WL or AKL???

ashleypmo

DIS Veteran
We'll be at the World first week of May 08: Me, DH, DD12, DS8, DD4, DS2, and DM; 7 in all! Since we'll be needing 2 rooms for the whole posse, I made my peace w/ the fact that we'll be staying in a value....BUT...
Suppose--just suppose--that we could get a good AP discount or other code in early May...we still couldn't afford a deluxe for 8 nights...but we could stay ASMo for 5 nights and then switch over to .....

and here the plot thickens!

I have always, always thought I would just love to stay at WL. I'm a Texas gal, and although I love Texas, I also love the whole Pacific Northwest/ Wyoming/ Lodge thing.:cloud9: In fact, when I built our home (as in I was the general contractor, because I am a crazy person), I went for the whole lodge/cabin rustic look. And in the beginning stages of planning this trip, I even looked into FW cabins, but decided against it because we will need two bathrooms. So anyway, I thought the WL would be a perfect match, right???:love:

And then I start looking on allears at the photo slideshow for AKL. Wow! Pretty cool! And I started thinking...you know, living in Texas, I could have more opportunity to see the lodge architecture than African. And who knows, if I ever finish the inside of this house the way I want it (with 4 kids, I'm planning to get it done by April....of 2025:lmao: ) I'll feel like I'm in a lodge in Jackson Hole, Wyoming 24/7...

So you're thinking, obviously this neurotic woman needs our help!!!:rolleyes1

Here's a summary (I'd say "brief" summary, but you've read this far already, so I know you wouldn't believe me;) ) of some of our...priorities? needs? considerations? y'all know what I mean:

Budget--it may only be for three nights, but it's still two rooms!:scared: Does either one have more of a likelihood of offering discounts than the other?

Connecting rooms--I think I read that the WL doesn't have connecting rooms w/ standard view, and again, we'll be needing the most economical room.

Transportation--DM will probably be bringing DD4 & DS2 back to the room in the afternoon for naps. DS2 is special needs and can be quite a handful,:tigger: so good transportation is a must.

"WOW!!" factor--one thing about ASMovies is that the kids walk around with their jaws dropped looking at the 4 story tall Buzz Lightyear and Pongo statues. Which resort is going to give them the biggest "WOW!!" ****NOTE***we live in the DFW area, near the Dallas and Ft. Worth Zoos, and we usually go to Fossil Rim Wildlife Park annually, which is the highest rated wildlife park in the country, not technically in the Texas Hill Country, but you wouldn't know it from the amazing rolling green terrain. All that to say that just seeing the animals is not going to be the biggest deal for the kids. In fact, they weren't really impressed by Kilamanjaro Safaris last time, because we have Aoudads and Giraffes sticking their heads in our car window at FR. So for those of you who looooove:love: the AKL, tell me about what else "wows" you besides the animals.

activities-- for instance, one of the things I wanted to do this trip was the campfire at FW, and if we stay at WL, we'll practically be there, and can also see the water parade, and DD12 wants to go see the Percherons at the stables at FW. And I wanted to give DH a parasailing experience for his early b'day present, and at WL we'll be right by the CR. What other awesome activities (especially for kiddos) are going on at the WL and AKL???

Anything else you can think of would be great, too! I know that both resorts have very loyal followings, and I really look forward to reading everyone's input!

TIA!
Anything else you can think of would be great!!!

Both resorts are beautiful!!! I'm more partial to the decor of WL but in my opinion, you can't beat AKL's transportation. I have stayed at WL 3 times and have never been thrilled with their transportation. The boat the MK is a plus but AKL does not share buses with any other resort.

Also, they both have good food courts.

Just my 2 cents.

My two cents

Ak is my favorite.

We stayed at WL and eat at whispering canyons quite a bit (great restuarant for kids by the way) but for US ithat resort was just missing something and i concur the transportation was terrible (not sure why).

We have gone 4 times in the beginning of May and find that the Animal Kingdom lodge seems to offer more discounts than WL. The night vision glasses for animal viewing is pretty cool. They also have a storytime-around the firepit outside. We usually try to get a bunkroom, (queen, set of bunkbeds and a sofa that flips over to a twin bed) and on our last stay there there was a door connecting to the next room.

Okay, so far...so good. Sounds like two votes for AKL. :teacher:

Keep 'em comin', fellow DISers!:earsboy:

AKL is just such a special place, and for me an African theme feels so much more special than a Northwest theme that is already in our country.

There is one point to consider about the WL. They have renovated rooms and look very nice. Of course, AKL is only six years old, so they still look very nice too.

I've heard they are doing work on AKL. Is it just the DVC villas construction, or are the redoing any of the rooms???

Although I like AKL my vote is for WL.

On any given day of the week --"FOR FREE" Kids can do Open crafts and Games,Magic Cookie Hour, Wilderness Finger Painting,Beach Games,Pirates and Princesses,Pin Trading,Board Games,Duck Races,Coloring,Let's Go Fly a Kite,Scavenger Hunt,Mickey Bingo and kids card games.Also the Wonders of the Lodge Tour. Plus you have access to boats and bikes. And the Electrical Water Pageant at night --watching it from the beach.

Where ever you stay---have a Magical time.:wizard:

I think the AKL is just too far out from everything. We stayed at the WL this past Dec. and we booked standard view and requested connecting rooms and got them. I had been told there werent any by other disers, but we got rooms right above the check in desk with connecting doors (family stayed in the other room). I vote for the WL. Its a beautiful resort!!

This is from allearsnet:

Yes, there are a number of special programs offered throughout the day at AKL. Be sure to ask for a list when you check-in to the hotel. A sampling of the recent programs offered at the resort (all programs subject to change without notice):

--flamingo feedings at the Flamingo Pond
--animal tracking at Arusha Rock
--Music of the Savanna in the Sunset Lounge
--wildlife games in the Sunset Lounge
--African games and crafts on the Uzima Pool Deck
--cultural safari in the Sunset Lounge
--animal viewing with Night Vision
--Adventure Camp for children 6-14 that includes ostrich egg painting, private lodge tour and lunch overlooking the savanna.
--Cookie decorating at Boma

Outside, at the Arusha Rock, there is nightly African storytelling next to Ogun's Firepit. (Storytelling is held indoors in the event of inclement weather.) If you have the opportunity, take the time to speak with the storytellers.

Though I've never stayed at either, I eat at WCC and Mara all the time. Love them both. Logically it makes sense that AKL would be a better choice for transportation since it isn't shared by another resort.

Just returned from WL last week. It was our 3rd stay there since 2001. The whole family loves the place. In fact, I gave my 14yr old daughter the option of going to WDW last year, but told her we would not stay at the WL. She decided it wasn't worth going if we couldn't stay at WL. I have to agree.

It's truly an incredible place to just sit in the lobby, listen to the music and be overwhelmed by the amazing architecture of the place. It is amazingly relaxing even in the middle of your high activity vacation.

True, there are down sides. Transportation is not the best at WL. The boat will get you to CR where you can exit, take a monorail to the transfer station to get another monorail to Epcot. Or the boat my just decided to take you to Ft Wilderness before getting you to your destination. I found driving my rental car was far easier and quicker than taking the WL transportation. However, that small inconvenience is far outweighed the stunning beauty of the WL.

I have never stayed at AKL, and I'm afraid I will never get the chance. Our heart is at WL and we just can't handle staying anywhere else.

Have a great time.

Okay, so that's one more vote for WL. DS8 is an explorer, and WL does look like a great place for exploring...

I think with about 1,432 more opinions I could probably make up my mind!;)

We stayed at WL when my DS's were 10 and 7. We loved the pool, the slide, the beach, the boat rentals, WCC, RF, the lobby, everything! Transportation was great, especially the boat ride to and from MK.

We stayed at AKL when they were 13 and 10. DS10 is an animal lover, so we really loved our savannah-view room. DS13 just loves to eat, so Boma buffet was great for him -- DS10 did NOT like the food at AKL. The Mara provided some food he liked, but it just wasn't his thing to be at AKL -- and he loved the animals, so that was saying something. The AKL pool seemed larger than WL's, but the kids really didn't have a preference, one over the other.

Both places are great, I think it just depends on your own kids.

Let me echo catbertdave99 (I gotta change my avatar), it depends on your own family. We loved the WL theme, the magnificent lobby, etc. On a rainy afternoon break from the parks while DW was napping, kids and I explored - looking for the hidden Mickeys, finding out of the way nooks and crannies, watched the ducks, rabbits, and armadillos. Of course, you can get plenty of those at home.

With young kids we spent more time at the MK than anywhere else, so it made sense to stay nearby. The boat ride is relaxing and allows everyone to decompress from the park stimulation without being on a cramped bus. Oh, in the morning it always goes to MK directly from WL and after 3 it always goes directly to WL from the MK.

I'm usually focused on efficiency at work, so you'd think I'd have a problem with WL sharing buses, but I told myself that I'm on vacation and that extra 10 minutes to go to another resort doesn't matter in the long run. The WCC at WL was good, but the BBQ in the Canyon Skillet wasn't up to Texas standards IMHO.

Having never been to AKL, I can't say anything about it. My heart was always set on WL from the first time DW and peeked in the lobby 11 years ago. I could have stayed somewhere else, but I'd still have that regret for not staying at the WL. If you're not going back for a long time, take that into consideration when making your choice.

Good luck on making your plans.

We'll be at the World first week of May 08: Me, DH, DD12, DS8, DD4, DS2, and DM; 7 in all! Since we'll be needing 2 rooms for the whole posse, I made my peace w/ the fact that we'll be staying in a value....BUT...
Suppose--just suppose--that we could get a good AP discount or other code in early May...we still couldn't afford a deluxe for 8 nights...but we could stay ASMo for 5 nights and then switch over to .....

"WOW!!" factor--one thing about ASMovies is that the kids walk around with their jaws dropped looking at the 4 story tall Buzz Lightyear and Pongo statues. Which resort is going to give them the biggest "WOW!!" ****NOTE***we live in the DFW area, near the Dallas and Ft. Worth Zoos, and we usually go to Fossil Rim Wildlife Park annually, which is the highest rated wildlife park in the country, not technically in the Texas Hill Country, but you wouldn't know it from the amazing rolling green terrain. All that to say that just seeing the animals is not going to be the biggest deal for the kids. In fact, they weren't really impressed by Kilamanjaro Safaris last time, because we have Aoudads and Giraffes sticking their heads in our car window at FR. So for those of you who looooove:love: the AKL, tell me about what else "wows" you besides the animals.

Based on your timing AKV conversions at AKL will still likely be underway while you are at WDW which may impact avaiability to get a "great rate" at AKL.

The animals won't be a big "wow" for your kids

These twe factors make me vote WL

Both resorts are two of our favorite. However, WOW factor goes to WL. AKL always seemed too far removed from everything.
WL has a better pool area imo, a nice beach overlooking the lake. Bike rentals so you can explore the trails that lead to Fort Wilderness.

:cool2: Y'all are awesome! :thumbsup2 Thanks for all the input!

Keep those opinions coming: I haven't quite made up my mind yet :confused3 (although I'm leaning toward WL to be honest...):upsidedow

I'm thinking that since DD12 will want to go see the Percherons in the Ft Wilderness stables, and since we're going to do the campfire singalong:rolleyes1 , also at FtW, that we should pick (drumroll please).... WL. Also, I want to give DH the...whaddya call it? parasailing for an early bday, and that's at the contemporary. All of those things would be super convenient from WL....

BUT...:confused3
(there's always a "but." )

On the other hand, we wouldn't necessarily have to be at WL to do those things. We could cut out early from MK one day, take the boat over to FtW, and then take the boat back to MK and then hop the bus back to AK if we stayed there.

Whereas because AKL is so remote, I'm thinking it would be the least convenient to visit if we're not staying there. And I have heard so many good things about Boma, I'd kind of like to be able to try it. Is it going to be super inconvenient to get there if we're not staying there???

Well, I thought I'd made up my mind! I guess I really am leaning toward WL, so all of you passionate AKL fans, come tell me why you think AK is better. I'm all:listen: ears!

We (DW, DS8 and DD4) have stayed in both the AKL and WL. I would DEFINITELY recommend the WL. Here's why:

1: The views of the lake are beautiful. Yes, the Savannah is cool, but to me it is not as peaceful as the lake.
2: Coming and going from the MK via boat is very cool Yes, it can be slower, but it makes for a relaxing time.
3: The lobby is MUCH more impressive. It is soaring in a way that no other hotel except for the CR is; but it is much warmer and inviting.
4: It will not have any construction. The AKL is putting up more Villas, so even if it does not affect your view / room, it will impact the overall ambiance of the resort.
5: The AKL really is "nowhere." Even getting to the AK is not easy. The bus service is great, but I like feeling closer to the action.

In terms of bookings, the WL is busier (read: more sought after) than the AKL. Though I love both resorts, I can see why people like WL better.

Whatever you choose, though, you will love it. :love:

We've stayed at both AKL and WL. We just went back in May and stayed at WL a 2nd time. Until I hit the lottery and can justify the monorail resorts, I'll pick WL every time. The transportation is shared with FW at the WL, but it's still faster than the trip to AKL. I always felt like I was going to be in Kansas by the time we finally got off the bus! I loved the boat transportation to WL from MK. We had our 18 MO Grandprincess this trip and it was so easy to go back for naps. When we were at AKL, Mara seemed to be very remote and hard to stop in for a snack. Quick service at WL is much more convenient--Roaring Forks?? (My husband calls it the dungeon because of the stone walls). I'm sure my experience is also "tainted" by the fact that our rooms have been convenient both WL trips while at AKL, we had to have had one of the farthest rooms from the lobby. I just dreaded going back to the room because it was such a hike. My vote is definitely for WL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter