!!! It's less expensive than the other deluxes but we love it. It's also a lot less crowded as people don't go there to shop or hang out in the lobby as often as CR, Poly, etc.

lolobug said:
So, DH and I are at odds over this. I try to do things cheap as possible. He enjoys himself and worries about finances later. I say POFQ, save $1000 spend on fun extras. He says, WL... He thinks POFQ doesn't look as nice as WL and he doesn't want to be unhappy with his living arrangements for a week... Is it worth the fight? Or do you agree tat WL is worth it?
Thanks!

Ok,well having stayed at both I will say my ds 9,but was 7 at the time looooves pofq and want to return everytime we go back. It is a smaller resort which is a nice change,the rooms are very subtley themed,but,still quaint. We spent a week there and I would go back without a doubt. Love the food court,and the kids getting a "coin" in the lobby to toss in the fountain. Buses are good here too.
WL,is one of my DH favs. Stayed here for a week also, the kids enjoyed the pool area and the little beach section. The lobby does really transport you away from disney for a moment,its beautiful! The qs food,roaring forks left alot to be desired though as the seating is not enough nor is the food selection. We had a woods view and could see the MK fireworks from our balacony which was so magical. Buses here are pretty good except we did share buses a few times with GF resort guests. The boat to MK was THE best,yeah maybe to some slower but that breeze hitting you as you riding along is just so relaxing. I would say in the end WL is a place you gotta try atleast once. To me its worth the $ if youre gonna actually have time to spend just at the resort. If not, POFQ is not too shabby as a runner up. Good luck and enjoy!

WL is worth every penny IMHO. ::yes::

We also have two little girls and the WL is hands down their favorite. So much so, that while I was able to talk them into staying at YC last month....I am not having as much success with the Poly discussions for next year. :rolleyes2

They (and DH and I) feel like WL is home. :love:

We are big WL fans but..... Mind you but.... We like going to.WDW at least twice a year and sometimes 3 times... To get the most put of our AP's....

WL, has out priced itself, AP discounts are a lot less then before Mao to make a schedule of trips possible... We've made trips to POFQ, best moderate out there, way compact over Riverside...

We just returned from POFQ 2 days ago... Great trip, money saved and that can make the one trip to WL possible

We always stay at POFQ and have no complaints. That being said, if I was given the option to stay at WL, I would jump on it!

My family (myself, DW, DD3, parents, sisters, brother-in-law, and DN9, just had the same discussion for the two resorts for a trip next August. I was able to convince my dad (who is paying), that the upgrade to Wilderness Lodge will be worth it. My wife and I stayed at AKL in 2006, and my family has stayed at Poly (back when there was just the Magic Kingdom), CBR x2, and POR. I've heard nothing but good about Wilderness Lodge, and I can't wait.

I would go with WL. Close to MK, great resort. You can take to boat over to Mk, the cabins or the camp grounds. Ther is more to do at deluxe resorts. You also have a balcony to relax on at night while the kids are sleeping.

Thanks!

We've never stayed at POFQ, but we love the WL. We have stayed at one mod and although we loved the resort and had a great trip, the WL is definitely worth the extra cost (to us) over a mod. If the extra $1,000 is doable, I'd go with WL. With the age of your girls you will probably be spending a lot of time at MK, which is convenient via boat. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose.

It sounds like your DH and mine would get along great. Our decision last trip was for the same resorts (having stayed FQ before), for the same reason. Our compromise was WL if DH could find a way to save the extra $ to stay there in the 9 months leading up to the trip. He did (being self employed he could do this), and WL was wonderful. The location is great, resort is beautiful. The only downfall like a PP mentioned is the small CS with limited menu but we ate mostly elsewhere anyway. DH definitely spent more time at the resort, so he didn't regret the extra money a bit. I wouldn't hesitate staying FQ again, if DH weren't going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter